British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Marine Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/marine-insurance-476121/)

welshsteve Aug 22nd 2007 9:47 pm

Marine Insurance

Can somebody recommend a good straightforward insurer:huh:

TeamEmbo Aug 22nd 2007 9:59 pm

Re: Marine Insurance

Letton Percival cheaper than using your container people but you still have to itemise your stuff and give a value. Some people just copy the sheets given to them by the container people and forward that. They only insure professionally packed stuff.

teambwr47 Aug 22nd 2007 10:10 pm

We were going to use Letton's but bartered a bit with our movers (Fox) who in the end had a higher rate but no excess where as Lettons do and would'nt do the insurance excess free.

We ended up paying Fox slightly more than lettons but in the event of having to make a claim, which is why you have insurance at the end of the day, it would turn out to be cheaper plus idealy i wanted the insurance to be with the moving company's insurance house.

My wife knows more about the excee with lettons but i think from memory it was 1% of insured value?

For us if i've remembered right it meant damage up to £600 was not worth claiming so for example if one of our smaller LCD's arrived smashed its value would be close to the excess level.

If your stuff arrives damage free then paying the lesser rate is best obviously. It was a close descision for us but in the end we went with the movers........

TeamEmbo Aug 22nd 2007 10:27 pm

Yep, agree about the excess. But that is for the total claim, not per item. So if you had 5 things on your claim they would only pay out for the amount above the excess. Am not sure ours was 1% of total insured though, from memory it was only about 300 GBP and the total value of our container was around 60K GBP. I think.

teambwr47 Aug 22nd 2007 10:28 pm

I thought the claims bit was important for us because we're using NZ van Lines this end:rofl::rofl::rofl:

teambwr47 Aug 22nd 2007 10:34 pm

Yes its per claim......not per item.

They were very helpul actually and gave us some pointers on dealing with Fox's insurance:blink:

One thing that they told us was not ot bother with Mildew insurance or mechanical derangement, which are both extra's.
The reason Lettons gave was that unless you've packed something damp or wet then the the only reason mildew should form over the journey is by water ingress to the container which is covered under normal insurance and if an electrical item is shown to be working when it left the UK then its been damaged on route if it doesn't work here, again covered on normal insurance.

Lettons words themselves about these two aspects.

We took a video around our home before we left showing much of the furnture and tv's etc working.

TeamEmbo Aug 22nd 2007 10:50 pm

That was a good idea! Fortunately we didn't have to claim for anything; it all turned up ok, but I did wonder how we'd prove something was working before or what condition it was previously in should we have to claim.

We used the Removal Group, they were cheapest at 3,150 GBP for a 20'. They used F&N Worldwide packers who were great and got over 190 items in our container. This end we had Grace Removals who again were fab, very careful with our stuff and put everything in the rooms we asked them to.

SirEglamore Aug 24th 2007 12:47 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5223542)
I thought the claims bit was important for us because we're using NZ van Lines this end:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We found Van Lines good at this end. It was PSS who lost us 2 boxes of kit:curse:

julesnye Aug 28th 2007 3:03 pm

how could they do that if it was all numbered?:confused:

SirEglamore Aug 29th 2007 8:07 am

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 5244749)
how could they do that if it was all numbered?:confused:

2 boxes placed in garage to go on container.

all boxes labelled and listed on manifest

boxes labelled on manifest delivered

2 boxes not delivered in the move containing 10 pairs of oh's shoes and my tiling tools and power saw

(Where did they go cos they werent there when the container left:mad:)

lardyl Aug 29th 2007 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 5223538)
Yep, agree about the excess. But that is for the total claim, not per item. So if you had 5 things on your claim they would only pay out for the amount above the excess. Am not sure ours was 1% of total insured though, from memory it was only about 300 GBP and the total value of our container was around 60K GBP. I think.

Also bear in mind that many of the container companys' policies are not new for old and although your sums insured will be higher (and so the premiums will seem higher) you may be looking around on tradeMe should you have a total loss (perish the thought). Some will not insure items over a certain age for replacement (eg furniture items that may be very goodquality but over 10yrs old!) - for us that was the clincher - oh yeah and the price, more cover, lower premium, no brainer!!
Brian Naughton is the bloke at Letton Percival that dealt with us, we had no claims experience (thankfully just the odd scratch and dink but we are pragmatists why claim when the damage wont be seen?), and he did manage to increase our cover over a storage period (for free!!!) with Insurers after a couple of phone calls from this end. Recommended.