Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Meat - slaughter methods

Meat - slaughter methods

Old May 8th 2014, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat - slaughter methods

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3604675.stm

This was noted in 2004 that NZs way involves a stun but one that satisfies the Muslim community. It practically knocks them out stone cold but doesn't kill them immediately. The animals are still alive but are practically brain dead.

Just more sensationalist nonsense from Right Wing rubbish! I don't know what has got into Little Englanders minds. I've been reading the stuff about Subway, a few stores - just a few stores. The stuff on Europe as well, it's scary. I wouldn't even bother reading anything from the Daily Mail - a paper that puts the blame of a death of a kid on the teachers strike needs to be sent to the gutter.

Oh and please cut the tripe about it funding terrorism. That again is sensationalist rubbish that I expect to hear from Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage. The Islamic Foundation are against terrorism, not one penny has ever been funded to Al-Qaeda. You may want to google who America supported during the cold war. Also google Russia invading Afghanistan and look what happened. Bin Laden was a freedom fighter that the Americans liked back then, somewhere afterwards that all changed

Plus it's just a flippin minority. Why on earth get worked up over such nonsense?

I seriously worry about the mindset of sad right wing lunatics that think foreigners, muslims etc are such evil. I just hope the Aussies and Kiwis aren't as racist although seeing some stuff about Ashburton does make me wonder
Old May 8th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is easily solved - just put a bloody label on it so everybody knows and can make a choice.

Slackard No 8 Wire Standard NZ1957
Section 1.3 says it's too expensive to do that, so refer to section 20.2 of the She'll be right Policy NZ1984'. No worries mate, if the world is up in arms again and is at all concerned about practices of one of one of our major industries, ignore it and put it in the too hard basket until next time.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the animals feel so much better for having been prayed for.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

In February this year I blogged about the difference between town- and country-dwellers' attitudes towards the killing of animals. ("Inside the rabbit-proof fence", easily found in the Archives.) I noted that there are few vegetarians in the bush - meaning the Australian bush, where I was brought up. There are only one or two veggies on this present thread, and as far as I can tell no "bushies" at all.

The cultural differences are pretty much insurmountable, when it comes to killing animals for food. Those differences are carried forward into the debate over "humane" killings in commercial abattoirs. My background leads me to believe that it's a trivial debate, however high passions might run. The killing of a bull - described in my post - was instantaneous, and (except for a veggie) therefore acceptable to all; the killing of a sheep - described in an earlier post referred to - was not. Yet I, a gentle and squeamish child at the time, accepted it quite without protest.

I'm not really going anywhere with this argument: I'm just sayin'...!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 3:37 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of us hold ourselves to higher moral standards than the native Australians. Different times, different food pressures, different level of philosophical and scientific awareness.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting and thought provoking replies, thanks everyone. I rarely eat meat but I do feel a need to sometimes. I've also killed and then eaten various animals such as fish, pheasant and rabbits when younger and seriously poor. I now have pet chickens and we don't eat them, they have a lovely retirement with us when they stop laying and usually live to a ripe old age as pets.

I suspect that, if it came to it and we were too poor to afford to buy food from the shops again, then I'd eat wild caught meat again. I always gave thanks to the animal for giving up it's life so I could sustain mine. I would always choose to eat a wild pig killed in it's natural habitat by an experienced rifleman over a slaughterhouse killed one any day.

When possible I prefer not to eat meat at all but sometimes it's what's available and what I need to keep going. At that point I just try to make the decision that rests best with me.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
Interesting and thought provoking replies, thanks everyone. I rarely eat meat but I do feel a need to sometimes. I've also killed and then eaten various animals such as fish, pheasant and rabbits when younger and seriously poor. I now have pet chickens and we don't eat them, they have a lovely retirement with us when they stop laying and usually live to a ripe old age as pets.

I suspect that, if it came to it and we were too poor to afford to buy food from the shops again, then I'd eat wild caught meat again. I always gave thanks to the animal for giving up it's life so I could sustain mine. I would always choose to eat a wild pig killed in it's natural habitat by an experienced rifleman over a slaughterhouse killed one any day.

When possible I prefer not to eat meat at all but sometimes it's what's available and what I need to keep going. At that point I just try to make the decision that rests best with me.
I guess if they thought about HOW meat becomes meat, most people wouldn't eat it. But there's a huge difference in attitude between town-dwellers and country-dwellers. In November 2012 I posted (on my blog) a reminiscence called "The Man from Snowy River" in which I described how my Dad killed sheep for us to eat:

To put food on the table, Dad killed a sheep every ten days, and we ate mutton three meals a day every day. I remember the violence of the killing – SAS-style, I guess: head jerked up from behind to expose the throat to the knife and allow the blood to gush out. The body was hung upside-down on a hook to let the rest of the blood leak out. In town, we bought from a butcher. Nowadays, meat is pre-packaged by supermarkets. (And sometimes it probably isn’t meat at all.)

I turned out to be a pretty squeamish fellow, but as a kid I watched the throat-cutting with no qualms, and have no bad memories of it. My son is a vegetarian. Go figure.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:38 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Meat - slaughter methods

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I guess if they thought about HOW meat becomes meat, most people wouldn't eat it.
This is true. I took biology, biochemistry, genetics etc. at university. No one would go through that just to eat meat. It's just not worth it.

Quite a lot of farming is cruel to animals, consuming so many of their products unhealthy for us and our farming methods damaging to our planet.

However we are probably not as cruel and unforgiving as nature often is. Most animals in nature live very short lives in perpetual starvation and fear being eaten by something else most of that life. If you admire the beauty of nature you must also realise it has this savage Darwinian edge, nature does not have sentimental feelings about individual tragedies.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It gets worse! (For town-dwellers not familiar with what goes on in the countryside.) Going off on a bit of a tangent, here, although it's relevant to the growing of meat for the masses. Castrated sheep are reckoned to produce more meat than rams; at least that's what I've always understood. I wrote a piece called "Town and Country" for my blog in December 2011 for my local audience here in my Caribbean island home. It began:

Sometimes daily newspapers have to cast a wide net for their news, don’t they? Last week England’s Daily Mail reported that two men in a lamb-castrating speed-contest in Wyoming had become physically ill from removing lambs’ testicles with their teeth. I may have been one of a rather small number of readers whose immediate reaction was, “Gosh, Dad used to do that all the time, and it never made him sick.” I mean, why should it?

There has always been a huge cultural difference between the customs of towns and countrysides. What counts as good, practical sense in rural settings is often frowned upon in urban ones, and vice versa. Until very recently, Cayman’s isolation made it “country” as opposed to urban. So one finds some significant differences in customs and attitudes, between native Caymanians and city-bred expats.