British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mass exodus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mass-exodus-721892/)

Genesis Jun 21st 2011 11:16 pm

Mass exodus

Since 1979 the biggest number of people have left NZ for Oz (in a May period) according to reports today. Some say its because of the Chch EQ others say its because they are chasing a better 'everything'. One radio presenter suggests NZ is at risk of becoming an even quieter backwater than it currently is.

Personally it bothers me not at the moment as we will be assured a continuing low density population, however if too many leave there will be no one to look after me when I have lost my mind and can no longer look after myself.

Where on earth is NZ headed??

P18PPS Jun 21st 2011 11:37 pm

Re: Mass exodus

I think NZ will always be a backwater! I wonder if the increased exodus figures have something to do with the 5 years it now takes to get citizenship - perhaps the numbers leaving are just catching up with those who gained residency 5 or so years ago? Also I'm sure that the world economy slump at the moment is deferring people's emigration plans from europe to NZ.... maybe there's contingency of prospective UK immigrants who are waiting for the GBP to increase in strength before making the move - perhaps?

Expat Kiwi Jun 21st 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9448104)
I think NZ will always be a backwater! I wonder if the increased exodus figures have something to do with the 5 years it now takes to get citizenship - perhaps the numbers leaving are just catching up with those who gained residency 5 or so years ago? Also I'm sure that the world economy slump at the moment is deferring people's emigration plans from europe to NZ.... maybe there's contingency of prospective UK immigrants who are waiting for the GBP to increase in strength before making the move - perhaps?

You'd have to look at British emigration to other countries to see if the GBP is making people hold back but not everyone emigrates from Britain, you also need to look at what's holding people back from other countries like China, India, Korea, Japan etc.

Your observation about the five year rule is an interesting one, I'm sure that there's a lot of truth in that.

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9448074)
Since 1979 the biggest number of people have left NZ for Oz (in a May period) according to reports today. Some say its because of the Chch EQ others say its because they are chasing a better 'everything'. One radio presenter suggests NZ is at risk of becoming an even quieter backwater than it currently is.

Personally it bothers me not at the moment as we will be assured a continuing low density population, however if too many leave there will be no one to look after me when I have lost my mind and can no longer look after myself.

Where on earth is NZ headed??

With each successive quake, closer and closer to Australia - both metaphorically and physically ;)

bourbon-biscuit Jun 22nd 2011 6:20 am

Glass half full Genesis- think what this exodus means for those of us reliant on the careers of health care workers :lol:

I feel quite satisfied; on balance I would say we picked the perfect time to bring money over from Britain and buy a house :rofl:

Charlie Paynter Jun 22nd 2011 9:07 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well Genesis, personally I believe that the exodus from NZ is to do with the good wines we now have in MH!

Bo-Jangles Jun 22nd 2011 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9448112)
You'd have to look at British emigration to other countries to see if the GBP is making people hold back but not everyone emigrates from Britain, you also need to look at what's holding people back from other countries like China, India, Korea, Japan etc.

I don't think there is too much slow down in the numbers coming in or any issue with number in the queue to get here as they can always fill their inwards immigration quota. The news today was more about the pickup in the numbers of people leaving - most specifically for Australia.

Statistics NZ figures show 3300 New Zealanders left for Australia last month, topping the record of 2900 set in 1979.
They're saying this is to some extent fuelled by the quake, however quite clearly the message is that the quake has been an 'added incentive to leave'; just another reason among the masses already highly motivated to go offshore for better wages and standards of living.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10733691

I know people here laugh and guffaw up there sleeves about wanting to live in a low population, but at the end of the day someone has to work here to fund the rebuild of Christchurch, pay the pensioners and beneficiaries, replace the failing infrastructure, roads, transport, health service, education, police forces etc that we're all too well aware are not financially sustainable for the present population even now; with the present and previous Governments in denial and living way beyond the means of the country.

As the bloke in the article says:

"The long-term issue is if we don't pick up our living standards again so the incentive to go to Australia is less, then we've got a major problem."

