Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Meat - slaughter methods

Meat - slaughter methods

Old May 8th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meat - slaughter methods

We're having a 'stir hatred for Muslim and Jewish people' bunfight in the UK right now about a lot of meat being 'Halal' and not labelled as such. All this means is that it's been killed by a method that doesn't involve pre-stunning so, therefore, it meets the requirements of people following a Halal dietary code.

Our supermarkets are saying ALL meat from new Zealand is 'Halal' as opposed to killed after animal has been stunned. Does NZ not have a pre-stunning regulation?

I'm not a fan of slaughter houses full stop and would rather see animals killed quickly and humanely where they were reared rather than transported but I just wondered about the regulations you had over there.
Old May 8th 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice
Talking Re: Meat - slaughter methods

Hi Hazelnut

Have a look at the NZ Beef & Lamb website www.beeflambnz.co.nz and you will have your answer. NZ and Australia are the biggest exporters of beef and lamb to the Middle East in the world. We cannot tell, at all, from the labelling if our meat is halal as they say it is too expensive to do. Apparently there is a stun but it is different from the normal stun (whatever that might mean!) but conforms in all other ways. I am a vegetarian but if I did eat meat I wouldn't buy from the supermarket but a good local butcher who could confirm that the meat was non-halal. In defence of NZ they do not do non-stun methods at all and kosher meat is banned. I don't like the thought of food stuffs being blessed up to Allah but them I am of a different religion!
Old May 8th 2014, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat - slaughter methods

Thanks for the link. Makes the spin the UK media are putting on it even worse.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pothy
<snip> In defence of NZ they do not do non-stun methods at all and kosher meat is banned.<snip>
This is incorrect. Kosher meat is not banned - they tried to ban it a couple of years ago but this was unsuccessful.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

How can slaughter be humanely? If you are worried about the well-being of animals best thing is to stop eating meat and animal products.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
W
Our supermarkets are saying ALL meat from new Zealand is 'Halal'
Show me this.

Thanks for the link. Makes the spin the UK media are putting on it even worse.
Actually, it's not the media is it, it is the people that read and believe without thinking.
Old May 8th 2014, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Show me this.
Probably quoted in The Daily Mail ;-)
Old May 8th 2014, 11:04 am
`

I'm not a fan of slaughter houses full stop and would rather see animals killed quickly and humanely where they were reared.
Then maybe kosher / halal is the way to go.

No long queues to stun or not quite stun as the case may be.
Old May 8th 2014, 11:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
How can slaughter be humanely? If you are worried about the well-being of animals best thing is to stop eating meat and animal products.
Good point, well made.

The whole thing is pretty horrific, one way or another your killing a creature with a central nervous system and possible some degree of situational awareness. That said I'm not a vegitarian and I buy meat products without a second thought as to the animal suffering or environmental consequences.

One day we may look back at this as as difficult to explain exactly why we persisted even when we knew it was unethical.
Old May 8th 2014, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough you can mock the British press for hysteria and being misinformed, yet the very same 'outraged of Pukekohe type 'debate' was happening up and down the radio waves of NZ this arvo. How dare those dreadful folks at McDs not tell us etc.

I remember it being a big story, similar shock and horror a couple of years back also.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11004217

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 8th 2014 at 12:05 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

'Normal' slaughter involves stunning [captive bolt/electrocution/percussion] to render the animal unconscious and then immediately cutting the carotid arteries so they die from bleeding out.
If Halal slaughter in NZ involves stunning then I have no problem with that. And religious words being said at the time mean nothing to me- I am not religious at all and as long as it doesn't interfere or slow down the killing time then the method is no different to the above 'normal' slaughter.
The difference in stun method may relate to the need for the animal to be alive when killed-the stun should be reversible. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I do however think that all animals should be stunned prior to being killed. If we are going to kill animals for meat then the process should be as quick and stress free as possible.
Also the transport time between farm and slaughterhouse be as minimal as possible, ideally all animals would be slaughtered where they are raised but this would prove difficult to manage. Regulations do exist to cover all aspects of the process.
Whether we should be eating meat or not is a different issue.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Then maybe kosher / halal is the way to go.

No long queues to stun or not quite stun as the case may be.
It's a long time since my public health lectures but I seem to remember that all religious slaughter must be done at a licensed abattoir in the UK. I don't think it would make much difference in terms of animal welfare/the before death conditions. There would always be some animals in lairage waiting especially if large numbers are being slaughtered.

Last edited by Persephone; May 8th 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Halal is not just about the way the animal is slaughtered. Every company who supplies halal products has to pay a fee to the Islamic Federation and some of this money goes towards funding terrorism. For that reason alone surely we should be more aware of what products we buy and of course it is not just meat! Companies such as Sanitarium, Mars, Cadbury's and Kellogg's are halal certified companies (along with a whole heap more). We simply cannot get away from halal foods and it is a disgrace that we are unknowingly supporting Islam and terrorism. If you don't believe me look up Halal Food Certification - that is of course if you are interested!
Old May 8th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cappuccino
This is incorrect. Kosher meat is not banned - they tried to ban it a couple of years ago but this was unsuccessful.
Hi Cappuccino - thought you might be interested in this link, http://ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/06/03...-disgrace.html according to this article NZ outlawed shechita in 2010 - good on them is all I can say!
Old May 8th 2014, 9:22 pm
`

Originally Posted by Persephone
Also the transport time between farm and slaughterhouse be as minimal as possible, ideally all animals would be slaughtered where they are raised but this would prove difficult to manage. Regulations do exist to cover all aspects of the process.
That was sorta my thinking in a way. As little time as possible before slaughter.

It's a long time since my public health lectures but I seem to remember that all religious slaughter must be done at a licensed abattoir in the UK. I don't think it would make much difference in terms of animal welfare/the before death conditions. There would always be some animals in lairage waiting, especially if large numbers are being slaughtered.
Ah! Thanks for that Perse.
Old May 8th 2014, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pothy
Hi Cappuccino - thought you might be interested in this link, http://ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/06/03...-disgrace.html according to this article NZ outlawed shechita in 2010 - good on them is all I can say!
Just for clarification- kosher (shechita) slaughtering of poultry is allowed in NZ - the government ban was overturned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.