Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Maori and handouts ?

Maori and handouts ?

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Maori and handouts ?

Now some one posted this comment
(I think you will find that most PI and Maori families who are sending a good portion of their money back home and going without themselves have discovered all the handouts that they have access to.)

Now it seems someone is making a suggestion
that Maori are getting handouts on a regular basis
that others are not entitled to.
Including of course those who have PR.

So could you name these special Maori only
handouts ?

I am amused to see that my rellies in the Whanau
I head should be sending me thick wads, sadly
I have yet to see any of that cash.
Could one of the experts on the board give me
an idea of what amount of koha they should be
handing over on a weekly basis ?

Oh, those Maori scholarships, I help fund one
of the private scholarships, should they be open
to all, or just my Hapu ?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maori and handouts ?

Originally Posted by tehori View Post
Now some one posted this comment
(I think you will find that most PI and Maori families who are sending a good portion of their money back home and going without themselves have discovered all the handouts that they have access to.)

Now it seems someone is making a suggestion
that Maori are getting handouts on a regular basis
that others are not entitled to.
Including of course those who have PR.

So could you name these special Maori only
handouts ?

I am amused to see that my rellies in the Whanau
I head should be sending me thick wads, sadly
I have yet to see any of that cash.
Could one of the experts on the board give me
an idea of what amount of koha they should be
handing over on a weekly basis ?

Oh, those Maori scholarships, I help fund one
of the private scholarships, should they be open
to all, or just my Hapu ?

I posted it and I own it buckoo
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest the Op replied first so that there would be no misunderstanding of what was meant.
Thankfully, you bet me to it
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

How about the $400M forestry settlement that is in the pipelines just now? Or the "cultural consultancy" fees you're "invited" to pay as part of resource consent to see if there are any taniwha lurking where you might want to build something? Or the fees we'd all have to pay one day to go for a swim off the beach if Aunty Helen hadn't had the good sense to pass the Foreshore and Seabed Bill?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:19 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Does any of this have anything to do with BRITISH expats. Honestly, just had a dose of you guys bickering at work and now home to this....

I know, I know I dont have to read so I wont.....seeya!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi View Post
How about the $400M forestry settlement that is in the pipelines just now? Or the "cultural consultancy" fees you're "invited" to pay as part of resource consent to see if there are any taniwha lurking where you might want to build something? Or the fees we'd all have to pay one day to go for a swim off the beach if Aunty Helen hadn't had the good sense to pass the Foreshore and Seabed Bill?
The Taniwha is as silly as the damn snails they forced a company to move.
And that was te pakeha complaining about the
snails rights.
The settlements, no problem with those being
stopped either.
The Foreshore, interesting that, pakeha high
country leaseholders say that contracts dating
from the 1840s, should be honoured.
Should they ?

The Taranaki farmers squatting on Maori freehold
land, should they be thrown off with no compensation ?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:37 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi View Post
Don't feed it you'll only make it worse.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
Don't feed it you'll only make it worse.
Good advice, I'm out of this thread
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Tehori strikes again !
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:55 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?

I'm struggling a little to understand why you think he's a troll? Hes raised some interesting points
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:12 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

TH,

I wouldn't get too offended by the original statement, it could be read many ways and the OP has declined to clarify. On one level it would be dumb if underprivileged parts of the population did not seek out and accept any help that they can. And given Maori and PI are over-represented in the so-called underclasses then it follows they should get all the assistance they are entitled to.

Now, whether the OP was inferring sometime more than that is probably irrelevant. Although I have no doubts on your ability to forcefully debate the merits of entitlement to welfare or settlement, I'm not sure it serves any great purpose.

You will have noticed most of the replies are from fellow NZ borns, and my experience is that UK expats will have the sense to sit this one out. Its no great secret that large parts of the NZ population (I would suggest its a significant minority) are against the Waitangi Treaty claims process, and I'm sure you know that. I thinks people's minds are made up either way, and you won't be changing anyone's views no matter how good your arguments.

Thats my opinion....
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:16 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Eh?

I'm struggling a little to understand why you think he's a troll? Hes raised some interesting points
It crossed my mind he might be Pita Sharples or some other politician in disguise, such was the style of his posts (and the pointedness of his username). But on reflection I think any one who has spent some time on a Marae will have very good debating skills, probably in both languages too.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Without adding fuel to the embers here, could someone explain to me what actually happens with the money paid out in these settlements??

Is it kept in trust? Paid out within the marae to those that need it most? Or used to maintain the area??
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:01 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by kev&sarah View Post
Without adding fuel to the embers here, could someone explain to me what actually happens with the money paid out in these settlements??

Is it kept in trust? Paid out within the marae to those that need it most? Or used to maintain the area??

Assets are held through trusts and/or holding companies. Usually its only income from the assets that are distributed, and usually on educational and other social/cultural programmes. For example, Ngai Tahu have set up a pension type fund for each of its members, and has fairly widespread educational grants available.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner View Post
It crossed my mind he might be Pita Sharples or some other politician in disguise, such was the style of his posts (and the pointedness of his username). But on reflection I think any one who has spent some time on a Marae will have very good debating skills, probably in both languages too.
Pita Sharples, nope , any political party that wanted
me as a politician I would not want to join.

The sad thing is that people make statements then
seem to lack the ability to use any logic when they
are asked why they came to that understanding.
Yes I am speaking of the NZ born here, now it
would not surprise me if they spent time at a
university, sadly history seems to be a weak point
with a lot of so called NZ educated.

A couple of facts, on a per capita basis Maori will
get $3000 from the settlements.
But, pakeha squatting on Maori freehold land will
be paid out market value for that land.

So I have no problem with the idea of no settlements
at all.
The farmers can just take their fences, houses etc
and leave.

The Foreshore, easy, do you believe in property
rights for all ?
Should all contracts be upheld ?
Or should we only uphold some ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.