British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   MEDICAL ISSUE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/medical-issue-930922/)

Pigpuff15 Feb 6th 2020 10:28 pm

MEDICAL ISSUE

Good day!!!

Can someone help and guide me with my health issue.. Currently i'm a student visa here in NZ and studying Healthcare i'm about to finish my course this coming March, though i am afraid when it comes to Post Study Visa that they will issue after finishing the course they will conduct a medical exams and i'm a Hepatitis B positive, would they grant me a visa if they find out? please please i need help..

:(((

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2020 3:34 am

Re: MEDICAL ISSUE

I would give Immigration a call as Hep B is in the Ops Manual https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42611.htm as,
A4.10.1 Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or education services

Pigpuff15 Feb 7th 2020 3:53 am

Does it mean i dont have the chance to get the post study visa and work for a year?

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2020 8:49 am

sorry I dont know as I cant say what immigration will say about your on going care and what it would cost NZ, as I said you would need to speak directly to Immigration,

Timmy Chch Feb 7th 2020 6:28 pm

One year should be ok, did you have a previous x ray cos they last for 3 years?

"If you will stay in New Zealand for less than 12 months, you normally do not need to have a medical examination unless the visa you apply for will allow you to stay for more than 12 months, or we ask you to have one."

Pigpuff15 Feb 7th 2020 8:17 pm

Yes! I do have xray prior going to NZ, still after the course they will conduct medical exams , to provide me a post study visa.. i dont know what to do, and i’m enrolling myself to CAP and become a nurse here

MrsFychan Feb 8th 2020 3:15 am

theres no way round it, you need to talk to immigration

LittleGreyCat Feb 10th 2020 2:16 pm

I assume that as you are working in a health care role your organisation knows you have this condition?
Edit: in the UK health care workers are tested for Hepatitis B and if found to be infectious are quite correctly excluded from certain roles where there is a risk that they might infect a patient.
This implies you can test positive for Hep B but not classed as an infection risk.
So regardless of visa it looks as though you shoul be tested anyway before taking on your proposed role.

Pigpuff15 Feb 21st 2020 3:47 am

Yes! I’m working in a health care field, but i am being cautious in what i do, specially when it comes to contact with patients.

i’ll have my self test again and further assessments so that i do have evidences that i am not actively infectious to everyone. And hope people and this country will not discriminate people having this disease

SanDiegogirl Feb 21st 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pigpuff15 (Post 12809543)
Yes! I’m working in a health care field, but i am being cautious in what i do, specially when it comes to contact with patients.

i’ll have my self test again and further assessments so that i do have evidences that i am not actively infectious to everyone. And hope people and this country will not discriminate people having this disease

It's not a case of discrimination - it IS a case of medical safety As said, health workers found to be infectious are not allowed certain roles where there is a risk of infecting patients.

Bo-Jangles Feb 21st 2020 6:51 pm

I assume any ongoing visa would be dependent on you being able to secure job as well.

Certainly any healthcare provider in NZ that has any kind of health and safety standards to uphold would do pre-employment screening, so you can't expect this to be swept under the carpet. Lord help us but I don't doubt that there would be some elderly care facilities, rest homes and the likes that couldn't really give a rats arse.

Nobody here will know, you need to be honest and upfront and should be talking with people at potential work placements, tutors and immigration about your long term propositions. They no doubt will have come up against this before and can advise the way forward for you.

Pigpuff15 Mar 15th 2020 11:01 am

Thank you for you advise. I hope so .