Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mature student........

Mature student........

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mature student........

Has anyone here applied to Auckland Uni as a mature student?

Scary thought at .. years young but may be considering it in the next year depending on PR and costs etc as when i checked fees for foreign students (ie.pre PR) a while back it was scarily huge......

I'm assuming when you have PR that you can enter like anyone else here in NZ?

A friends wife has recently completed a long course in some sort of wine sciences etc and got a grant and funding, anyone else succeeded in getting a grant to cover course fees etc..?

I'm not look at wine sciences i just drink it by the way.......

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 10th 2008 at 12:15 am.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:47 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Mature student........

No worries. If you have PR your application will be treated the same as a domestic student's, not an international student.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Tuesday will reveal all...........

I did ask the wife, 'if i get in does it mean i can party most weeks with the young students' but it didn't go down that well...........

Also not allowed to have drunken student parties at the house.....damn

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 10th 2008 at 2:36 am.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niseysOH

Scary thought at .. years young but may be considering it in the next year depending on PR and costs etc as when i checked fees for foreign students (ie.pre PR) a while back it was scarily huge......

I'm assuming when you have PR that you can enter like anyone else here in NZ?

A friends wife has recently completed a long course in some sort of wine sciences etc and got a grant and funding, anyone else succeeded in getting a grant to cover course fees etc..?

Wine Science????!!!!

My like the sound of that - can one make a career out of it?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Wine Science????!!!!

My like the sound of that - can one make a career out of it?
I'll no doubt be be studying the practical side part time alongside the course i want to take to relieve the stress......

I wonder if they have practical lectures on..... 'keep drinking until you fall over'?

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 10th 2008 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was told that the course had involved extensive travel within NZ on tasting days etc and getting to know particular wineries very well.......

Wine Science Course

Maybe the picture at the head of the above link when you go to it sets the tone for the course......
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

must be a cheaper way to get cheap wine...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

I've just completed the first year of a Post Grad Diploma at the Uni - only part-time (ie evening lectures - 5.30pm until 9pm one night a week).

Don't know what you have applied for, but we are in the new Owen Glen building (Business School) which looks great, but has its faults

The "young students" are a pain in the arse tbh - noisy, smelly and no respect for quiet in the library Actually.....most aren't too bad

Its great being in study again and actually realising the benefits of doing the work and not just getting through the course! Completely different to Undergrad studies!

Neil
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Rob is just starting the 3rd year of a nursing degree and I'm completing a Masters. Not however through Auckland uni.

Gill
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilw71

Don't know what you have applied for, but we are in the new Owen Glen building (Business School) which looks great, but has its faults
Not formally applied for anything yet but have been told that applications are still possible and have a meeting with the Law School on Tuesday.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

persilheinz has a spectacular aura aboutpersilheinz has a spectacular aura aboutpersilheinz has a spectacular aura about

Not formally applied for anything yet but have been told that applications are still possible and have a meeting with the Law School on Tuesday.
Are you thinking of going on to work in the legal field?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Are the courses a lot cheaper once you get PR?

I should have started Law BA in Sept but have deferred (keeping options open)as we hope to come over to NZ.

Things a bit up in the air just now.

Would have considered doing Law degree in NZ.....................like you I have Police background.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:08 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jill1420
Are the courses a lot cheaper once you get PR?
Heaps cheaper for permanent residents and citizens. Of course books and stuff like that are the same, but domestic students will pay about a third of the fees that international students pay. Domestic students will also be eligible for interest free student loans and scholarships and study awards.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks