Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mayor for the 'Supercity'

Mayor for the 'Supercity'

Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mayor for the 'Supercity'

So how are we supposed to decide? Close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey or what? I am keen to vote cos there's a couple of them candidates; Andrew Williams for one, who I really would not like to see running this whole gaff.

I've eliminated Mr Williams purely on the basis of his drunken antics, being caught peeing up a tree outside the council head office and sending rude text messages to the PM at 3am. So he's definitely not getting my vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aucklan...election,_2010

So anyone got any else got any clues, who's good, bad, a fruit loop, or otherwise. I would like to make an informed choice, considering it is now a proper job taking on the whole Auckland region and really quite important that we all have our say in who gets to be the one to shape the future of this so-called 'Super City'.

It seems to be all down to Banks or Brown and one of those I think is a clown.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Sep 21st 2010 at 11:10 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mayor for the 'Supercity'

Len Brown http://www.lenbrownformayor.co.nz/

He says:

There are some core policies and beliefs I would bring to the position:

Completing the work to build fully integrated transport system linking our roads, rail, airports and shipping ports, with a significant upgrade of public transport.

Supporting the business community through the development of high-speed broadband, better regulations, greater support for tourism and events, and a much greater focus on the export sector and business development.

Public ownership of assets is crucial to our long-term economic growth. Maintaining our interests in the airport, port and water are crucial to developing those assets for the benefit of all of Auckland.

Protecting and enhancing facilities such as libraries, pools and parks, and working towards, over time, extending the free entry to swimming pools and John Walker Field of Dreams policies which currently exist in Manukau across the city.

Building on the significant work led by Waitakere, and picked up by the other cities.

Sustainability must be central to the new city.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Sep 21st 2010 at 11:21 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

John Banks has far too much to quote:

http://www.johnbanks.co.nz/principles/opportunity/
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

It's worth considering that we hear the dreaded 'Poll Tax' is being bandied about, someone dared mentioned it as an option for the future.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10673241

Anyone know of any other big issues that need to be weighed up?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Len Brown for me.
Basically anyone that is a serious contender that's not Banks.

I don't want the Super City and therefore can't vote for someone that embraced it so wholeheartedly. I might be one eyed but hey - it's my vote!!!!!!!!

The council I have no clue, and even less about the healthboards apart from the person that I know that is standing- I'll vote for her.

I tend to vote city vision all the way for the council...although I have been known to vote randomly when I got bored (Oh he looks nice, she has nice hair, everyone that I know with that name is nice) I'm an insult to democracy
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina View Post
Len Brown for me.
Basically anyone that is a serious contender that's not Banks.
My thoughts too, the trouble is I don't know enough about Mr Brown to know if he's any better.

For the DHB election I read the pamphlet last night to see if I could choose between the candidates and much like your selection criteria I dismissed many on the basis of appearance, looking like a dork, sounding like a dork or being a smart ass. There's way too many to choose from and it made me wonder if they put much thought into or spent much time thinking about the way they come across in their blurbs, because that's all I have to go on apart from the million billboards with their mugshots all over town.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

To vastly over-simplify:
Banks - a bit of a right-leaning politician. Pick him if you're a national voter and keen on minimal local government
Brown - left leaning. Pick him if you want rates to creep up, race-based council seats and an emphasis on better (ie more expensive) infrastructure.
I think you can forget about any others because they won't stand a chance against these two
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, I kind of forgot about the political persuasion, so whilst your information was useful it has just made my decision a little harder.

It'll be interesting to say the least, to see how they actually go about rationalising the household and water rates, because clearly there are significant differences between the various councils in their present form.