Reload this Page >

medical concerns-BMI

medical concerns-BMI

Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:25 am
Just Joined

imcalledclare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical concerns-BMI

Hi
I am at the start of the process and a bit concerned about the medical!
I am in good health but had a shock the other day when i was toldmy bmi-39!
I am a uk size 16/18 and don't consider myself huge but my BMI is just 1 point away from the 'very obese' category arghhh!
Needless to say I'mnow on a diet and started exercising but concerned that my BMI may still be high by the time I go for my medical in 2/3 months time.
does anyone know anything about if my BMI will result in a rejected visa?
Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical concerns-BMI

Have a quick search through the forum. I am on a tablet now or I would you aren't alone in this fear and others have asked this too I THINK you'll be okay. Dieting to get it down before your medical sounds good either way.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 6:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

having a quick look round the INZ site there was a link for a BMI calculator on the medical handbook for examiners and it states anything over 30 is classed as obese. now I think it used to be anything over 35 generally got medically referred but as the system had some changes late 2014 I am not sure what the threshold is now if it has indeed changed
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Back in early 2011, my BMI was about the same and the medical was rejected on these grounds. I was given about 3 months to get it down to below 35. Rather than go through the whole medical process again, they allowed my GP to weigh the lighter me and send a letter to the panel. Unsure if it's different now.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:25 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Back in early 2011, my BMI was about the same and the medical was rejected on these grounds. I was given about 3 months to get it down to below 35. Rather than go through the whole medical process again, they allowed my GP to weigh the lighter me and send a letter to the panel. Unsure if it's different now.
Which is such bullshit on the part of INZ because it is very well known that for most people (not making a comment about you, Mark Smith because I don't know you and you might be one of the exceptions ) dieting results in weight gain in the medium/ long term and this is even more true for rapid weight loss dieting. What a stupid approach on the part of INZ
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

BMI full stop is a load of rubbish... When will it all change to body fat percentage? BMI can't differentiate between fat or muscle. Although I don't remember anything about BMI being in my medical a year ago
Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of

My BMI was high, had cholesterol test - Normal.

Wife BMI was also high, Higher Cholesterol & High Blood Pressure too.

Saw our GP, got letter from him that stated that Cholesterol and blood pressure was managed by tablets. No loss of work / illness caused by said condition and she was seeking work also. best 100 pounds sent as we've just passed out 2 years in NZ.

Both working Full Time and except for some Man-Flu and severe insect bite for me, no major health issues or time off for both of us.

Ian.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Had to play the game though, otherwise wouldn't be having the opportunity of a lifetime over here
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

imcalledclare is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Celticknight can I ask what your BMIs were?
I am hoping to get mine down from 39 to below 35 before my medical in a few months time and hoping a letter from my doctor illustrating my weight loss will help esp after what you have said.
I know life in NZ is a privilege, understand why they don't want people with high BMI and that loosing the weight will be worth it. feeling very motivated - today anyway!
thanks
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

ccurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

I really wouldn't stress about it too much, the nurse said they don't really take BMI into account. Good job really, as I was very nervous. BMI over 40!!!!. I passed and leave for Wellington with family on 8th March.

good luck

C
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

My Bmi was 40 on my medical, my immi consultant advised a pile of other tests to pre-empt a medical referral. So I've had cholesterol, ecg, glucose tolerance etc. everything is normal apart from my bmi. My doc also put about me having lost weight over the last year. My application is in atm, been 2 weeks so far. I'm slowly losing weight so if they do want me to get weighed again at least it's moving in the right direction, even if it's not 35. Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

FYI I was applying for a permanent residency visa from the UK end.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

Mines a 2 yr work visa, was advised I'd gave to be under 35 for residency which I guess makes sense
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:18 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was 37. I registered my weight with doctor then lost 2.5 stone to bring bmi below 35. I don't have any health problems. My medicals sailed through and I had my visa very quickly. So I didn't actually have to lose weight to pass but I'm glad I did.

A friend of mine had to lose a lot of weight to gain residency after her work visa. I think it has to be under 35 to be granted.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

I'm picking my passports up in the morning, seems we got our visas! No referral for my 2yr visa with high bmi but everything else normal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.