The answer always seems to be how to attract more migrants: for they bring wealth, money and investment to the country, rather than to stop the rot and plug the constant stream of those going outwards.

Those that are leaving probably don't have a pot to pee in after living here for any length of time and the hope is they will be replaced by considerably richer folks who will spend up large in the shops, on houses and other asset until they too are bled dry and limp off in the same direction.

gazmfc Jun 23rd 2011 12:56 pm

I think the issues in the UK and mainland Europe are bound to have an effect on the inward migration to NZ or anywhere else.

A report on the radio here this morning states that 90% of homes bought since 2006 are now in a state of negative equity. The days when Brits could sell up and take a pot of money with them to NZ, OZ, the US or anywhere else are gone.

I'm certain there are plenty of people in the UK and Europe who would love to leave but are trapped by the current economic conditions. Another report today states the average person in the UK has £12 less in his/her pocket per week than this time LAST year, who knows what the ccomparison would be against 2008! And all this before the well documented public sector cuts take effect!!

Inflation is at 4.5% and rising, house prices are falling, job losses are on the increase, the EU is in a mess and the British tax payer and major banks are into Ireland, Spain and Portugal for £220 Billion....not to mention Greece! If/when Greece does default on its loans it is likely to have a major knock on effect that will impact everyone in Europe.

I talk to other business owners every day and they all have the same story, nobody is spending money and everyone I talk to is loosing money, it's a depressing state of affairs!

I received a battering on here a few months ago when I pointed out the current issues in the UK as I perceived them and my forecasts for the immediate future to someone who was contemplating returning "home". I stand by those predictions but would add I actually believe it may be worse than I predicted then.

As a Kiwi friend, business associate and Christchurch resident who owns businesses in NZ and Europe said on Tuesday "people back home just can't comprehend how bad it is here Gary".

NZ has it's issues like anywhere else and I wouldn't dismiss them, the EQ in ChCh is a disaster for all concerned but I think all this talk of a mass exodus and NZ having no future is far from realistic.

From what I've seen NZ is a beautiful place with so many opportunities and I for one can't wait to get there.

Roll on July!! :thumbsup:

johneastriggs Jun 23rd 2011 7:31 pm

And what to NZIS do?
They are cutting another 10 points of qualifications of Levels 3–6 from 50 points down to 40 points.{25th July}
That will stop more people trying to make NZ a better place.

Sorry for the sarcasm

Genesis Jun 23rd 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by gazmfc (Post 9452225)

NZ has it's issues like anywhere else and I wouldn't dismiss them, the EQ in ChCh is a disaster for all concerned but I think all this talk of a mass exodus and NZ having no future is far from realistic.

From what I've seen NZ is a beautiful place with so many opportunities and I for one can't wait to get there.

Roll on July!! :thumbsup:

Hi Gary, NZ is a wonderful place and a rare place. Alas the rarity has a price. We are a very, very low popualtion country which has huge benefits. It also has down sides, of course the term 'mass exodus' was a tad tongue in cheek but the figures do not lie about what is happening. Many (certainly on a per capita basis) see NZ as a growing back water, a tiddler in the global fish pond. There are good opportunities to be had here of course BUT there are LOADS more elsewhere. We are also rare because of our isolation from the world which I think makes NZ a bit special. Kids here seem kids way longer than they do in the UK where peer pressure and 'trainer fashion' are the norm. But the isolation has the downside, expensive foodstuffs and imports, expensive to go anywhere, a very common complaint.

So this thread was just food for thought for those on the way. I am a great believer in telling it how it is. I think I have changed since the forum was lambasted by some mad woman who had a right go because no one had told her about any of the downsides of NZ..or perchance she chose not to read them. Anyway since that time I have been very open and honest about all the good and bad that prevails in this little 'island of the long white cloud' (Aotearoa) pronounced ow tay row a (more or less).

I still love it here after 6 years. I have issues and problems about some bits of life in NZ for sure..who does not?? But I manage to keep most of them in the waaaay too hard box under the bed. They just come out when I need a rant.

I genuinely am (and not too deep down) still excited about being here even after 6 years.

Genesis Jun 23rd 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by johneastriggs (Post 9452962)
And what to NZIS do?
They are cutting another 10 points of qualifications of Levels 3–6 from 50 points down to 40 points.{25th July}
That will stop more people trying to make NZ a better place.

Sorry for the sarcasm

You can be a sarcastic as you like about any public office. Most are run by turnips IMO.

gazmfc Jun 23rd 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9453114)
Hi Gary, NZ is a wonderful place and a rare place. Alas the rarity has a price. We are a very, very low popualtion country which has huge benefits. It also has down sides, of course the term 'mass exodus' was a tad tongue in cheek but the figures do not lie about what is happening. Many (certainly on a per capita basis) see NZ as a growing back water, a tiddler in the global fish pond. There are good opportunities to be had here of course BUT there are LOADS more elsewhere. We are also rare because of our isolation from the world which I think makes NZ a bit special. Kids here seem kids way longer than they do in the UK where peer pressure and 'trainer fashion' are the norm. But the isolation has the downside, expensive foodstuffs and imports, expensive to go anywhere, a very common complaint.

So this thread was just food for thought for those on the way. I am a great believer in telling it how it is. I think I have changed since the forum was lambasted by some mad woman who had a right go because no one had told her about any of the downsides of NZ..or perchance she chose not to read them. Anyway since that time I have been very open and honest about all the good and bad that prevails in this little 'island of the long white cloud' (Aotearoa) pronounced ow tay row a (more or less).

I still love it here after 6 years. I have issues and problems about some bits of life in NZ for sure..who does not?? But I manage to keep most of them in the waaaay too hard box under the bed. They just come out when I need a rant.

I genuinely am (and not too deep down) still excited about being here even after 6 years.

That's fine by me Genesis I was just trying to give a balanced view on the UK, I do still love the UK but it's broken and it's changed beyond belief in such a short space of time.

I'm sure i'll find something that annoys me in NZ given time but I still think the pros far outweigh the cons!

I'm delighted you're still loving life there after 6 years, I sure hope we settle as well. :fingerscrossed:

Jan n Neil Jun 23rd 2011 10:16 pm

I have direct experience of my own staff leaving to go to Oz after the earthquakes. They are Kiwis mostly and have had enough of the ChCh shakes. They are very skilled, and it's a sad loss to NZ. :thumbdown: but out of our control.

I went back to the UK 3 weeks ago for a short trip and was depressed by the situation there, all my family are adversely impacted, including us as we still have a house there which is now almost certainly in negative equity. My son lost his well paid job, our friends are worse off, and the government seems to be hanging on by a thread.

Jan

alanmacc Jun 23rd 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9448074)

I note the liberal use of the word "WHEN" in your sentance of loosing your mind, some would say you already have :lol:

Genesis Jun 23rd 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9453314)
I note the liberal use of the word "WHEN" in your sentance of loosing your mind, some would say you already have :lol:

That too is very funny, apt and correct. Sorry, it was a typo and I can't change it now.:thumbsup:

Droidling Jun 23rd 2011 11:27 pm

Oz is hugely overrated in my opinion. I got all the the 'well if you like NZ,OZ is sooooo much better' guff when I was in Auckland.
Being younger and impressionable i sucked it in,and me and the ex moved to Brisbane after considerable personal endurances (and a 6 month recce) and we had had enough after a year. Then moved back to uk :eek: to find work again.
The reality is if you like the outdoors life and variety NZ is hard to beat. You can tramp like nothing else/canoe/Ski/surf/Motorbike/all in a weekend. And jeez I hope it will still be the same when I get back there.
You go to Oz,live to work again,get a house in an outer suburb in dullsville (because that's all you can afford) and dream about all those wonderful exciting weekends you had in NZ because everything's too far away in oz.Oh but you can have BBQ's ... :zzz::zzz:
To bring out an often used adage OZ is a place for a sabatical or backpacker 6 months adventure,not for working/living.
My 10 penneth. :)