Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:22 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maori Culture and Taboos

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The aquaduct ... ?
The Roads ?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

CENTRAL HEATING!!!!!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for Taniwha but they do seem to disappear when large amounts of $$$$$$ come into play
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:07 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. But apart from

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The aquaduct ... ?
Originally Posted by love30stm
The Roads ?
and the

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
CENTRAL HEATING!!!!!!
What have the romans ever done for us?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:26 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phyns
Every person in NZ is a migrant weather it be the Maori who arrived 900 years ago, my family who arrived in 1842 or somebody arriving tomorrow. We all have one thing in common. We are all guardians of NZ and it is everybody's job to continue to make it a great place.
Good point we're all custodians of the land and must make sure that there's something for future generations to enjoy. Bearing in mind that its the Crown who owns it all anyway. In which case perhaps Charles should come over and start off the Sherford concept in New Zealand, god knows we need some inspiration. Carbon neutral in New Zealand, where?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:26 am

Ok ... back in the day when I was a boy growing up in a small Waikato town with a high Maori population, none of this was an issue. There's a naff cliche that some people use to show they are not a little teensy bit racist. 'Many of my best friends are Maori.' Except in my case it was true.

I'm pretty sure my Maori mates were just as ignorant as I was. We never discussed any of that stuff. The first I knew of anything different was when Eva Rickard claimed the Raglan golf course back and they had a march when I was about 14. It was taken off them during the 2nd world war to use as an airstrip and simply never given back. But eventually it went to court and they got it. Still, I don't remember me or my mates discussing it between us. We were too busy with real life, studying and having fun.

And for me today, it's pretty much the same. Be aware of it, but don't stress over it. The average person (Maori included) could not care less. Much of it is just common sense. I would actually turn my nose up if someone sat on a table anyway, and I generally take my shoes off when going into peoples houses also. That would be my advice, for what it's worth.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
The average person (Maori included) could not care less.
Am waiting here as certainly some certainly do care less.

I would actually turn my nose up if someone sat on a table anyway, and I generally take my shoes off when going into peoples houses also.
What do you do with bare feet that have trod in all sorts?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Am waiting here as certainly some certainly do care less.

What do you do with bare feet that have trod in all sorts?
Bevs, I have Maori relatives as well, and I promise you, they couldn't care less. They are not terribly imbeded in Maori culture generally though, I grant you that. You're going to have to be aware of it in some situations though. But just don't expect all Maori you encounter to be watching you to make sure you don't pass food over their head.

I wear shoes in my own house It's just when I'm visiting someone else's I generally take my shoes off at the door and wear socks, unless the owner says something like ... don't worry about the shoes.
Do Brits not do that? Certainly not a big deal though. When I think about it, certainly not everyone does that.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Aug 16th 2012 at 9:44 am.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:59 am
`

Mate. Our best UK friend is 1/4 Maori - no bits and bobs of a gene pool. He couldn't give a monkey's arse ,on a table, over his head or not.
There again , we got lectured on a Christmas day by some young girl for reasons only she felt the need & who had very little actual Maori in her. It was just her bandwagon , her study outlet & which got my goat TBH as she seemed to have less total awareness than we had.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Mate. Our best UK friend is 1/4 Maori - no bits and bobs of a gene pool. He couldn't give a monkey's arse ,on a table, over his head or not.
There again , we got lectured on a Christmas day by some young girl for reasons only she felt the need & who had very little actual Maori in her. It was just her bandwagon , her study outlet & which got my goat TBH as she seemed to have less total awareness than we had.
Exactly Bevs. Cultural theory and reality often don't coincide.
I actually had a thought while I was in the shower just now. I wondered whether my aversion to sitting on tables and my penchant for taking shoes off has rubbed off onto me from Maori culture without me being aware ... mmmm.
PS. If you're going to dinner at Margaret Mutu's house (if she'll let you in) be very very careful ....
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly Bevs. Cultural theory and reality often don't coincide.
I actually had a thought while I was in the shower just now. I wondered whether my aversion to sitting on tables and my penchant for taking shoes off has rubbed off onto me from Maori culture without me being aware ... mmmm.
PS. If you're going to dinner at Margaret Mutu's house (if she'll let you in) be very very careful ....
Blimey, that woman scares me. I suspect she scares a few Maori as well.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:26 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Time to add a bit of perspective to this .

It's common here in Australia to remove shoes when entering a house and I've done the same in Britain too (where most hallways are carpeted) Not passing things over someone's head is common sense (unless they're wearing a hard hat) and basic good etiquette at the table.

The reason for not sitting on a table is obvious. As for not touching a head without permission well that's not unique to New Zealand either is it? countries like Thailand also do the same.

Bad manners is bad manners no matter where you go and to willfully offend someone by abandoning your social graces rightfully earns you a black mark in anyone's book. However, for someone to belittle you for genuine ignorance is bad manners on their part, IMO that's every bit as bad as the original act of offence. A good host will always make their guest feel welcome.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:32 pm
Banned

I have Maori relatives as well, and I promise you, they couldn't care less.
That may be just because your relatives are bogans and bereft of social graces.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:19 am
`

I actually had a thought while I was in the shower just now.
Oo . The mental imagery.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:34 am
Account Closed

I think the Japanese have got it right, take your shoes off before going into the house but provide people with a pair of slippers (not pink, fluffy things but the sort that are lightweight & can be washed) to wear.

I hate seeing people go round the supermarket with bare feet. Also children on escalaters with bare feet

I have sat on tables, used to do it all the time at school. But they would be wiped down before we put food on them. I would never sit on a proper wooden dining table though.

How does everyone feel about dancing on tables????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.