British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Maori discrimination? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/maori-discrimination-404513/)

Am Loolah Oct 27th 2006 12:53 am

Maori discrimination?

As some of you have gleaned already. My hubby's a Kiwi and that's how we intend to emigrate - we have no skills on the shortage list!
My hubby is half Maori, our 4 kids are a quarter Maori.
Keep reading threads/posts about how ex-pats don't integrate, the Mongrel Mob, .etc I'm worried how we will fit in ... if at all? I'm not worried for me or the Hubster - we've only ever had each other for the last 19yrs, but we want the kids to integrate and settle. Are they going to be dis-placed?

soulflour Oct 27th 2006 1:00 am

Re: Maori discrimination?

Gosh what a difficult question!

I can tell you my personal experience, if you like?

We live in the Northland, in Bream Bay, and have a mix of pakeha and maori friends (and quite a few with a parent of each!). My dp teaches at a school that is about 50/50 pakeha and maori, and is learning te reo (sp?!) in order to teach more native music (he's HOD music).

Most people that we know are integrated and happily so, however I'd be lying if I told you that I don't occasionally hear casual racism from pakeha kiwis that I know, and indeed from maori that I know too!

That's a snapshot of my experience as a pakeha who's only been here for a year and a bit!

however, my dp has had a lot of training, and now leads what they call 'conferences' here for the pupils (which is a system of discipline behaviour based on family/community groups and comes from the maori community) and could get you some email addresses/websites of some groups if that would help? i'll ask him when he gets in.

Good luck.

SF

shazzafromnz Oct 27th 2006 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
As some of you have gleaned already. My hubby's a Kiwi and that's how we intend to emigrate - we have no skills on the shortage list!
My hubby is half Maori, our 4 kids are a quarter Maori.
Keep reading threads/posts about how ex-pats don't integrate, the Mongrel Mob, .etc I'm worried how we will fit in ... if at all? I'm not worried for me or the Hubster - we've only ever had each other for the last 19yrs, but we want the kids to integrate and settle. Are they going to be dis-placed?

To be honest I think you would all be fine.if your children are sensible and motivated individuals.
.Your kids will different in a cool way cos of their english accents and things they have learnt from living in the UK but also they will probably find their identity in the positive side of being 1/4 moari (as there is so much here culturally to support pride in being part moari..)If that is the case they willl not be caught up in the destructive side.
Most of the discrimination toward moari is toward those who are not being productive members of society..but are caught in a downward spiral of poverty,lack of education,lack of motivation and personal pride and lack of hope .
Im a NZer, was born in the Uk lived there for a year in 1984-85, live in Whangarei.

Liz & Co Oct 27th 2006 6:16 am

I arrived in NZ with our 3 boys at the end of September (hubby and daughter still in UK untill Christmas). We have been in Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty for the last two weeks. The children are at school and life is feeling very rosy. Our eldest son, 14, has already been on a sleepover, to a Maori family, and had a fantastic time - the family have made us very welcome into their lives. My younger sons (13 and 10) have made many friends at school. Both the expat children and parents, the NZ children and parents and the Maori children and parents have been fantastic. The Maori lifestlye is different to ours but that's why we are here, to show the kids that there is more to life than Levi jeans and Nike trainers!!