British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   May have to move to Hamilton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/may-have-move-hamilton-947447/)

MrsFychan Mar 17th 2023 3:49 am

May have to move to Hamilton

so anyone have any suggestions for places.

Husband lost his job month or so ago and had an interview for a position which is 2 days in the office in Riverlea then remote

At the moment we live in Waikane, on Kapiti coast, which was basically a retirement surburb with a lovely flat area known locally as the Garden area which has shops, Countdown, New World, Post Office, cafes, boutique cinema, hairdressers, vets, restaurants, train station all within 10 min from where we live.

so really hoping there is something similar not to far from Riverlea, husband can drive from or public transport from hopefully witihin 1/2 hour.

He may not get the job, obviously, but I like to be informed and prepared for things

Thanks in advance

Bo-Jangles Mar 17th 2023 5:07 am

Re: May have to move to Hamilton

I think the only answer is Cambridge; it will tick all your boxes but not sure how house prices would compare.

Justcol Mar 17th 2023 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13180246)
I think the only answer is Cambridge; it will tick all your boxes but not sure how house prices would compare.

Cambridge will be 1million for anything under 15years old

Te Awamutu is nice but cheaper.
Lots of nice suburbs in Hamilton to suit all tastes

Riverlea is really a kind of nowhere suburd and often gets associated with Hillcrest. It was nice enough when I lived in Cambridge but the houses were mostly older type

MrsFychan Mar 18th 2023 9:47 pm

I am finding that Riverlea doesnt really come up in the house sales, it does all seem to he Hillcrest, not a lot of houses for sale though. Shall have a look at Cambridge.

Justcol Mar 20th 2023 7:53 pm

I'm not sure why you feel the need to live in Riverlea. It's a just tiny area of a few streets off the Hillcrest roundabout. You can easily travel to Riverlea from any suburb or outlying area of Hamilton, from horsham downs in the north to Te Awamutu in the south. Towns like Morrisville and Tirau will be no more than a 30 minute commute or if you fancy a little country living, whatwhata is doable in about 25 mins.
Riverlea is an inner city suburb next to sh1 and all the road noise that comes with it

Chocolate eclair Mar 22nd 2023 11:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your husband's job Mrs F. Hope he lands this one. I did have a friend who lived in Kihikihi just down from Te Awamutu. She liked living there but has since headed to Geraldine with her new partner. Te Awamutu is the sort of place were everything shuts down at 12pm on a Saturday!
Like others have said, Cambridge may be a better option.