British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Maternity (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/maternity-445815/)

grimm Apr 29th 2007 8:08 am

Maternity

Hi,
We've been living in Auckland for just over a year now on work visas that run out in 2009. I've just found out that I'm pregnant and have started panicking about the cost of living on just my husband's wage. I think we'll be left with under $200 a week to survive on when I've had the baby.
I'm not sure if I have to pay for all the antenatal costs either because I don't have PR.
Wondering if we can survive, we're considering fleeing home to Wales and starting over but with family to support us.
Any comments would be appreciated, especially if someone else is going or has gone through the same?
M

karonious Apr 29th 2007 8:22 am

Re: Maternity

Originally Posted by grimm (Post 4712627)
Hi,
We've been living in Auckland for just over a year now on work visas that run out in 2009. I've just found out that I'm pregnant and have started panicking about the cost of living on just my husband's wage. I think we'll be left with under $200 a week to survive on when I've had the baby.
I'm not sure if I have to pay for all the antenatal costs either because I don't have PR.
Wondering if we can survive, we're considering fleeing home to Wales and starting over but with family to support us.
Any comments would be appreciated, especially if someone else is going or has gone through the same?
M

I'm sorry, I can't help. just wanted to say:
congratulations on your pregnancy
commiserations on your predicament
It sounds like you would rather stay here than go home so I hope it works out for you. I assume you won't be entitled to any kind of child benefit with a work visa?
Karma doesn't help but it does let you know that people are sending you their best wishes - so have some Karma :thumbup:

SarahB Apr 29th 2007 8:23 am

Re: Maternity

Firstly.... congratulations!! :)

Hi, yes I had a baby here at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland in January.

We have PR and I did have to prove that, so not sure what would happen if you dont have PR. I just walked into Botany Maternity Unit (after asking friends where I needed to go), and got the ball rolling there. My midwife lives in my village and also works at Botany so that was handy. Is there a website anywhere that will tell you what you are entitled to?

I had an elective c-section. It all went to plan and I was looked after very well, I have nothing but praise for everyone from my midwife, to the doctors and midwives at Middlemore, and then everyone at Botany. It was a good experience unlike what happened to me in the UK. TBH if Id stayed in the UK I would never have had another baby.

I have found it hard not having any family here, but I do have a good group of friends and I know that I can ask them and they will go out of their way to help me.

My little girl is now nearly 4 months old and totally gorgeous, of course I'm biased!:D

So my experience of having a baby here has been good. Its my second and last child as I'm too old now to ever do it again :ohmy:

Not sure if I can help in any way but feel free to ask any questions, and I will try to help.

Edited to add, as for buying stuff for baby.... try Trademe... I got no-end of bargains from there. As I wasnt going to have any more kids I got rid of everything and had to buy all over again. I am now selling outgrown toddler and baby clothes on Trademe and am slightly addicted.. lol