British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Marlbourgh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/marlbourgh-906281/)

Stuck in Auckland Nov 26th 2017 6:29 pm

Marlbourgh

Any feedback on this area Nelson, Blenheim for possible relocation in 2018

BEVS Nov 26th 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Marlbourgh

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12389396)
Any feedback on this area Nelson, Blenheim for possible relocation in 2018

What sort of feedback are you looking for?

Stuck in Auckland Nov 26th 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12389409)
What sort of feedback are you looking for?

Inside knowledge you cant find on google or just peoples experiences

For example areas that are best kept away from

Example "Taxi's from Blenheim Airport"

Justcol Nov 27th 2017 5:55 am

Nelson is nice, motueka is better, can't comment on Blenheim

BEVS Nov 27th 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12389569)
Nelson is nice, motueka is better, can't comment on Blenheim

You haven't lived in either. :lol:

Justcol Nov 27th 2017 8:08 am

No but I have friends and family in both and have spent time in both
Just thought I'd offer something to get the ball rolling
And I thought the tone was of an acceptable level, so that's a big thumbs up for me
Anyway back to the topic

BEVS Nov 27th 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12389598)
No but I have friends and family in both and have spent time in both
Just thought I'd offer something to get the ball rolling
And I thought the tone was of an acceptable level, so that's a big thumbs up for me
Anyway back to the topic

That is absolutely fair enough. I had no idea you had actual family out here Col. :thumbup: Thought it was just you & immediates that emigrated.
No idea you'd lived here either.

Share your inside knowledge .

simonsi Nov 27th 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12389598)

:rofl:

Stuck in Auckland Nov 27th 2017 7:25 pm

Looking to buy a vineyard or brewery

Have looked at a place called Havelock which is at start of sounds.

BEVS Nov 27th 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12389934)
Looking to buy a vineyard or brewery

Have looked at a place called Havelock which is at start of sounds.

Ah! Then as you know you are definitely in the right regions. I'm going to ping Catcha .

There is nothing at Havelock really but that may be what you are looking for. Quiet place but yes, if you have a boat it is a gateway out onto the Sounds.

Around Nelson and Tasman there are plenty of boutique vineyards & micro breweries . I haven't heard of many disastrous years but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention. With this area, unless you are over Takaka Hill into Golden Bay you are going to have easy enough access to townships and Nelson if needs be. Of course this area is out on a limb so getting anywhere outside of this area can be a bit of a mission unless it is a couple of internal flights.

Stuck in Auckland Nov 27th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12389942)
Ah! Then as you know you are definitely in the right regions. I'm going to ping Catcha .

There is nothing at Havelock really but that may be what you are looking for. Quiet place but yes, if you have a boat it is a gateway out onto the Sounds.

Around Nelson and Tasman there are plenty of boutique vineyards & micro breweries . I haven't heard of many disastrous years but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention. With this area, unless you are over Takaka Hill into Golden Bay you are going to have easy enough access to townships and Nelson if needs be. Of course this area is out on a limb so getting anywhere outside of this area can be a bit of a mission unless it is a couple of internal flights.

Its supposed to be around 40 to 50 mins drive from Havelock to Blenheim?. Followed a utube clip and it seemed very straight drive - basically turn right at Renwick (from Blenheim).

Strategically it would then also be 50/50 nelson airport or Blenheim? or seaplane from picton depending on tide. Digressing but I would love to do up a catalina.

I prefer isolation and quick access to deep water (sailing/mooring) and fishing.

Internet I guess is a very high consideration.

Mussel sandwiches, wine and quiet is bliss for me.

BEVS Nov 27th 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12389950)
Its supposed to be around 40 to 50 mins drive from Havelock to Blenheim?. Followed a utube clip and it seemed very straight drive - basically turn right at Renwick (from Blenheim).

Strategically it would then also be 50/50 nelson airport or Blenheim? or seaplane from picton depending on tide. Digressing but I would love to do up a catalina.

I prefer isolation and quick access to deep water (sailing/mooring) and fishing.

Internet I guess is a very high consideration.

Mussel sandwiches, wine and quiet is bliss for me.

Yes. The drive Havelock / Blenheim is a straight drive. The Havelock/Nelson drive takes you up and over the Wangamoas. If you don't mind a hair pin then that is fine. Sometimes though the road can be down to one lane for obvious reasons. Weather. Slips. Accident.

Either airport will take you direct to the main centres of Auckland Wellington.
Nelson you can get to Queenstown & Christchurch direct.

If you want deep water then Nelson and Tasman may not be the ticket. It is extremely tidal here.

I believe the floatplane at Picton is still out of action. It crashed a while back.

Catchafire Nov 28th 2017 9:46 pm

Greetings from Marlborough.

Been here since 2007. Personally we love it, started our family here and love the whole area.

Pro's - Great weather, wine industry, amazing scenery, great place to bring up kids.

Cons - Blenheim itself does not have much about it, small city with little charm. Earthquakes, had a few big shakes over the years.

We have a trailer boat and launch from Picton or Havelock. Dont know much about waterside properties, but there seems to be a lot around.

Let me know if I can help.

Stuck in Auckland Nov 28th 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12390680)

Been here since 2007. Personally we love it, started our family here and love the whole area.

Pro's - Great weather, wine industry, amazing scenery, great place to bring up kids.

Cons - Blenheim itself does not have much about it, small city with little charm. Earthquakes, had a few big shakes over the years.

We have a trailer boat and launch from Picton or Havelock. Dont know much about waterside properties, but there seems to be a lot around.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks really appreciate it

We travel a lot so coming back to a home base or "Sanctuary" does not need a lot around it.

We have received loads of properties for sale from the estate agents - which may be a concern by the number, but the common attribute are the backdrop scenery from all the properties. Lush green gardens, bright blue skys.

Traffic jam on the way to airport was 2 people at the roundabout.

BEVS Nov 28th 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12390680)

Catcha :wub: