Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it for me and mine?

Is it for me and mine?

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Is it for me and mine?

hey,

Just read some really negative stuff about NZ, gangs, boy racers, lack of shops, shocking education system for 12 +, unfriendly locals etc.... please tell me that not all of this is true, i honestly thought she was describing the UK in places. I am in the process of persuading my OH that this country could be the new life and new start we needed, now i'm not so sure... can anybody whose already there tell if it was a fair description or had they just had an unlucky time there. I was really keen to move to the Napier area, i had read lots of positive stuff, so anyone that can tell me whats true and whats not....please.....
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:18 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it for me and mine?

Originally Posted by big nelly
hey,

Just read some really negative stuff about NZ, gangs, boy racers, lack of shops, shocking education system for 12 +, unfriendly locals etc.... please tell me that not all of this is true, i honestly thought she was describing the UK in places. I am in the process of persuading my OH that this country could be the new life and new start we needed, now i'm not so sure... can anybody whose already there tell if it was a fair description or had they just had an unlucky time there. I was really keen to move to the Napier area, i had read lots of positive stuff, so anyone that can tell me whats true and whats not....please.....
Well, it's gone 2am here, but am on a mission to stay up all night if I can as I'm in the throes of over excitement regarding a new business venture!!

We've been in NZ 11 months, not far off our year anniversary.

There's wide spread coverage regarding gangs, thankfully not where we live.

Boy racers, well yes, everywhere, but not as bad as you will be led to believe. All very much dependent on where you choose to live.

We have shops!

We moved with 4 kids aged then 14, 12, 8 & 4, now all a year older and all doing very well. Our 2 eldest went to private school at a huge cost in the UK ... here they go to the local schools and are doing just fine thank you. We have no worries about them achieving academically.

Unfriendly locals - nope, not for us, but Hubby is a Kiwi and I went straight into work with a bunch of Kiwis and have a fab social life.

Do I miss anything about the UK ... nope.

Do I worry about life here .. only the cost of living, that is high. Your grocery shop & utilities, all very high compared to the average wage.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me! Funnily enough neither would my Hubby or kids ...

I guess it's the summary of life - it's what you make it?

Plus research, research, research.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Well you're an early bird!! good morning...

thanks for that, i have been so excited about the possibilities of moving to NZ for so long and now that the OH has almost got 2 feet on the band wagon i was beginning to believe that it might just happen for us. so to read such a negative thread was quite worrying.
We live in a small market town near Leeds, and it is becoming more like the inner cities with drugs, gangs and violence at the weekend, that we decided that it was going to be a matter of now or never.
Do you think that making friends being British is harder, i'm originally from Scotland and the OH is English, but some of the threads have said that making friends with the kiwi's is very difficult.... i was hoping that we'd fit into a community and be part of it too?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:32 pm

thanks for that, i have been so excited about the possibilities of moving to NZ for so long and now that the OH has almost got 2 feet on the band wagon i was beginning to believe that it might just happen for us. so to read such a negative thread was quite worrying.
We live in a small market town near Leeds, and it is becoming more like the inner cities with drugs, gangs and violence at the weekend, that we decided that it was going to be a matter of now or never.
Do you think that making friends being British is harder, i'm originally from Scotland and the OH is English, but some of the threads have said that making friends with the kiwi's is very difficult.... i was hoping that we'd fit into a community and be part of it too?
I can only speak from personal experience ... I imagine a lot will be down to where you choose to live and what you do for work.

The very nature of my job is social anyway, I was lucky to land on my feet in an office with like minded people and I am the only non-Kiwi - so hence many Kiwi friends from the off!

Hubby is House Husband, but didn't want to only socalise with Ex-Pats and has made all his mates through joining the local golf club - all Kiwi's, bar two who are English.

The we also have a mix of English friends, Ozzie friends etc.

The children have a mix of nationalities too.

I've not found the Kiwi's to be rude or standoffish - some need me to educate them in my own brand of humour, but then so do the English!

But I know others have had different experiences.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I can only speak from personal experience ... I imagine a lot will be down to where you choose to live and what you do for work.

The very nature of my job is social anyway, I was lucky to land on my feet in an office with like minded people and I am the only non-Kiwi - so hence many Kiwi friends from the off!

Hubby is House Husband, but didn't want to only socalise with Ex-Pats and has made all his mates through joining the local golf club - all Kiwi's, bar two who are English.

The we also have a mix of English friends, Ozzie friends etc.

The children have a mix of nationalities too.

I've not found the Kiwi's to be rude or standoffish - some need me to educate them in my own brand of humour, but then so do the English!

But I know others have had different experiences.
so where do you live and where is good to live? I had been looking round the Napier region, i have a 12 soon to be 13 yr old who loves sport (especially football)and the OH is a keen runner and still likes to play football (though he should know better), me anything outdoors near the sea.....
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:46 pm

so where do you live and where is good to live? I had been looking round the Napier region, i have a 12 soon to be 13 yr old who loves sport (especially football)and the OH is a keen runner and still likes to play football (though he should know better), me anything outdoors near the sea.....
I've not been to Napier, but I hear really good things about it.

