Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Marketing jobs in Auckland- what's it like?

Marketing jobs in Auckland- what's it like?

Old May 5th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Question Marketing jobs in Auckland- what's it like?

Hi all. My husband and I are considering a move to Auckland in the next few months. He is a diesel mechanic so is on the shortage list, and I'll be looking to work in digital marketing.

What is the marketing industry like over there? How long is the working week and what sort of work ethic applies?

Are you expected to answer emails etc outside of working hours, and are you expected to work more than your contracted hours like what happens in the uk?

I know this all varies from company to company in the uk.

Any insight is much appreciated!
Old May 5th 2014, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marketing jobs in Auckland- what's it like?

See the last few pages of this thread for an idea of work ethic/hours etc... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831744
Old May 6th 2014, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Thank you. Doesn't look very positive does it?

Can anyone tell me anything nice about working in Auckland? lol
Old May 7th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Since I am fairly new to Auckland (after living in the UK for 16 years) I know little about working here. I am about to start a new job next week, so I guess I will find out. However, my sister works in marketing and it seems a vibrant and well remunerated career. She works more on the data side of things, but does get involved in the creative side occasionally. The business she works for (a large and well known chain of department stores) are trying to increase their online presence and are also aiming to use more targeted marketing approaches employing the benefits of big data. She works regular hours, as do the other staff in marketing at her place of work. She works longer only rarely, and though her work phone is with her at all times, it rarely rings except when she is off work on a weekday. The only time she works evenings or weekends is when she needs to attend agency events - hardly work though - parties, restaurants and boating trips! Maybe someone else on the forum has more direct experience of marketing, because perhaps I have an overly rosy view due to my sister.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you trafford, that sounds more positive than other comments I've read.

I am of course open to being flexible in a job, as I am in the UK, but the work/life balance is really important I think when moving to a new country to enjoy life a bit more! I've read quite a lot of negatives about being expected to work all hours under the sun for no extra pay (a bit like the UK!)

What is the name of the company your sister works for out of curiosity?

How are you finding Auckland in general? All the best with your new job!
Old May 7th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darbydoo View Post

Clues:

There's only one large department store chain in the world that doesn't have online presence

There's only one large department store chain in NZ

There are also lots of people in this field of employment in NZ

Old May 7th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darbydoo View Post
Thank you trafford, that sounds more positive than other comments I've read.

I am of course open to being flexible in a job, as I am in the UK, but the work/life balance is really important I think when moving to a new country to enjoy life a bit more! I've read quite a lot of negatives about being expected to work all hours under the sun for no extra pay (a bit like the UK!)

How are you finding Auckland in general? All the best with your new job!
If work-life balance is the main reason for you to move to NZ I would reconsider. The Netherlands for example would be a much better bet. Of course you never can be sure that a move to another country will bring better (or worse) working hours. Kind of a gamble.

Last edited by Assanah; May 7th 2014 at 11:46 am.
Old May 7th 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

It's not the main reason, just one of. Along with there being plenty to do in the evenings/ weekends and the friendly people.

My brother also lives there
Old May 7th 2014, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

DianaVB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello darbydoo, I'm afraid I can't help as I'm not even in Auckland yet, but I wanted to say hi as I work in Marketing and Communications too and will be moving to Auckland in September.

I'm a freelancer and mostly work with charities and small biz, so I don't think we'll be in competition. But would be great to keep in touch and hear how you get on. Good luck with the move and job hunt!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Diana, will keep in touch!

Good luck to you too
Old May 10th 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I work in Comms in Welly, but have marketing colleagues in Auckland...it's not much different to the UK.

They are a bit behind in terms of skills though.