Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Maori Culture and Taboos

Maori Culture and Taboos

Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maori Culture and Taboos

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
How does everyone feel about dancing on tables????
My Wife's an expert

Bistro Live anyone
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_37634JXcbU...RO+NYE+020.jpg
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Time to add a bit of perspective to this .

It's common here in Australia to remove shoes when entering a house and I've done the same in Britain too (where most hallways are carpeted) Not passing things over someone's head is common sense (unless they're wearing a hard hat) and basic good etiquette at the table.

The reason for not sitting on a table is obvious. As for not touching a head without permission well that's not unique to New Zealand either is it? countries like Thailand also do the same.

Bad manners is bad manners no matter where you go and to willfully offend someone by abandoning your social graces rightfully earns you a black mark in anyone's book. However, for someone to belittle you for genuine ignorance is bad manners on their part, IMO that's every bit as bad as the original act of offence. A good host will always make their guest feel welcome.
I think that this is the main point. Most of this is good manners for the majority of people. and I know that I don't really like my head being touched by random people! would be a bit odd!

The whole culture thing goes much wider though in how maoris approach life in general. We have a 2 day Maori awareness course that all staff have to attend which covers not only things like the Treaty of Waitangi, but also the Maori approach to life. You may have to consider different things and a different way of approaching things with a Maori patient to a typical kiwi patient.

One example is trying to explain to them that there should only be 2 visitors at a time instead of 10. (yes that does happen)
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

How does everyone feel about dancing on tables????
All good, as long as you have removed your shoes first. In my opinion!!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:53 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

I have seen certain Maori sitting with their arses planted firmly on tables when its suits them. It is only when a Maori elder protests that they move and if a Pākehā ( or white pig as some believe is the translation for Pākehā ) should dare suggest that their sitting on a table is somehow culturally insensitive then that particular Pākehā is given a look and a few well chosen comments that would make them consider buying a one way ticket back to Heathrow.
I have also seen a Maori piss in a cup and then pour the contents directly in his eye. When I looked at him like he should be in a straight jacket he explained to me that Maori have been doing it for hundreds of years to remove eye infections.
A week later I saw the same guy with a small brown bag that probably contained some antibiotics because his eyes looked in a right old state.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
I have also seen a Maori piss in a cup and then pour the contents directly in his eye.
Sounds like standard Rugby Tour behaviour to me.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:30 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Spotted this on the TVNZ website.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/play...-maori-5045280
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If Maori believe that kids making macaroni necklaces and potato prints and playdough is "culturally insensitive", or "bad tikanga" then fine they don't have to have anything to do with it.... But why should everyone elses kids have to suffer?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pushkinias
Im preparing for interviews at the moment and am enjoying reading about Maori culture. I still feel very ignorant about the do's and don'ts of what is polite or offensive to people from the Maori culture.

I'm aware that it's considered offensive to sit on a table (tapu/noa) and that one shouldn't pass food over someone's head. I've heard that its not on to touch a woman's hair and also that you shouldn't walk over a vegetable patch when you have a period (sorry !).

Any others that you have come across?

I'm paranoid I'll say something awful!
also read if you get time, 'Song of Waitaha: history of a nation' and 'Whispers of Waitaha' by Kaumatua & Kuia
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pushkinias
...also that you shouldn't walk over a vegetable patch when you have a period...
Come on, if you think its OK to walk over someone else's veg patch under any circumstances then you are going to have a problem. You will have bigger day-to-day issues to deal with than some of these more obscure "rules".