Medicals / Bmi

Old May 9th 2007, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

ma larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant future
Smile Medicals / Bmi

Can anybody tell me is BMI (Body mass index) calculated in a medical for PR? If so and it's unfavourable will it affect application? I am a big but healthy (touch wood) person. However I am now on the mother of all diets just in case!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ma Larkin
Old May 9th 2007, 10:43 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals / Bmi

I think they brought it down to 30 for the new medicals.
But don't worry - there are threads from people somewhere and if you're over it you need to have a fasting glucose test to check for diabetes and thats all they've said.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

for anyone wanting to calculate their BMI
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/stc/bodyboost/bmi.html
Old May 10th 2007, 12:58 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, if you have a higher BMI, they do a fasting glucose to check for diabetes. Its possible that your chloestoral will be higher as well. Its also a lot to do with family history. So, me for example my BMI was higher because I've been leading a very unhealthy lifestyle. I was checked for diabetes, which I passed. In fact, all other respects I am very healthy, except for my cholestoral. My liver is slightly off par, but thats a cholestoral thing. No one in my family (immediate) has died of a heart attack, and the reason for my unhealthy level is because I had a baby, a very bad pregnancy which resulted in no activity for basically the whole nine months and then I had a car crash, so I couldn't excercise (and I was naughty, I didn't watch my diet either). I called immigration, who said to have the Doctor write a letter to confirm if this lack of activity was the cause and there was no other under lying problems. He was happy to write a letter to that affect. He explained that in some cases, immigration may ask you to be re tested in six months, or they require further tests to check you're health.

My advice to you and anyone else in this situation, is to hold your hands up, and say why you might have a weight issue, but you're working on it. As long as no one in your family dropped dead of an illness that you might have, its OK. Generally.

Anyway, that's my experience of my situation. And conversations I had with immigration and the Doctor.

Hope this helps!
Old May 10th 2007, 1:16 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ma larkin
Can anybody tell me is BMI (Body mass index) calculated in a medical for PR? If so and it's unfavourable will it affect application? I am a big but healthy (touch wood) person. However I am now on the mother of all diets just in case!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ma Larkin
Regardless of the outcome of your medical certificates, good on ya for getting the weight off. Just remember PCPC (proper choices and portion control) and you'll be a svelte number in due time.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:42 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

They can be a bit fattist in NZ. Pots and black kettles, if you ask me (half the time).
Old May 10th 2007, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

i also have a bit of a weight issue and i have been on a mission since the begining of january, i want to lose over 5 stone by the end of the year, i have lost 2 stone so far, so still have a long way to go, i have been to slimming world and i can certainly say that you can eat a lot and not hungry (but the right foods) and the weight comes off. I dont have high cholesterol or really high blood pressure buti know that i need to be thinner to have just to feel better in myself

if you go onto www.slimmingworld.co.uk it might give you some meal ideas.

i dont even have a clue what my bmi is, but i hate to think, i might have a look when i have lost a bit more weight.

with regards

kirstie
Old May 10th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I knew my BMI would be a bit over so I fasted for the 12 hrs before the medical and sure enough the Dr did a blood test.
The liver function GT gamma was high because I'd had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks before the medicals. I had another blood test for both things 2 months later and both were fine. My GP also wrote a letter stating that she thought the first results were due to the operation and I was doing all the right things to bring the cholesterol down.
The visa team like to see a letter from consultants reassuring them you are now healthy, if at almost any time in the past you've needed to consult with a hospital.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

ma larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant futurema larkin has a brilliant future

Thanks one and all for the info. I am a bit happier now I know they go off blood glucose level too as mine is fine and BP also fine.

I actually go to weight watchers (for 20 years on and off!!) but have had 5 children too. I have been tonight actually and lost 7lbs.........3 cheers please. So applying for residency has helped me to focus on it better.

Regards to all
Ma Larkin (Who in fact I rather resemble!)
Old May 11th 2007, 4:28 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ma larkin
Thanks one and all for the info. I am a bit happier now I know they go off blood glucose level too as mine is fine and BP also fine.

I actually go to weight watchers (for 20 years on and off!!) but have had 5 children too. I have been tonight actually and lost 7lbs.........3 cheers please. So applying for residency has helped me to focus on it better.

Regards to all
Ma Larkin (Who in fact I rather resemble!)
Well done you! Karma for you loss! (doesn't sound right, does it? )
Old May 11th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

congratulations on losing 7lb that is fab in one week.

i am really pleased for you

dont you think that when you have positive thinking you do better??

with regards

kirstie
Old May 15th 2007, 5:59 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all on this thread,
intresting one this, I have to admit its been something i've worried about, as I have lost a stone with Slimming World in 7 months, so a bit slow, and have been at Curves Gym for 2 months, but my high BMI has stayed the same, so I just gotta keep slogging away at it. Gonna go to the Docs and ask for this Glucose Tolerance test though, as I feeling so worried about it, that maybe if thats o.k, I'll stop worrying so much. Our Medicals will be in about 6 weeks time, so just gotta "be good " as they say for next few weeks. I'll be mortified if I fail my medical and delay us in going.
I'll keep my eyes open for any more news on this by anyone else.
Best Wishes All,
Marika
Old May 16th 2007, 9:46 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Search fatty livers , theres plenty to read on earlier threads. I know I did
Old May 16th 2007, 9:59 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
Search fatty livers , theres plenty to read on earlier threads. I know I did
good advice - but personally worry about it when you need to... otherwise you will go insane!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

hi

i am not really worried about mine, just as long as the weight comes off, but i am sure that if they can see that you have lost weight already and it is still coming off i am sure that will be ok.
i am not at the stage of applying for medicals at the moment, but i will just have to give it 100%, get my ipod back out and go walking on an evening.

i am sure that we will all be ok

with regards

kirstie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.