Anywhere in NZ you should be ok with sport and outdoor activities, but you'll have to learn the lingo, it's soccer not football here!

We're in Papamoa, Bay of Plenty, great climate, great scenery, great beach. We have a house one street back from the beach. But we only go about three times a week!

I would imagine it'll depend on work opportunities for you? What do you and your other half do?

We came in on my Hubby being a Kiwi so didn't need a job offer ...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hubby is a prison officer, and i work for the civil service (paper pusher) at the British Library.... so hoping we'll get in on him...
What would you say are the best things about being in NZ? and are you close to your hubby's family, as it's a long way from yours?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you and your OH go to the expo at Leeds on 12/13 April? May be of some help to you,may be not but worth a visit. We're travelling down from Glasgow to go on the 12th.

Phyllis
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:59 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weejie
Why don't you and your OH go to the expo at Leeds on 12/13 April? May be of some help to you,may be not but worth a visit. We're travelling down from Glasgow to go on the 12th.

Phyllis
Yeah, there's a few of us going - nice to put faces to avatars.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We`ve been here over a year and have seen no evidence of gangs at all. You may occasionally here the squeel of tyres from boy racers but certainly no worse than anything we experienced in the UK. I do however believe that there may be a problem in some of the bigger cities and some pockets in the smaller ones.
Napier is lovely. It is a very clean and friendly place. In fact most of Hawkes Bay is really nice. Bourbon Biscuit is the one to ask as she is a local. We are in Papamoa, about 200metres away from Am Loolah.
My experience of the locals is that they are a friendly bunch and mostly put themselves out to be helpful. Again, I do know of some brits that have struggled to make friends but I think that if you join a few clubs (sport or social) you will meet people.
Shops. Where we are is fine but I would imagine some of the smaller towns have less to offer. Again, Napier is good.
Education. Hmm.....different, I guess sums up my thoughts on that one. There seems to be a much more layed back approach but then thats just my opinion as is all of the above.
Recomended- A recce. NZ may not be for you. Have a look first. It`s a hell of a long way to come and get it wrong. We, however, love it.
Good Luck
Ash
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

PVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

We are based in Wellington but OH is from Hawkes Bay.

Napier is a great place to live but most of the Brits are moving to Havelock North which is about 15 mins from Napier. The area is beatiful and I love going as often as possible as it has a climate all of its own, and the vinyards are a bonus. If you are going for the beach then it is stoney and I dont recommend you swim there at times as the swell is quite strong but there are some beautiful sandy beaches not far away!

I will admit that there is a gang presence in the Bay but they are mainly based over near Hastings at a place called Flexmere but they are not as bad as I think they are made out to be. Certainly dont go out rioting!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

On the gang thing - we stopped at a shop near where wifey works which happens to be opposite the local Mongrel Mob house.

She went in the shop and I waited in the car. There was an old Holden parked next to me and people kept coming up to talk to the driver. I wasn't looking at what might be going on!!

Anyway when she came out there was a guy standing by her side of the car wearing a gang shirt with "in memory of" someone on there, with about four gang tattoos on his face (not Maori moko, proper gang tats). I was a bit concerned!
He smiled and said hello then politely moved out of her way!

Then again there are a couple of their kids in her class

Mostly they will leave you alone I think, as long as you don't get on the wrong side of them!!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

hey,

We have been here eight months in Auckland and have seen no gang activity. Although we were in Sydney last week and saw two gang fights and lots of drug dealing, this was in the CBD and not Kings Cross! As for making friends we have had no problem with this , I think the key thing is to join clubs (social or sport) and the friends will appear. The locals here are great and I am surprised that some local shops and cafes already know us and what we like.

So I think everyone experiences different things. But as someone else said if you can try and come and visit for a recce before you make the commitment to move half way round the world that would be useful. It will not answer all of your questions but it will certainly help.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weejie

Phyllis
just had my invite for it and now trying organise which day is best, but i'm looking forward to it.... the one we're going to is on the 10th and 11th April in Leeds and costs £10 per couple is this the one that everyone else is going on? hope it answers some of the money questions...thanks to everyone who gave me the positives now i feel it's balanced again. sometimes when you read the bad stuff you get brought back to reality (UK style) so happier again at the possible prospect of emigrating

Last edited by big nelly; Mar 11th 2008 at 8:18 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:43 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

just had my invite for it and now trying organise which day is best, but i'm looking forward to it.... the one we're going to is on the 10th and 11th April in Leeds and costs £10 per couple is this the one that everyone else is going on? hope it answers some of the money questions...thanks to everyone who gave me the positives now i feel it's balanced again. sometimes when you read the bad stuff you get brought back to reality (UK style) so happier again at the possible prospect of emigrating
No 12th - at the armory - 12.50 a ticket (only NZ stuff though)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.