Mass exodus

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mass exodus

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I have direct experience of my own staff leaving to go to Oz after the earthquakes. They are Kiwis mostly and have had enough of the ChCh shakes. They are very skilled, and it's a sad loss to NZ. but out of our control.

I went back to the UK 3 weeks ago for a short trip and was depressed by the situation there, all my family are adversely impacted, including us as we still have a house there which is now almost certainly in negative equity. My son lost his well paid job, our friends are worse off, and the government seems to be hanging on by a thread.

Jan
Very, very sad eh? Sorry to hear all the above. That is why both Kate and I have / are cashing in our UK pensions because we do not believe there will be a pot to piss in soon couple withe huge incentive that it is all tax free.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Droidling
Oz is hugely overrated in my opinion. I got all the the 'well if you like NZ,OZ is sooooo much better' guff when I was in Auckland.
Being younger and impressionable i sucked it in,and me and the ex moved to Brisbane after considerable personal endurances (and a 6 month recce) and we had had enough after a year. Then moved back to uk to find work again.
The reality is if you like the outdoors life and variety NZ is hard to beat. You can tramp like nothing else/canoe/Ski/surf/Motorbike/all in a weekend. And jeez I hope it will still be the same when I get back there.
You go to Oz,live to work again,get a house in an outer suburb in dullsville (because that's all you can afford) and dream about all those wonderful exciting weekends you had in NZ because everything's too far away in oz.Oh but you can have BBQ's ...
To bring out an often used adage OZ is a place for a sabatical or backpacker 6 months adventure,not for working/living.
My 10 penneth.
Very interesting take on things there. I have always had an issue with the size of Oz (I think Tazzy would be the only place I could settle), NZ is a microcosm of wonderousness. Its all doable. I do think in some ways Oz is a 'sexier' country..especially if you are younger. It is a great place but all in all I reckon you are right that NZ is probably an easier place to live long term especially if you are an old fart like me. BUT I would make this caveat. NZ is a crap place to be if there is more going out the back door than coming in the front. Not a good place at all. Mind you where is? Biggest thing is to do your sums. Make sure you will have sufficient coming in each week to keep that wolf from the door. It has been said many a time, you can't eat beaches, fijords or views.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

I like the term 'sexier' country.
Surfing big at Muriwai,or Bethell's beach.
Fantastic tramping/rock climbing in Waitakere
Snowboarding at Ruapehu
Take your Honda Fireblade for a big NI circuit via Opononi for Fush and chups (nail it on the way back !!)
Take a boat cruise in the Bay of Islands.
Any on the above and have a few sherbets in Takapuna/Devonport/Harbourfront after to recap.
So mundane,i agree. Yes NZ has an image problem !
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:25 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Has it snowed yet at Ruapehu this year? I'd heard that Queenstown was looking rather spartan, the weather has been so messed up this year.

Did you do much surfing at Muirwai Droidling and how would you rate it to the surfing over here? I'd never tried it myself but it looks fun, body boarding is my limit and I give up as soon as concussion sets in