Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medical costs for a broken ankle !

Medical costs for a broken ankle !

Old Oct 29th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Medical costs for a broken ankle !

Xray $20
Deposit for crutch hire $45
Examination & cast $45
Prescription for Voltarin and painkilers $22

Savings: $35 x 2 'cause we were going to go to the Halloween night at Rainbows End tonight ........dammit !
I guess by the time I've included the snacks and drinks we would probably have bought, I've just about broken even. Good planning eh !
Old Oct 29th 2005, 3:30 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical costs for a broken ankle !

Originally Posted by xpat19
Xray $20
Examination & cast $45

Savings: $35 x 2 'cause we were going to go to the Halloween night at Rainbows End tonight ........dammit !
I guess by the time I've included the snacks and drinks we would probably have bought, I've just about broken even. Good planning eh !
Bad luck re the broken ankle...hope you get to feeling better soon. Love your attitude re the cost comparisons. rest up & look on the bright side, theres always next years celebrations to look forward too

cindy
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Thanks Shepslady. I'm just hoping the cast will be off in time for the work Xmas party. I've seen some killer shoes........ !

On the bright side, hubby has been doing a great job of fetching and carrying and I've sugested he might like to provide me with a bell and long stick - couldn't quite make out his reply though ??
Old Oct 29th 2005, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Did they put it through as ACC?
I've just dropped my daughter and friends at Rainsbow end and OMG the cue to get was a mile long. Lots of Police/Scurity around to keep the undesriables under control.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 6:53 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Xray $20
Examination & cast $45

Ouch! Good you can see the funny side. Will it be sorted for Christmas, which is 58 days away according to our local jewellers.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Ouch! Good you can see the funny side. Will it be sorted for Christmas, which is 58 days away according to our local jewellers.
I hope so, I can put an ankle chain back on my Xmas list then !

The boys gave up on Rainbows End, said the queues were all the way to the road so turned around and came home..... there goes our quiet evening !
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:21 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

I hope so, I can put an ankle chain back on my Xmas list then !

The boys gave up on Rainbows End, said the queues were all the way to the road so turned around and came home..... there goes our quiet evening !
How did you break it?
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Bit embarrasing really: I took the dog to agility class and ran around the course with her for about an hour without any problem, then, when I was walking across the field back to the car I tripped over a blade of grass or a daisy or something and landed on my knees, one of my feet went in a different direction to the rest of me & my ankle made a strange crunching sort of noise.
I must say, it tickled a bit !
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:39 am

Bit embarrasing really: I took the dog to agility class and ran around the course with her for about an hour without any problem, then, when I was walking across the field back to the car I tripped over a blade of grass or a daisy or something and landed on my knees, one of my feet went in a different direction to the rest of me & my ankle made a strange crunching sort of noise.
Tickled me quite a lot too! Sorry, but I just peed meself. That's so funny. Not laughed like that since my husband did 40 lengths in the baths, dead chuffed with himself, went all macho walking back to the changing rooms and completely missed the steps, went A over T and coudn't get up because he was still wet and slipping all over the place. Flapped around like a hooked fish on a boat deck. Or the time he fell over in a restaurant and grabbed the tablecloth of a nearby table on the way down and got covered with their dinner. They weren't so amused though for some reason!

Hope it mends soon for you. You know your dog's never going back there again with you don't you, take the shame!

You can return the laugh though - I get to ride my new bike tomorrow (got it today, not had the guts to get it out of the garage yet). I've never ridden one (aged 38, so sad) and poor hubby has a slipped disc and is having to hold it up for me just whilst I get on. This time tomorrow one of us will have a medical costs report to post as well!
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!! I can relate to that having broken my left ankle twice now. The second time was 6 years ago and I totally smashed up my ankle joint and the ends of the fibula and tibia were sticking out through my skin.... when the paramedics came to take me to hospital they wrote on the accident form "suspected broken ankle!!" I had 5 operations after that break to put it all back together again and still have the metal in my leg.... its another reason I agreed to move here.... as the winters are not so cold here I dont get anything near as much pain in my joint.

Anyway..... I hope you get better soon!!! Watch out for them nasty daisies!!
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Ouch, you poor thing. That sounds nasty.
Yep, they're quick enough to warn folk about the white tails, rips & driving too fast but strangely coy about the little known dangers of the native "tripper daisy" I think they're getting their own back for all the daisy chains I made as a girl.

I'll be checking the paper tomorrow for the headline " 38 year old woman runs amok on new bike, with slipped disc husband in fast persuit on hands and knees"
Old Oct 29th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, you poor thing. That sounds nasty.
Yep, they're quick enough to warn folk about the white tails, rips & driving too fast but strangely coy about the little known dangers of the native "tripper daisy" I think they're getting their own back for all the daisy chains I made as a girl.

I'll be checking the paper tomorrow for the headline " 38 year old woman runs amok on new bike, with slipped disc husband in fast persuit on hands and knees"
lol... actually it couldve been a dairy that made me break my ankle!! I was riding my horse and was cantering along and he looked down at the ground and stopped suddenly for no reason and I went flying over his head.... the daisies strike again!!!
Old Oct 29th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Hhhmmm - there could be something in this.

Come on all you expats - how many more of you have been gbh'd by a daisy but been too embarassed to tell the tale ?
Be carefull out there !
Old Oct 29th 2005, 2:44 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely PMSL @ this thread.....Thankyou so much for getting my day off in such a funny way. I have images of all you falling & breaking something & these fields of Huge Gigantic Daisies all laughing & smiling. Oh tears of laughter simply streaming down my face at that thought. Not meaning to take the mickey out of any of you for your painful injuries but you have to admit it does cause a few chuckles at the very least huh?

We had a similar experience here this week but cant lay blame on daisies.....my brother inlaw had just been discharged from hospital after having a kidney & gall bladder removed. It was his first night home & he was sleeping in the guest room downstairs (Doctors orders no stair climbing for a few weeks) Afraid that she wouldnt hear him call out during the night his wife decided to sleep on a sofa in the room next door. 2am she awakes to him calling out to her, she rushes to get there, trips over a mat & breaks her foot. Now the two of them are laid up recovering & driving everyone crazy with their constant calling out wanting something.....Im not on duty today & just to make sure Ive lent my car to someone so I have no way of getting out there......now that was terribly mean of me wasnt it

As for the bike riding Jan you will be fine, I brought myself one at the start of the summer & I loved getting out there on it. Half the town thought I was crazy but it made me feel so good Im not about to give it up for anyone. Of course the days are getting too cold here now so I think its probably away for the winter now but come spring & I will be out there riding again. Just remember once you learn how you never forget so keep working at it. You will get there one day..in the mean time I shall be keeping a close eye on the headlines in The Press just in case there is mention of the crazed Brit running over her hubby with a bicycle
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

3 days in and more good stuff - it appears that using crutches could be good for your figure as the blisters you get in middle of each hand are so sore they stop you stuffing food into your mouth every time you feel bored ( sob, I'm so bored ! ) ) and the upper body must get a really good workout judging by the way it aches.....and as for the muscles developing in my " Good leg"..........

I didn't realise that it was illegal to drive with a cast - silly old me thought I could still drive to work as the car's an automatic. The doc soon put me right - DOH At least the suns shining - I can sit on the deck and tan one leg.
Note to self: I wonder if casts stop the hairs growing underneath or if I"m going to have to get Green Acres on standby with their industrial strimmer when the cast comes off.....hhmmmm.
I bet some one out there knows the answer to this !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.