British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/medicals-400679/)

Spacecake799 Oct 6th 2006 9:09 am

Medicals

Hope someone can offer some advice.
We arrive with no job on Nov 7th. Hubby has an interview with an agency soon after. We are bringing all relevant paperwork and police checks with us. However we have'nt done the medicals, so, would you try to fit them in before we leave, or can they be done once in NZ? If so whats the waiting time/price like for NZ?
Also would we go for residency(would it come through quick enough if we were actually there) or would he go for a work permit? would that be much quicker? Should my OH just get a medical or do we all need one even for a work permit?
Sorry for all the questions but were running out of time and not intending to return to UK once we have left. Thanks. carole :D

hazeandsteve Oct 6th 2006 8:54 pm

Re: Medicals

For the medical, you'll need to take a chest x-ray with you.
The list of doctors is quite well spread out, so just get on the phone, book them in that order, then at least you've had 'em done.
Best to pay now and not need them than to not and do methinks.

Am Loolah Oct 6th 2006 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
For the medical, you'll need to take a chest x-ray with you.
The list of doctors is quite well spread out, so just get on the phone, book them in that order, then at least you've had 'em done.
Best to pay now and not need them than to not and do methinks.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're a little more expensive to have done in NZ? Could be wrong? Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Gosh - that was helpful!!

sunshine_and_rain Oct 6th 2006 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm sure I read somewhere that they're a little more expensive to have done in NZ? Could be wrong? Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Gosh - that was helpful!!

We had ours done here and here and it was definately cheaper, fepends on your GP etc I think?

Am Loolah Oct 6th 2006 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
We had ours done here and here and it was definately cheaper, fepends on your GP etc I think?

I apologise - see, never trust a fairy!! We're too obsessed with polishing our tiaras!

jueinnz Oct 7th 2006 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I apologise - see, never trust a fairy!! We're too obsessed with polishing our tiaras!

Had mine done here to, no problem at all, just rang the local GP and told him what I wanted, yes I was a little confused initially that you have to go somewhere else to get a blood test and an xray, but hey when you move to a new country you learn to ask the questions and not worry about looking silly!!!!!

Spacecake799 Oct 7th 2006 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Had mine done here to, no problem at all, just rang the local GP and told him what I wanted, yes I was a little confused initially that you have to go somewhere else to get a blood test and an xray, but hey when you move to a new country you learn to ask the questions and not worry about looking silly!!!!!

Thanks for the help. Just one more question, do we all need a medical for my husband to get a work permit or only him. Thanks :D

lardyl Oct 7th 2006 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hope someone can offer some advice.
We arrive with no job on Nov 7th. Hubby has an interview with an agency soon after. We are bringing all relevant paperwork and police checks with us. However we have'nt done the medicals, so, would you try to fit them in before we leave, or can they be done once in NZ? If so whats the waiting time/price like for NZ?
Also would we go for residency(would it come through quick enough if we were actually there) or would he go for a work permit? would that be much quicker? Should my OH just get a medical or do we all need one even for a work permit?
Sorry for all the questions but were running out of time and not intending to return to UK once we have left. Thanks. carole :D

for medicals in short order in our (Cov) area check out the Handsworth Medical Centre - HWMS Ltd, 0121 507 8290 - they could fit our family of four in within a week when we booked a fortnight ago - but half-term might be tricky...
cost for 2 adults & 2 kids is about £640 unless you have a valid chest x-ray....they have x-ray faclilites there and do it all in one appointment...
good luck
ian

sunshine_and_rain Oct 7th 2006 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
for medicals in short order in our (Cov) area check out the Handsworth Medical Centre - HWMS Ltd, 0121 507 8290 - they could fit our family of four in within a week when we booked a fortnight ago - but half-term might be tricky...
cost for 2 adults & 2 kids is about £640 unless you have a valid chest x-ray....they have x-ray faclilites there and do it all in one appointment...
good luck
ian

Bloomin Heck - Definately cheaper here!!

lardyl Oct 8th 2006 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Bloomin Heck - Definately cheaper here!!

interesting - the main cost for our medicals are the blood tests for the adults - well over £100 each!!! - are we comparing apples with pears ?>???

:D