British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Med Costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/med-costs-872012/)

Kotare Feb 7th 2016 5:38 pm

Med Costs

I haven't been back in nz for long but given recent posts!

Dental

I had a tooth filling in Uk about 3 years ago and it cost £140 ($300) - a tooth extraction here about 3 months ago cost $230 (for those who haven't lived in uk for some time NHS dentistry is nearly non existent and the quality dodgy given poor subsidy rates).

Med

I had a eye infection here - went to the pharmacy who gave me prescription eye drops for $20 (£9) - not convinced waiting a week in the UK for a GP appointment and then paying a prescription charge for the free med would have been a better outcome.

I am sure there are lots of horror stories here on pricing etc but again different countries - imagine being in the States without Medicare :-)

LittleGreyCat Feb 7th 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Med Costs

As with NZ, it all depends where you live.:p

We have been fortunate to have been able to register with NHS dentists in the UK for the last yea many years.

We have noted, though, that the dental practices seem to be owned by South Africans and mainly staffed by Polish women.

In the UK, all meds are free once you manage to struggle past 60 and are also free for kids. (Up to 18 if you are in full time education).

Looks like up to 13 in NZ and no mention of crumblies.

Kotare Feb 7th 2016 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 11860451)
As with NZ, it all depends where you live.:p

We have been fortunate to have been able to register with NHS dentists in the UK for the last yea many years.

We have noted, though, that the dental practices seem to be owned by South Africans and mainly staffed by Polish women.

In the UK, all meds are free once you manage to struggle past 60 and are also free for kids. (Up to 18 if you are in full time education).

Looks like up to 13 in NZ and no mention of crumblies.

Last time I tried to get a GP appointment in uk they were talking 10 days unless it was an emergency (but have you phoned NHS Direct or gone to A&E) :-(

Dental - lucky you, but not sure I would use NHS given reimbursement rates (dentist Brother in law - but then he would say that :-)

Damson Feb 7th 2016 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11860461)
Last time I tried to get a GP appointment in uk they were talking 10 days unless it was an emergency (but have you phoned NHS Direct or gone to A&E) :-(

So lucky. My last doctors appointment was 27 days and my daughter's was 26. Nightmare.

JaneRiley Feb 7th 2016 8:17 pm

Depends where you live. Same day GP appts in Scotland and free prescriptions. 'Smile'dentists in Aberdeen are Nhs and only £32 to mending broken front tooth. The Nhs is stretched in larger cities etc but the staff still do a sterling job.

Kotare Feb 7th 2016 8:36 pm

Perhaps I should be migrating to Scotland, but I have heard bad rumours of bullying and abuse of 'English' incomers :-)

LittleGreyCat Feb 7th 2016 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11860557)
Perhaps I should be migrating to Scotland, but I have heard bad rumours of bullying and abuse of 'English' incomers :-)

At least they have central heating.

BEVS Feb 8th 2016 3:02 am

Are we talking the general NZ mish mash of med & health costs?

Visit to the GP . $40 for 15 mins. Appointment within a day or so .

Repeat prescriptions $10 surgery charge. Same day repeat prescriptions $20 surgery charge.

cappuccino Feb 8th 2016 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11860418)
I am sure there are lots of horror stories here on pricing etc but again different countries - imagine being in the States without Medicare :-)

I was recently in California and had to see a doctor (10 mins consultation fee US$160)who prescribed a ventolin inhaler US$80. Flippin expensive but not worth claiming on my travel insurance.

Kotare Feb 8th 2016 3:09 am

UK prescription charge is nz$18 per item so not a lot in it.

BEVS Feb 8th 2016 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11860761)
UK prescription charge is nz$18 per item so not a lot in it.

Is that what the GP surgery charges to issue the prescription please, as that is what I am referring to.

The actual meds on the prescription are a further charge at the pharmacy. That depends on what the meds are though.

To be clear for everyone, what I post are about our own personal med charges.

Physio $40 , unless ACC then $20 which is really good.

edit to add......

Mr BEVS meds at the pharmacy $15 every 3months.

Blood tests at medlab - free as they are part of the GP visit fee of $40.

Kotare Feb 8th 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11860771)
Is that what the GP surgery charges to issue the prescription please, as that is what I am referring to.

The actual meds on the prescription are a further charge at the pharmacy. That depends on what the meds are though.

To be clear for everyone, what I post are about our own personal med charges.

Physio $40 , unless ACC then $20 which is really good.

edit to add......

Mr BEVS meds at the pharmacy $15 every 3months.

Blood tests at medlab - free as they are part of the GP visit fee of $40.

As far as I know that is per item at the UK pharmacy, so if you needed a pair of support stockings (god forbid) it would be NZ$36 (I think there are reduced charges if you have a chronic illness ie lots of prescriptions). I thought NZ meds were free or heavily subsidized (if they are on 'the List').

In general I think the NZ ACC system is good eg fewer false whiplash claims, fewer ambulance chasing lawyers.

BEVS Feb 8th 2016 4:09 am

I think but am not sure that many NZ meds are subsidised if they are on 'the list' as you say.
His levothyroxine is on 'the list' so is $5 a hit. However if he felt that desiccated thyroid was better he would not be able to get that . He would need to order privately from the USA as far as I know . We are in the process of investigating this as levothyroxine does not address all issues.

Louiselouise03 Feb 8th 2016 8:21 am

Want to add on this topic that it's a good idea to shop around for GP surgeries . We moved area recently in Auckland and found one medical center charged $45 for a GP visit, another, 5 mins in the other direction -$17.50.
Guess which one we've joined.

dannigirl Feb 9th 2016 12:05 am

We were getting charged $70 a hit for each GP visit initially in NZ. Even me as a NZ citizen!! I tried to query with the GP admin, they stated that the NZ govt do the reciprocal funding twice per year, which meant until the funding switched over we were charged $70 per GP visit. Just something to be aware of, not sure if all GP clinics do this. I need to re-look at it, but couldn't at the time as was so sick with the flu and trying to question the bill was not a good combination.

The other thing I miss is being able to have a plan at the dentist. Private dentist, £17 per month for everything inc hygienist. Costs soon add up even for one filling. Peace of mind too as no big bills, which means you hopefully don't put off going to the dentist. And as a private patient, your children get free check up too.