Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medicals and the position on high BMI

Medicals and the position on high BMI

Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

ashes2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals and the position on high BMI

Ok, so making an application under parent scheme to emigrate to NZ with our daughter in November 2008 we heard last month(March 2010) that our daughter could not be accepted onto our application due to her current age,ie 25yrs next month.
So we were upset ,yes,but its not the end of the world as she could go with a work visa.
Our medical reports were referred to the MA and he has now requested further bloods (high blood pressure controlled by medication) and a spirometry test due to a past diagnosis of C0PD along with a need to achieve a BMI of lower than 35 due to this medical history,CO requested this by the
23rd April.
To date bloods and spirometry test for COPD results are all a ok.
Now i am 56yrs old and a big guy at 6foot 1 and have lost 11.5 kgs this year but need to lose another 6kgs before the due date. Apart from having my arm cut off in order to go live near to my grandchildren our house is trembling with the thought that this might just not happen......................
Can anyone, other than offering to cut my arm off,offer some advice on how we might develop our position to be a little more positive with the CO.
NB I am now also taking Orlistat (dont ask)
In anticipation.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice
Smile Re: Medicals and the position on high BMI

Originally Posted by ashes2 View Post
Ok, so making an application under parent scheme to emigrate to NZ with our daughter in November 2008 we heard last month(March 2010) that our daughter could not be accepted onto our application due to her current age,ie 25yrs next month.
So we were upset ,yes,but its not the end of the world as she could go with a work visa.
Our medical reports were referred to the MA and he has now requested further bloods (high blood pressure controlled by medication) and a spirometry test due to a past diagnosis of C0PD along with a need to achieve a BMI of lower than 35 due to this medical history,CO requested this by the
23rd April.
To date bloods and spirometry test for COPD results are all a ok.
Now i am 56yrs old and a big guy at 6foot 1 and have lost 11.5 kgs this year but need to lose another 6kgs before the due date. Apart from having my arm cut off in order to go live near to my grandchildren our house is trembling with the thought that this might just not happen......................
Can anyone, other than offering to cut my arm off,offer some advice on how we might develop our position to be a little more positive with the CO.
NB I am now also taking Orlistat (dont ask)
In anticipation.
hi, sorry you are having issues with medicals may i ask what your current bmi is as it has to be under 35, i also think you have to be very carefull with orilstat as it can cause repiratory infections among many others and with your copd that would just make matters worse and i think that the case oficer will see that you have had a huge weight loss to date that there might not be as much pressure to loose the remaining 6kg as you think, maybe a phone call to your case officer regarding this may help

sam
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

ashes2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals and the position on high BMI

Hi, BMI currently at 37.5, when we last spoke to our CO he seemed adamant that he wanted the BMI at 35 by end of April, thanks for your comment on orlistat we will look into that. Thanks for your comments and will keep you posted