Marks and Spencer VAT rort

Marks and Spencer VAT rort

Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

banaari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marks and Spencer VAT rort

Be ye warned.

Since the rollout of their new and appalling website:
Buying from M&S online, no matter where you live, you are now charged a price which reflects UK VAT.

For NZ, Aus customers, M&S are _keeping_ that additional 20%.

Quoting the reply I received from one of their customer service weasels this morning:
"The price you see on our website is the same price paid by our customers anywhere in the world. VAT is part of the item price where applicable and the price wont change where it's not applicable. For example an item which costs £10.00 on the website. If delivered in the UK the customer would be charged £10.00 for the item. If it's delivered to New Zealand the customer would be charged £10.00 for the item. This is to ensure all our customers pay the same price."

Last edited by banaari; Apr 27th 2014 at 8:39 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks and Spencer VAT rort

Mr H and I are not convinced that's legal. Not sure who we'd ask to investigate though, UK tax office perhaps?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have an issue with that as I have always paid the price on the website
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Banaari and welcome to this NZ forum.

You obviously must feel very strongly for your very first post to be a dire warning about M&S . Perhaps introduce yourself a little as it's good to share.

As for M&S. This is not new news at all . It's old news.

Given that M&S will deliver to NZ I am happy to pay the price on their website. If I wasn't , I wouldn't buy it.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by banaari
Be ye warned.

Since the rollout of their new and appalling website:
Buying from M&S online, no matter where you live, you are now charged a price which reflects UK VAT.

For NZ, Aus customers, M&S are _keeping_ that additional 20%.

Quoting the reply I received from one of their customer service weasels this morning:
"The price you see on our website is the same price paid by our customers anywhere in the world. VAT is part of the item price where applicable and the price wont change where it's not applicable. For example an item which costs £10.00 on the website. If delivered in the UK the customer would be charged £10.00 for the item. If it's delivered to New Zealand the customer would be charged £10.00 for the item. This is to ensure all our customers pay the same price."
Yes I have complained about this. I think John Lewis are doing it too. I spoke to Customs and Excise and they said it was not illegal. Unfortunately there is a legal loophole which some retailers are taking advantage of to boost their profits and there's nothing you can do except not buy from them.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply to customs and excise to claim vat back.
To be fair to M&S, they don't force you to buy from them,
just buy things from a nz shop, support our economy and
save yourself a heap of stress

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 27th 2014 at 11:31 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

haven't got a problem with it either. M&S has been extremely good at supplying me and my family with a very good service since I have been buying stuff from them since being in NZ. Tesco's also are extremely good. even letting me keep a refund they gave me when goods did not turn up in a timely manner but did so a month later. NZ post seemed to be the culprit but on informing Tesco's the items had eventually arrived they said glad it got there and keep the refund.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Justcol
You can apply to customs and excise to claim vat back.
To be fair to M&S, they don't force you to buy from them,
just buy things from a nz shop, support our economy and
save yourself a heap of stress
You can't claim back VAT on internet orders from outside the U.K., that is why the retailers are doing it as the extra 20% goes to their profit. But as many people say, they don't mind paying the extra. The only problem I have is that M&S are not up-front about it and many people don't realise it is happening. It took an exchange of at least 10 emails before they finally admitted how they were charging overseas customers and after that they took me off their distribution list! Might have labelled me as a bit of a trouble-maker.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Splitting hairs in my view. Be grateful that M&S accommodate you so that you can order such items of luxury from afar.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't pay VAT you should, ethically, be paying GST whilst importing tax free goods. Just like at the airport in the UK if you have purchased tax free from a store and you claim it back - the goods are then subject to the tax of the country to which you are taking them, surely?

Jan
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

This is not actually VAT even though it is the same amount. They get away with it because it is classed as a 'service charge' which to you and I as expats makes it look like it is the VAT element that has not been removed. So they do take it away with one hand and add on the same amount with the other!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
This is not actually VAT even though it is the same amount. They get away with it because it is classed as a 'service charge' which to you and I as expats makes it look like it is the VAT element that has not been removed. So they do take it away with one hand and add on the same amount with the other!
Ah I see
Old Apr 28th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I never shopped at M&S anyway.

What do they sell that you have to go to the trouble of having it shipped half way around the world
to be happy that you cant get here ??

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 28th 2014 at 5:55 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

Are there any clothing shops that do drop the VAT when shipping to NZ?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
What do they sell that you have to go to the trouble of having it shipped half way around the world
to be happy that you cant get here ??
Knickers of course!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.