Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medication costs in NZ

Medication costs in NZ

Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:29 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medication costs in NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS
As in HERE
I was thinking more of the time wasters who roll into A&E with a cold or in growing toe nail etc and the nurses have to attend them whereby if a charge was involved for non emergency............
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes requirements change ! It is now possible to stay in NZ for 6 mths for each of the two years and get PRV so why not do that and maintain ILE for the UK at the same time? Also we have a prepared house waiting for us in Chch with no letting fees and lower than market rent all furnished so that was enough to change from Hutt Valley to Chch for now!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catchafire
These are symptoms of poor lifestyle choices. Is not the cheapest solution is a change of diet and exercise?
Wrong....do your research they can be inherited diseases and in some cases no degree of diet control or exercise can avoid them so don't try to be a smart alec or try to pull a fast one pal.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
Yes requirements change ! It is now possible to stay in NZ for 6 mths for each of the two years and get PRV so why not do that and maintain ILE for the UK at the same time? Also we have a prepared house waiting for us in Chch with no letting fees and lower than market rent all furnished so that was enough to change from Hutt Valley to Chch for now!
That has been the case since at least 2008 though. A PRV is no different to the IRRV that was issued prior to Nov 2010.
Requirements have not changed but terminology has..

I am a little concerned about you having a furnished rental in Chch at lower than market rent especially as you are not in NZ. The housing market in Chch is 'busy' to say the least, why is this place available? Not trying to worry you, it just seems a little strange...
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva

Also, I haven't seen or heard of any clinics charging $15-$20 for a doctors appointment unless you are looking at prices for those who have a community service card (CSC) - which is means tested discount card - but your income and circumstances have to be quite low to get one. Also not sure if you have just arrived whether you qualify or there is a stand down period - maybe someone on else here has any knowledge around this.
I was in Henderson last week and you can see a Dr for $15 and all children under 18 years of age are free. There are also some predominantly Maori clinics in and around Auckland that also charge similar fees. It is just that the majority of Drs charge a lot more.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Blood tests cost around $8 each time you have one taken.
I have had lots of blood tests in Auckland and never been charged. Either my GP or my hospital consultant has requested a blood test - whether I go to the hospital or Diagnostic or Labtests it is free.

I wonder why you are being charged, seems strange?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
That has been the case since at least 2008 though. A PRV is no different to the IRRV that was issued prior to Nov 2010.
Requirements have not changed but terminology has..

I am a little concerned about you having a furnished rental in Chch at lower than market rent especially as you are not in NZ. The housing market in Chch is 'busy' to say the least, why is this place available? Not trying to worry you, it just seems a little strange...
Its a rental from a friend who is going to move out of her home and rent it to us while herself get a place near her place of work 35km away!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nero
I was in Henderson last week and you can see a Dr for $15 and all children under 18 years of age are free. There are also some predominantly Maori clinics in and around Auckland that also charge similar fees. It is just that the majority of Drs charge a lot more.
$15 a visit every couple of months is ok but does anyone know if there are similar charging clinics in Chch??
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nero
I have had lots of blood tests in Auckland and never been charged. Either my GP or my hospital consultant has requested a blood test - whether I go to the hospital or Diagnostic or Labtests it is free.

I wonder why you are being charged, seems strange?

Free blood tests is Fab news, if they can do it free in AKL surely they must be free in CHCH as well
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:22 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong....do your research they can be inherited diseases and in some cases no degree of diet control or exercise can avoid them so don't try to be a smart alec or try to pull a fast one pal.
Or what? It was a perfectly reasonable remark, if you come onto a Internet forum to discuss your wife's medical condition, try to keep your toys in the pram if you get a answer you don't agree with.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Or what? It was a perfectly reasonable remark, if you come onto a Internet forum to discuss your wife's medical condition, try to keep your toys in the pram if you get a answer you don't agree with.

whatever Bull you come up with needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of which

Thanks folks, seems the best thing would be to bring all my savings with me and buy a house outright $250k cash with perhaps a very small mortgage of $60-70k and then with no rent to pay the $50k salary may be enough to get by on...
Or are you just being cheap getting a prescription for your wife?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Speaking of which

Or are you just being cheap getting a prescription for your wife?

How would you get medication in NZ without a prescription anyway you d*** head? Use a thing called a 'brain' - its NZ not Somalia !
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

How would you get medication in NZ without a prescription anyway you d*** head? Use a thing called a 'brain' - its NZ not Somalia !
I don't think this calls for personal insults!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please stick to discussing the topic, and cut out the personal insults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.