Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Marlborough Sound - Living & Sailing

Marlborough Sound - Living & Sailing

Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Marlborough Sound - Living & Sailing

Can anyone give me some information on Living/working/sailing in the Marlborough Sound area please? We are looking at a possible relocation to NZ in that area and would like some info before taking the plunge so to speak. We have lived/sailed on the West Coast of Scotland for many years and our research has led us to think that the 2 areas are very similar in many respects.

Appreciate any help given!

LiffyB
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all
Default Re: Marlborough Sound - Living & Sailing

A few quick points that you probably already know:

1. It's warmer in the sounds than in Scotland
2. There are fewer people in... er no.. they're probably about the same.
3. The midges are bigger with sharper teeth and known locally as sand flies.
4. Like scotland and midges, the sand flies aren't mentioned in the tourist brochures.
5. There are no plesiosaurs in the sounds.
6. Alcoholism is high in both countries, but the scots do better mars bars.
7. The NZ national plant isn't nasty and scratchy.
8. There is a north south divide in NZ. Just like in the UK.
9. The Marlborough fringe festival is actually about hair.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
A few quick points that you probably already know:

1. It's warmer in the sounds than in Scotland
2. There are fewer people in... er no.. they're probably about the same.
3. The midges are bigger with sharper teeth and known locally as sand flies.
4. Like scotland and midges, the sand flies aren't mentioned in the tourist brochures.
5. There are no plesiosaurs in the sounds.
6. Alcoholism is high in both countries, but the scots do better mars bars.
7. The NZ national plant isn't nasty and scratchy.
8. There is a north south divide in NZ. Just like in the UK.
9. The Marlborough fringe festival is actually about hair.
So basically not much difference then Will!!! We should feel right at home!

Liff
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:32 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiffyB
Can anyone give me some information on Living/working/sailing in the Marlborough Sound area please? We are looking at a possible relocation to NZ in that area and would like some info before taking the plunge so to speak. We have lived/sailed on the West Coast of Scotland for many years and our research has led us to think that the 2 areas are very similar in many respects.

Appreciate any help given!

LiffyB

Morning LiffyB
We lived in Marlborough for 2 years and have to say the Sounds are beautiful.

I've only been to the West Coast of Scotland once and can say that physically they are very similar. The Sounds are a very rugged landscape, with lots of Bays only accessible by boat.

Some may view it as quite an isolated area to live in, particularly if you live in the Outer Sounds and 'civilisation' would be a car journey to either Havelock or Picton or even into Blenheim itself. Saying that there are some great small settlements such as Moenui and Anakiwa, which are really popular with artists too ( for obvious reasons)

Most houses are still second homes out there, and as such you do see a MASSIVE increase in population over the summer too. However, because of the economic downturn, you could probably bag yourself a very good 'bargain' there at the moment. (and on a boat too)

The weather can be quite changeable too, especially if there is bad weather. The roads do become blocked in the winter, mainly due to landslips if there is a lot of rain, so you do need to have a big well stocked pantry and I wouldn't rely solely on electricity either for similar reasons.

I hope the info is helpful, sorry if it sounds 'negative' but I am just trying to be realistic; it is a truly gorgeous part of NZ and I will be there with my suitcase like a shot when you move in If I can be of any more help, then please sing out, and if I can find where my 15 year old has hidden the pics on the laptop, I'll post some on here for you.

Good Luck
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi P2L

Thanks so much for that information! It sounds interesting, in fact we lived in Nova Scotia in Canada for 3 years and lived in very similar conditions (albeit 12 foot of snow rather than landslides) with a touch of cabin fever thrown in every now and again!

Buying the boat bit sounds good - desperately trying to sell ours here in the UK - don't feel like sailing a 26 footer down to NZ!!!

Any photos would be very much appreciated - we are in the very first stages of a possible move to the area at the moment so any info is appreciated!

