Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mapua - does anyone know??

Mapua - does anyone know??

Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Mapua - does anyone know??

Hi all

Am currently looking into the Nelson / Marlborough area and so far it is looking very appealing. Have seen a few posts about Mapua which all sounds like the sort of area we would be suited to ...... but doing a web google trawl, it is described as once being the most contaminated site in NZ due to pesticide residue I assume this was quite some time ago ???? please please somebody reassure me !!!!!

I am aware that Mapua has a primary but would I be right in thinking it would be a trip into Nelson (Boys College)for a High School ?????

All info much welcome
Thank you xx
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mapua - does anyone know??

I expect Bevs has an angle on this ..
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yotty
I expect Bevs has an angle on this ..
Yes, BEVS lives in Mapua.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We have a green glow about us at night.

Yes. It's true , Mapua did have the most contaminated site in New Zealand down by its wharf. For the most part that clean up is finished . There is still some concerns as to the quality of that clean up but this wouldn't affect someone coming to live in and around the village unless you were to buy near to the site. We've been in the village for around 5 years now with just the usual signs of ageing & no ill effects.

In the last couple of years we have seen a huge upswing in migrants settling in and around this area.

There is the local primary school as you state. After that kids go by school bus to whichever high school/college they have chosen. That could be Motueka , Waimea, Nelson College . Whichever the parents have chosen.

With Nelson College it is possible to pay to send the kids to the prep school there for two years prior to entry to the college. Expat friends of mine have just looked around the prep school and were not impressed. A couple of other expat couples did chose to pay to have their kids at the prep school and so to leave Mapua school early.
Whether they did this to ensure a place for their child at the Nelson college I am not sure. If you choose Nelson college , then you maybe need to talk to them about placing the child on the list for this school.
Another expat couple we know are perfectly happy for their son to remain at Mapua School and then for him to attend Motueka School . They say it fits him better

It's the norm for kids to school bus into school. Many live outside of the suburban areas . As per Wakefield, Brightwater, Mapua, Moutere, Atawhai, Riwaka etc.

Out of school activities and sports will probably require you to be a taxi over to Richmond - 20 mins or so up the road , or Motueka - 20 mins the other way.

What else can I tell you?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:59 pm
`

Here is a link to the Mapua Coastal Newsletter. It comes out once a month. You will be able to read the current and previous issues. It will cover all sorts about our village.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Bevs ... you could tell loulou thats it's probably one of the nicest places to live on the SI ..
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:07 pm
`

That would be attracting even more folk to this wee place Yotts. What I should be saying is that this is the village of the damned.

Oh ! OK then.

It's probably one of the nicest places to live on the SI.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Thanks Bevs for the insight, I do feel more reassured that there is no need to panic and no strange green glow rising from the Southern Hemisphere due to toxic waste !!!!

I have been checking out the Mapua School and also Nelson College which both look very good and take your point Bevs about maybe having to waitlist for the Boys College....... will enquire.

Next thing i need to do is see if they need midwives in Nelson because that will be the deciding factor . . . initial internet search had no results so I plan to contact hospital direct

I may be along again soon Bevs with more questions, how, what, why etc. Hope you don't mind

Thanks again

Lou x
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:08 pm
`

Motueka also has a hospital. Not just Nelson.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:57 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

My nieces attend the Mapua school, and I had the pleasure of attending their assembly a month or so ago. Seemed like a very nice school, which was exactly what I expected based on the great community feel that Mapua has.