Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?

I seriously wonder what anyone from the UK has to gain by moving to Mangere, unless your living in an absolute hell hole in an area surrounded by scumbags, wannabe gangsters, unemployed and inner city council houses - then Mangere would be a serious shock to the system. What does Mangere offer than can't be achieved in the UK.

Auckland certainly is not the be all and end all, so why would anyone compromise their standards to that level, Mangere really?? It's complete and utter madness to be that sucked in, to the extent that you would give up a reasonably comfortable life to live there. Seriously you need to rethink this thing or just stop and move on, look elsewhere if Mangere is the best you can come up with.

You've been here Stephen what areas did you look at - did you see any suburbs you liked or did not like? Buy an apartment in Albany or the CBD or anywhere other than bloody Mangers.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I know quite a few people from Mangere and the surrounding areas.

Most have the MMM tattooed on their backs along with a big Bulldog.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I seriously wonder what anyone from the UK has to gain by moving to Mangere, unless your living in an absolute hell hole in an area surrounded by scumbags, wannabe gangsters, unemployed and inner city council houses - then Mangere would be a serious shock to the system. What does Mangere offer than can't be achieved in the UK.

Auckland certainly is not the be all and end all, so why would anyone compromise their standards to that level, Mangere really?? It's complete and utter madness to be that sucked in, to the extent that you would give up a reasonably comfortable life to live there. Seriously you need to rethink this thing or just stop and move on, look elsewhere if Mangere is the best you can come up with.

You've been here Stephen what areas did you look at - did you see any suburbs you liked or did not like? Buy an apartment in Albany or the CBD or anywhere other than bloody Mangers.
To join in the spirit of frankness, I would say I agree with you Bo, except I would substitute just about any place in New Zealand for "Mangere", if I factor in all aspects of living the good life. Just my opinion and why we've had one foot out the door for a long time.

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from moving to South Auckland, if they feel they just HAVE to make a go of a life in NZ. I'm sure one of the draws is the famous Kiwi egalitarianism, where it doesn't matter where you live or what you own Really, it's not as awful as everyone seems to think, and you can always move if you don't like it. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy a house without renting and having a look around first. There are parts of Mangere that aren't nice, there are parts that are a bit better. Like I said, it's actually a huge suburb. I don't live in Mangere but I've don't mind my corner of South Auckland, certainly I enjoy my large house on a quarter acre. We have citrus and other fruit trees, a very private set up on a quiet street near all major transport links. We live only 12 minutes from Sylvia Park, 10 minutes to the Manukau shops, and less than half an hour's drive to town. I don't walk around at night, so can't speak about feeling safe in the area at those times. During the day all I see are families and children, and the occasional hoon drives by. I can say with authority that many more expensive places are less nice than where I live, including much of Mt. Wellington for example.

A few weeks ago I had a doctor's appointment on Mountain Road in Epsom. I took the train and walked from there. The residential road I passed through had several rotten looking houses, in fact I don't think a single house was in particularly good condition. They all looked like they'd have a pong from the damp that was no doubt lurking inside. My doctor's office was in a grand old home, and it did indeed have that insidious smell of damp, so much so that I couldn't wait to leave. By New Zealand standards it was a completely acceptable "modernised" house. In fact it would be considered upscale and fancy and renovated to a high standard. Epsom is of course a very expensive suburb.

My dentist is also in a pricey central suburb. The practice is run out of an old, but fancy renovated bungalow. It looks flash from the outside with it's new coat of paint. The last time I was there was in the middle of winter. I was so cold in the waiting room I was beginning to go numb. The smallish heat pump didn't help much in such a drafty room with poor insulation and single glazed windows. I took a photo (see below) to show my husband later. The condensation on the windows is on the inside of course, although they obviously wipe down the windows every day as they don't look as mouldy as they could. Wiping down condensation is a daily chore for most tidy Auckland homeowners, I'm sure.

These are good examples, I think, of the quality of homes you'll find in Auckland, regardless of suburb. I think you're just as likely to live in a uncomfortable, unhealthy home in expensive suburbs as you would in be South Auckland. No matter where you choose to live, you'll likely have to add a huge renovation budget to an already overpriced home, unless you really want to go native and just harden up.
Attached Thumbnails Mangere in Auckland - what's it like living there?-window.jpg  

Last edited by The Weezer; Mar 23rd 2015 at 10:24 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I do know exactly what you mean Weezer, the housing stock is pretty standard around the country and a lot of the wealthier looking places are often 'all fur coat and no knickers' all for show, looking palatial and swanky or very cute and twee on the outside but the inside décor is dire, the basic mod cons are not there, with damp on the walls and owners scrimping and scraping for specials and beans on toast for dinner - but never mind all that we're living the Kiwi dream and at least we've got a massive BBQ and a boat parked on the drive.

