Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Maori call for migrant cutback

Wikiposts

Maori call for migrant cutback

Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:36 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maori call for migrant cutback

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3973886a10.html

I can't believe this is serious!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:47 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maori call for migrant cutback

Originally Posted by RobClubley
http://www.stuff.co.nz/3973886a10.html

I can't believe this is serious!

I don't see how NZ would stand a chance on the international front if it were to implement selection by the colour of someones skin.

Not only that, as the article says, there is a massive skills shortage within NZ which is never going to be filled without immigrants, unless they are going to prohibit NZers from leaving for their "OE". Could you imagine the uproar if that was to happen
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:05 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

"What we are talking about is the number of people coming into this country and what that means for Maori political representation," Mrs Turia said.

Hmmmm....It's a shame they did not get another seat in parliment, but this kind of smacks of sour grapes.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
"What we are talking about is the number of people coming into this country and what that means for Maori political representation," Mrs Turia said.

Hmmmm....It's a shame they did not get another seat in parliment, but this kind of smacks of sour grapes.
Maori could of had another seat if enough Maori had registered. The thing is not all Maori share the same views as the Maori party. A lot of Maori I know are only too happy to live side by side with pakiha.

Rob
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Maori could of had another seat if enough Maori had registered. The thing is not all Maori share the same views as the Maori party. A lot of Maori I know are only too happy to live side by side with pakiha.

Rob
They are not necessarily mutually exclusive - living side by side with pakeha and having a specific political voice. The Maori party does not believe in a separatist state so far as I am aware, in fact it only came into existence because of a specific issue - the Foreshore and Seabed legislation.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I don't see how NZ would stand a chance on the international front if it were to implement selection by the colour of someones skin.
To some extent NZ is already targetting particular source countries, if not explicitly ethnicity. A lot more resources are put into recruiting from Europe and North America than in other countries, and going forward IT recruitment will be targetted towards Asia (mainly India I presume).

Turia is normally a fairly accomplished politician, which makes her reported comments quite surprising.

Its one thing to observe that the natural "browning" of NZ will be lessened by the current immigration trends. Its another thing altogether to infer the immigration policy is maybe deliberately slanted towards counter balancing the natural growth rates in population.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
They are not necessarily mutually exclusive - living side by side with pakeha and having a specific political voice. The Maori party does not believe in a separatist state so far as I am aware, in fact it only came into existence because of a specific issue - the Foreshore and Seabed legislation.
Doesn't Pakeha mean 'white pig' ?

There's an article about this in the Telegraph today, what it does mean they're not playing the race card because they're not talking about Asians? Isn't this a contradiction? At least Helen Clarke hasn't agreed with this view or else it could be very worrying for us expats wanting to migrate
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Doesn't Pakeha mean 'white pig' ?

There's an article about this in the Telegraph today, what it does mean they're not playing the race card because they're not talking about Asians? Isn't this a contradiction? At least Helen Clarke hasn't agreed with this view or else it could be very worrying for us expats wanting to migrate
It is just politics, not something to get your knickers in a knot about.

Pakeha generally means anyone that is not Maori, you can decide whether or not to be offended by it, but IMHO it is simply not worth the stress. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakeha.

You have to remember that the Maori Party is a small party in a system of proportional representation. While they came to Parliament largely on a single issue, they have to find ways of making news and being in the spotlight as it is only a year and a half until the next election and they have to remain "relevant" in order to get voted back in. The Greens are in the same boat, although in a stronger position, so you will see strange things said by the Greens in order to get the debate going.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:00 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
It is just politics, not something to get your knickers in a knot about.

Pakeha generally means anyone that is not Maori, you can decide whether or not to be offended by it, but IMHO it is simply not worth the stress. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakeha.

You have to remember that the Maori Party is a small party in a system of proportional representation. While they came to Parliament largely on a single issue, they have to find ways of making news and being in the spotlight as it is only a year and a half until the next election and they have to remain "relevant" in order to get voted back in. The Greens are in the same boat, although in a stronger position, so you will see strange things said by the Greens in order to get the debate going.
Trust me my little fruit, my knickers are well and truly unknotted. Just thought I'd add my two cents/pence* (delete as applicable) in having read about it today. I was just curious about the pakeha thing, I think I read it in the Lonely Planet or something like that. I love the way in NZ politics, people just say what they're thinking, taking old Winston Peters for instance. Always makes me chuckle. Spin Doctors definetly don't exist in NZ!!