British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Marine Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/marine-insurance-506803/)

cappuccino Jan 16th 2008 8:52 pm

Marine Insurance

I'm bogged down with packing and paperwork at the moment. Had a nice chat with Brian at Letton Percival and he explained the insurance process etc etc I am now trying to work out estimated values of my worldly goods. Its horrendous trying to itemise and work out new for old and at NZ values too.

How did you guys tackle this? Did you insure everything or were you selective?

simonmarkellis Jan 16th 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Marine Insurance

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 5798584)
I'm bogged down with packing and paperwork at the moment. Had a nice chat with Brian at Letton Percival and he explained the insurance process etc etc I am now trying to work out estimated values of my worldly goods. Its horrendous trying to itemise and work out new for old and at NZ values too.

How did you guys tackle this? Did you insure everything or were you selective?

We just insured those things that meant something and those things that were expensive.

cappuccino Jan 16th 2008 10:03 pm

Simon, has your shipment arrived yet? If so, was it all ok or were there any breakages/missing items? Have you moved into your new place yet?

simonmarkellis Jan 17th 2008 12:23 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 5798963)
Simon, has your shipment arrived yet? If so, was it all ok or were there any breakages/missing items? Have you moved into your new place yet?

It's here, I kepp going past it every day as I travel in and out of Wellington. I'm waiting for MAF and customs to say I can have it! Yep moved into our new house last week. Will be having a house warming in Feb, will post date when details sorted later.

CAN2NZ Jan 17th 2008 2:06 am

I think that there are a number of threads on insurance that you can search on. They are good. We didn't insure at all on our goods. We worked out what the cost of the insurance was and added it to the deductible. We then compared that to what we had in the container, assuming that some items may be damaged and or destroyed. We decided that it was unlikely to have it all wrecked and that it would then be cheaper to replace any items or have them fixed and be money in pocket. In the end, not a scratch on anything. I know a few others who have gone uninsured. Most people use insurance and there are probably some horror stories out there that justify the coverage. However, we made a calculation and saved the money. I bought a racing bike when I got here, so I didn't save it, but I enjoy the bike.