Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Tauranga?
Have looked for work all over. Including BOP, Hamilton, Palmy North and the Wellington region.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
It's all to do with the value of the house we are moving from.
Because the house is in South Wales (as opposed to South-East England) the best we could probably hope to sell it for is 320,000 nz dollars (at current exchange rates). We would need to raise a mortgage to buy property in Auckland (mortgage free in UK) and want to minimise this as much as we can.

Yes...AKL is Expensive!
I saw this thread a week or so ago and I have resisted commenting until now.

I moved from Auckland back to South Wales August time in 2014. I'll tell you honestly now that for $320,000 you will be lucky to get a detached garage for that in Auckland. Whereas in South Wales you can get a 3 or maybe even a 4-bed house in some areas (and in some very nice areas).

Personally I find my quality of life here far better than what I had in Auckland. There are a lot more job opportunities and in general I find Wales a lot more relaxed than living in Auckland. Traffic is also lot less than what I experienced in Auckland and there are many beautiful areas in Wales to visit that are all within a 45min-2 hour drive.

To leave somewhere like South Wales to go and live in Mangere (which is one of the places in Auckland I would avoid) - honestly I just don't get it.

Sorry if I come across and direct as rude, but I have been there, done it, come back and can see the many benefits of being back. Unless Winston Peters can win a majority in NZ and end this tide of greed by National-leaning home-owners and put ordinary Kiwi's and people first, I am not sure I could go back to NZ.

On a positive note, after 2 years of trying to buy a house in Auckland to no avail (mainly due to being priced out of market on an-going basis) we have today finally exchanged contracts on our first house here in Wales. A 4-bed detached house in a pretty market town at a price that would have bought me a 2-bed apartment (at most) in Auckland.

Last edited by davros1984; Apr 1st 2015 at 7:50 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984

I moved from Auckland back to South Wales August time in 2014. I'll tell you honestly now that for $320,000 you will be lucky to get a detached garage for that in Auckland. Whereas in South Wales you can get a 3 or maybe even a 4-bed house in some areas (and in some very nice areas).

Personally I find my quality of life here far better than what I had in Auckland. There are a lot more job opportunities and in general I find Wales a lot more relaxed than living in Auckland. Traffic is also lot less than what I experienced in Auckland and there are many beautiful areas in Wales to visit that are all within a 45min-2 hour drive.

To leave somewhere like South Wales to go and live in Mangere (which is one of the places in Auckland I would avoid) - honestly I just don't get it.

Sorry if I come across and direct as rude, but I have been there, done it, come back and can see the many benefits of being back. Unless Winston Peters can win a majority in NZ and end this tide of greed by National-leaning home-owners and put ordinary Kiwi's and people first, I am not sure I could go back to NZ.

On a positive note, after 2 years of trying to buy a house in Auckland to no avail (mainly due to being priced out of market on an-going basis) we have today finally exchanged contracts on our first house here in Wales. A 4-bed detached house in a pretty market town at a price that would have bought me a 2-bed apartment (at most) in Auckland.
His campaign has started, he won Northland recently which was viewed as a safe National seat.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984

Definitely the right decision and you don't have to move to the other side of the world to have a great lifestyle. I always say it, but so many people move to New Zealand for the outdoor life and end up in Auckland. You have so many opportunities in the UK/Ireland, but it's just what you make out of it. I was just on Street Maps and took a capture from Llangollen (great place).
Attached Thumbnails Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?-walescapture.jpg  
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with some of that. Why move to NZ just to be in Auckland? Llangollen and bits of wales are just what the average Joe moving to NZ would be looking for/expecting to find. Ditto for lots of other areas in UK away from major cities.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Marzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Crikey. Auckland has plenty of outdoor lifestyle. Golfing, swimming, fishing, boating, sailing, bush walks. You name it. And a couple of hours of so drive to the north Whangarei. Bream Bay. What can I say.

Comparing 'bit's of Wales similarity or bits of anywhere elsewhere in Britain's to some aspects of New Zealand's topography is a bit laughable IMO as a valid reason for putting folks off emigrating to Auckland or NZ in general.

So much more is completely different between the two country's which affects each ones lifestyle. Climate, attitudes, the mixture of ethnicities and cultures, 4.5 million population here compared to 66 million in UK in approximately the same size land mass. Some immigrants to NZ love that part of it, others hate it and miss the crowds and the hustle and bustle. You can't have it both ways. But it's an important consideration for anyone looking to emigrate here.

Auckland as the biggest city in NZ is more expensive to buy property, just as major cities elsewhere I guess. That's life. But, there is life south of the Bombay Hills kiwi's will tell you, so don't despair.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, in NZ there is a capital gains tax and it applies even if it is your family home. I think it was Section 57 or 67.

If you purchased the property with intent of selling at a gain or if the property increases in value due to council rezoning etc.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
no it was decided back in Dec 2013 they just hadn't done the fine print ie would it be at the higher or lower rate of tax, it comes into force on the 6th April from what I have read.

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/in...ffect-you.html

if it was your main home and not rented then you won't but if you are renting it out looks like you will

"Capital Gains Tax
You don’t pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) your home if all of the following apply:

you’ve lived in it as your main home for all the time you’ve owned it
you haven’t let part of it out or used part of it for business only
the grounds, including the buildings, are smaller than 5,000 square metres (just over an acre)
This is because you automatically get a tax relief called Private Residence Relief. You don’t need to do anything.

If you don’t meet all these criteria you may have to pay some Capital Gains Tax."

https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/tax