medical in nz

Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:30 pm
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of
Default medical in nz

what are your personal experiences of the medical system in NZ? how did it compare to experiences of medical system in UK?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:10 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: medical in nz

Do you mean as a patient or as a practitioner?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

got appt same day. unfortunately we hadn't got our registration in on time to get funded so cost me $80 odd for the consultation. few days later still had problem so called them and they said they would make up another prescription and to collect. as I was unable to drive due to it being vertigo they were happy enough to fax over the prescription to my husbands workplace so that he could take it to a chemist local to him to collect that day and bring home to me. Had to go back in a week later to be checked and that consultation was just $20. Prescriptions seem to be cheaper, but I'm not sure if its a set price or priced by what ever medicine it is.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I only went to see a doctor once and I thought she was good. As a resident I am entitled to medical treatments. Just had to pay the registration fee and a small amount for the medication.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 4:53 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

As a type 2 diabetic, I have to see my doctor regularly and I must say that, compared with the UK, the service I get at my local surgery is first class.

I don't have to make an appointment, (although I can if I want), and usually only have to wait about 20-30 minutes. True, I have to pay for the consultation but at $17 this hardly breaks the bank and prescriptions are only $3 per item, and my NZ doctor will prescribe 3 months medication at one time where as my UK one would only ever prescribe one month at a time.

All hospital treatment, routine blood tests, xrays etc are all free of charge.

So overall, I'm very happy with the NZ health service.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:40 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Seems fine.

You should bear in mind that almost any citizen is badly placed to judge any medical system in the round, most peoples experiences are just that, biased and statistically invalid as a result.

In my experience the NZ medical systems seems fine, this is based on:

Being first attender at a near-fatal RTA
Having immigration medicals here
2 doctors consultations for my children
1 injury involving physio for 3mths for me

So that is my view, but hardly based on an encyclopaedic knowledge of the system.