Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medical - Mammograms

Medical - Mammograms

Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough
Default Medical - Mammograms

Hi All..........have been reading and watching but so far have not said much but i now have a question that i hope someone can help me with.

My OH is a returning kiwi after spending most of his working life in the UK he is a retired head teacher and i work for the NHS (yes over 50!!!). I read that not only do i need a standard medical but also a mammogram because of my age. I cant see anything relating to this in the panel of doctors and wondered if this is something i have to find out and get done myself or if there is a panel mammographer (if that makes sense). Anyway help of any kind would be gratefully received.

Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Re: Medical - Mammograms

Hi catt - have just read through the medical form and, the way I read it, you would have to have a breast examination because you're over 45 but you could avoid that if you had a recent (within 6 months) mammo or breast ultrasound. I don't think there would be any need for you to have a mammogram before the medical, the physical examination would be OK. I would ring and check with the panel docs tho', just to make sure.
Here in NZ, screening mammography is carried out from the age of 45 so you would probably get called for one soon after your arrival anyway (- bet that's made your day!!) Speaking as a radiographer who's taken mammograms in the past - it's not a bundle of laughs for us either!
Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Ambrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant future

Hi Catt

I am going to be 60 this year. Just had my medical - The Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead. I had not had a mammo in the last 6 months, therefore had a breast examination by the doctor. My doctor was female; she also did my husband's medical. All went smoothly. Unfortunately, my BMI was over the top end = 30 so had to have two more fasting blood tests. Are you aware that NZ require women to have a waist measurement of up to 35" but men get up to 40"? Discrimination I say!! Waiting for the results of our medicals and our son's sponsorship to complete the application form then up to NZ House in London and sit back and wait. Hope it is not too long as the house is sold!

Anything else you want to know, will be pleased to answer from my experience.

All the best.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to both of you much appreciated. I am due a mammo this year anyway but not sure it will happen before heading out to NZ in September......fingers crossed.

Ambrosian............yes i am over 35" waist and BMI will be higher than what is considered "normal"......will be fasting from 10pm the night before so hopefully will be able to get the extra blood tests at the same time.

Wilma..........will take your advice about asking the relevant questions to the doctor before booking i thought of going to the one in Gatwick.......people on other sites seem to recommend him and also the Cromwell Hospital in London.

Will keep you informed of my journey into the medical world.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Ambrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant futureAmbrosian has a brilliant future

Hi Catt

Always advisable to ring around the list of Panel Doctors before committing as the costs do vary and are you aware that only some clinics are set up to allow all the medicals, x-rays and blood tests to be done under one roof? It could be that you will have to travel from clinic to doctor to radiographer to complete your medical. That is why we chose Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead as it is all under one roof and reasonable. If you go on their web site you can see all the charges, etc: www.bridge-clinic.com They have a dedicated Immigration Suite and very friendly reception staff and nurses.

As I wasn't prepared to have additional blood tests (because of my BMI - 35), we did return for those and I had ALL the blood tests done in one hit rather than the normal ones the first time. I was told to allow 14 hours of fasting and drink plenty of water.

Good luck.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ambrosian...........i have booked the bridg clinic for my medical & xray on the 27th March........fingers crossed for me cos i am sure gonna need it
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Ambrosian thanks for the recommendation it worked out really well, easy to find and very nice people and place. Now i just have to wait for the results and application can be sent in.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Catt

Glad that all went well on the day and hope that you get a good medical result. Had a slightly higher result on a couple of my tests but my GP said nothing of concern. To be on the safe side, am 'trying' - oh boy am I 'trying' - :curse:to eat/drink sensibly in case NZI doctors want to take things further. What is sensible these days? Seems that even a thimble full of wine with your evening meal is not allowed!!

Went up to NZ House on 12 March and handed in our application form and paid our dues. At that time we were advised could be up to 3 months to get a case officer and then could be 4-6 months after that. Hope that is the worse scenario as we are due to complete on our house on 23 May and will need a furnished rental after then. Apparently, going in under the Family Sponsorship route means we wait the longest!

Hope you and your OH get good results all round and are soon winging your way to NZ.

All the best.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

fingers crossed for you Ambrosian.......that it isnt 3 months wait.......good luck too.......let me know how you get on .
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catt
fingers crossed for you Ambrosian.......that it isnt 3 months wait.......good luck too.......let me know how you get on .
I didn't have a mamogram or breast check at my medical and I was 50 when I had my medical. I did have a fasting blood test - it all worked out ok in the end.