LiffyB
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:44 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some Real estate info to whet your apetite!!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...22=0&49=0&49=0

Some cool pics on there too

The boat search should start here

www.tradeaboat.co.nz

http://www.marlboroughmarinas.co.nz/Welcome

Last edited by P2L; Jun 5th 2009 at 9:58 pm. Reason: Added some more info ;-)
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

What will you do for work, though? If you can work from home or over the internet, or you are retiring, it would be ideal. You may be able to travel to Wellington a few days a week for work, but I doubt you'd find much work around the sounds.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

There is a specific job in mind - but as you say if it wasn't for that I doubt we would be able to find jobs for both of us. It looks beautiful - but kinda isolated not somewhere we would have normally choosen for our type of work - but the sailing would be awesome! If the job application dosn't work out its back to bug Lill' Sis in Welly I guess! But as you say a great place to retire to or opt out of the Rat race.

Liff
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The sounds are beautiful - one of my favourite regions in NZ. I have fond memories of boating holidays there when I was a kid and am looking forward to when my kids are old enough to enjoy a holiday on a chartered yacht there. We often went in May, and even then (in late autumn) it was warm enough to enjoy fishing and messing around in boats. Picton is quite a pleasant small town; I should think there are some real bargains in housing to be had there just now. I'd love to live in the Sounds if I could make a decent living there, I sometimes threaten the wife with selling up and buying a water taxi but she's not so keen.
Good luck with your plans
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Well if you have a job in mind I'd say go for it. Picton is a pretty little town with some nice shops, a few restaurants and pubs. Blenheim is a bit bigger and probably has most of what you want. Nelson is a few hours away, but a fair bit bigger again. Wellington is only a few hours away, if you want to see a show or visit the rellies. The sailing and the scenery are spectacular and I think it would take a while for you to get bored exploring the area. Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

What ever happens I do think that we will be going to Marlborough at some point - it looks stunning and the sailing areas look out of this world - can't wait to get on the water there.

Picton looks interesting - Havelock seems 'small' - anyone know what they're like for jobs - housing seems to be same price as Welly.

Liff
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Havelock is a real one horse town, it depends on what you do to make a living, there is more going on in Picton but it is still a pretty small town, Blenheim is a bit bigger than Picton and is about 9 miles [I think] away.
I live in Nelson and it is a one hour drive to Havelock which aside from Picton is the main gateway to the Marlborough Sounds, Havelock has a marina and sheds for hire for owners to store their boats, but stikes me as village made up of mainly restaurants for the tourist trade. Just my observation though.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:51 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by janek
Havelock is a real one horse town, it depends on what you do to make a living, there is more going on in Picton but it is still a pretty small town, Blenheim is a bit bigger than Picton and is about 9 miles [I think] away.
I live in Nelson and it is a one hour drive to Havelock which aside from Picton is the main gateway to the Marlborough Sounds, Havelock has a marina and sheds for hire for owners to store their boats, but stikes me as village made up of mainly restaurants for the tourist trade. Just my observation though.

It's 40km from Blenheim to Havelock and 30km to Picton.

From a work point of view, you are probbaly more likely to find work in Blenheim or Nelson, but it does depend what what line of work you have in mind??
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Everything is still up in the air ref work - but before we commit to anything we want to have as much information as possible so we can make an informed decision before we commit to possibly flying out early for an interview (if called). Wherever we live I think its going to have to be a joint commuting distance for both of us - I've just finished a Business Degree and I'll go out of my tree with boredom if I can't occupy my brain with something!

I appreciate all the help thats been given - as usual you have all come up trumps! (as I knew you would). Hopefully your info will allow us to make the right decision on whether to proceed - I think Lill' Sis thinks we want our head looking at but she's turning into a confirmed Wellytonian and likes her urban lifestyle ( for you KD). But after 30 years of moving around the world - being at the 'Company's' constant beck and call we feel the need to opt out - OH wants to pursue his ideal job - finally settle into a community - find somewhere the grandkids (?) can have adventures when they come to visit - and most of all - a fabulous area to sail in! Are we doing the right thing?????