Medical Docs

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough
Default Medical Docs

Hi all,

We are arriving in NZ 04 Aug 09 and are starting to get prepared but would like some advice about registering with a doctor on arrival. Do we need to bring any medical documentation with us? We are 2 adults and 2 children, who don't have any existing medical conditions but would like to arrive prepared.

Dave
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:32 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Docs

I got a print out of our medical summaries from UK GPs for each of us before we left and brought them over but we didn't need them to register with a GP here. We just asked around for GPs that had space on their books, filled in a simple form and handed them in. I took with me our IRD numbers and passports to show. From memory I don't think they asked for anything else.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

Remember you have to pay for each visit here, so, in consequence you get 15 minutes instead of the UK's 5-10 minutes and on the whole, I think, you get a better, more interested GP.

One side effect though, is that patients are empowered to ask for what they think they need (given that they are paying for the consultation) and therefore anti-biotics are dished out like smarties at a kid's party.

I wouldn't be surprised if anti-biotic-resistant strains of all sorts of bacteria are waiting to pounce, as a consequence.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our kids "red books" showing immunizations etc, but never shown them!

Son has asthma so we bought 6 of each of his inhalers with us and just showed the GP here which ones they were for replacements.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting topic! The system in NZ is quite different from ours and I've been wondering about these things.
Dumb question: If I normally go to a "public" GP, can I still decide to have a certain condition treated privately, i.e. without having to transfer completely to a private clinic?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

Officially, flip flopping between the private and public systems does not go on, the systems are seen as seperate.

GPs are in the public system even though you pay a small fee, about $40

However, unofficially, because of the long waiting lists in the public system, there's nothing wrong with getting a private opinion then returning to the public system.

One thing of importance, in New Zealand there is no two-week wait emergency consultation for Cancer. You can be stuck waiting for months even with potentially aggressive cancers - so getting seen privately under such circumstances can be a life saver. (This is why most NZers have some form of insurance cover).
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:16 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that most practices are PHO funded which means that if you are a registered/enrolled patient then costs are cheaper. I found this out when I paid $60 for a consult only to find out that it costs $30 if you are enrolled. Only thing is they need to see and photocopy your residency visas and permit and then apply to the PHO which took about 3weeks in my case.
So register fully in advance to make it cheaper.

Another thing is that certain medicines are funded and so much cheaper, these are exactly the same drugs but often a different tradename. If you are on any medication longterm then it may be worth asking if there is a funded or generic version of it rather than just stick to the same tradenamed version.
Sue
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
Interesting topic! The system in NZ is quite different from ours and I've been wondering about these things.
Dumb question: If I normally go to a "public" GP, can I still decide to have a certain condition treated privately, i.e. without having to transfer completely to a private clinic?
In my experience, just like UK, the GP can point you in the direction of a private consultant..you may have to phone up for the appt yourself rather than the GP doing the paperwork. There aren't that many private hospitals outside the big cities and for some things, the public system will be the only option for complex stuff although again like UK many consultants work in both sectors. Private A&E doesn't exist in Wellington for instance but does in Auckland.
Just like the UK the private sector is more into elective surgery not chronic/acute care.
I had to show passports (for work visas), kids red books just to make sure vaccinations were up to date..there are some extra NZ ones you may want to have....and yes the 15 minute or longer slots means it's all very unrushed and friendly and you are free to register with any GP who will take you..so you can easily shop around if you are not happy. The fees charged for visits do vary.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:20 am

I've found a great GP for us here. But is registration done geographically? I've a friend in Tauranga who isn't happy with her GP and have recommended mine to her, but I'm not sure if they'd take her not being "local?"
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:52 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
It seems that most practices are PHO funded which means that if you are a registered/enrolled patient then costs are cheaper. I found this out when I paid $60 for a consult only to find out that it costs $30 if you are enrolled. Only thing is they need to see and photocopy your residency visas and permit and then apply to the PHO which took about 3weeks in my case.
So register fully in advance to make it cheaper.
And my understanding is the migrant on a work visa like me have to pay full price everytime... So not much point in registering... Just pray n hope all stays well!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Matewx
And my understanding is the migrant on a work visa like me have to pay full price everytime... So not much point in registering... Just pray n hope all stays well!
Wanting to see a doctor because you "feel" cold is not the same as having flu ...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:58 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Wanting to see a doctor because you "feel" cold is not the same as having flu ...
Cheeky!
Men like me dont go man's flu... I'll have you know!

Now, back to the subject...

Can someone @ BE make me a moderator... Seem like I have to keep an eye Am Loolah lately...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:18 am

Can someone @ BE make me a moderator... Seem like I have to keep an eye Am Loolah lately...
In a word ...

NO

It's a much coveted position!

Apologies to the OP for going off thread.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

You can still register with the practice (and you should so you have a GP you can call on at a time of crisis - they still register you on their computer system, just don't treat you as a PHO funded patient)...I have a work visa only and I get great service from my GP..I can phone up and get an appt half an hour later for instance.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
Remember you have to pay for each visit here, so, in consequence you get 15 minutes instead of the UK's 5-10 minutes and on the whole, I think, you get a better, more interested GP.

One side effect though, is that patients are empowered to ask for what they think they need (given that they are paying for the consultation) and therefore anti-biotics are dished out like smarties at a kid's party.

I wouldn't be surprised if anti-biotic-resistant strains of all sorts of bacteria are waiting to pounce, as a consequence.
My Gp won't give antibiotics without a darn good reason...I have the best GP in the world.
The good thing about paying (and it's cheap now that it's subsidised more) is that I get an appointment when I want or need one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.