I always think it's pretty telling around inorganic rubbish collection time, when you see the mouldy old 70s furniture and shite that comes out of some of the seemingly upmarket gaffs.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Phlegm Jar is an unknown quantity at this point

I've a bit of experience living in Mangere, and I'd strongly recommend against anyone setting up there if they can help it. It might be cheap (Auckland-wise) but the quality of life you'll experience there is very sub-standard against Kiwi norms. Shops, schools, health facilities, amenities, neighbours, job prospects etc, all sub-par. Add in the personal safety factor, and it becomes a no-brainer.

In real estate terms they say it's all 'Location, Location, Location'. That's bollocks. It's 'People, People, People'. Take all the folks out of Remuera and put them in Mangere, and take all the folks out of Mangere and put them in Remuera. Pretty soon, Mangere will be the sought-after area.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phlegm Jar
I've a bit of experience living in Mangere, and I'd strongly recommend against anyone setting up there if they can help it. It might be cheap (Auckland-wise) but the quality of life you'll experience there is very sub-standard against Kiwi norms. Shops, schools, health facilities, amenities, neighbours, job prospects etc, all sub-par. Add in the personal safety factor, and it becomes a no-brainer.
Let's see - health facilities in Mangere - Middlemore Hospital and its clinics. Sub par? Then you think medical care in New Zealand is sub par.

Job prospects? How many people work a few blocks from home. I don't think many people would look to live in an outlying suburb and expect to find work right at their door step. In any event, Mangere does provide substantial employment by way of the Airport, customs services, transport, courier and warehouse companies, etc., and the extensive hospitality industry nearby. Also count in the huge Middlemore complex, and I think you'll find that Mangere actually has quite a lot of job opportunity.

Shops - well, there's KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Carl Jr's, Subway, St. Pierre's Sushi for food, so there's all the traditional Kiwi food covered, at the same price and quality as you'll find anywhere else. There's a large Warehouse, Countdown and cafes and pubs near the airport. A large Pak n Save, etc. So far as that goes it's pretty much the same as many other places. Grubby dairies? You can find those all over Auckland.

Personal safety? I think you'll find you're no more likely to get assaulted in Mangere as you would be in Auckland central. Since I've lived in New Zealand I've heard about some violent crime, and it's not concentrated in Mangere and it's environs. West Auckland gets it's fair share as do parts of the North Shore.

If you live in Mangere, you can "escape" you realize. You go to work, go home in the evening, and on the weekends and holidays, you're free to go anywhere in Auckland, or New Zealand, or the world, if you please.

Your quality of life in your own home is what you make it. As I pointed out previously, you're no more likely to live comfortably to a modern standard in a wealthy suburb than in Mangere. There are several new developments there, and I have no doubt that living in one of those new houses would not be in any way a substantial decrease in the quality of life than living in Mt. Wellington, or Mt. Roskill or many other such more expensive places.

I speak from 10 years experience of living in the general district.

Last edited by The Weezer; Mar 23rd 2015 at 7:40 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
When we were there we didn't get too far south.
We saw areas we liked in the north but prices have moved since then.

To be honest with you all, I'm thinking that my wife is right and that Auckland is far too expensive and that little exists (in terms of property) that is value for money.

S.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
have you got a job offer now then Steve?

also you are aware of the new capital gains tax that is meant to becoming into force in April this year?

Hi Mrs F.
As you know, I recently turned down a job offer as the money wasn't right.

No, I haven't had another offer but I have been looking at Auckland for other opportunities. To be quite honest after looking at property prices I am not sure that we could afford to live there on the sort of salary I would be most likely to obtain. I was looking at Mangere because someone I met from Auckland told me that prices 'in west Auckland' were more likely to be lower than closer to the CBD. Hence my looking at Mangere.

I don't think I will pursue employment in Auckland any further to be honest. I will give Welly a go and if that has drawn a blank by the end of April then it may be time to realise that NZ isn't for us after all.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Mrs F.

No, I haven't had another offer but I have been looking at Auckland for other opportunities. To be quite honest after looking at property prices I am not sure that we could afford to live there on the sort of salary I would be most likely to obtain. I was looking at Mangere because someone I met from Auckland told me that prices 'in west Auckland' were more likely to be lower than closer to the CBD. Hence my looking at Mangere.

I don't think I will pursue employment in Auckland any further to be honest. I will give Welly a go and if that has drawn a blank by the end of April then it may be time to realise that NZ isn't for us after all.
Would be really really sad given the length of time you've been trying. Don't just look at Welly, look at some other places where you could also have a stunning lifestyle i.e. Northland, Bay of Plenty, Taranaki, South Island etc.

Have you registered with New Kiwi's etc?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at Mangere because someone I met from Auckland told me that prices 'in west Auckland' were more likely to be lower than closer to the CBD. Hence my looking at Mangere.
I would move from the UK to live in West Auckland, yes. But that is just IMO. Maybe it is because I know West better than many areas (like East or South) and it would suit me just fine (I think i have some inner westy-ness).
Mangere is in South Auckland BTW.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs F.

To add my bit, we recently had a discussion and people were saying that house prices in New Zealand are far too expensive. If people only look at Auckland, then that certainly is the case. Why bother with Auckland if you want a better life? There are still plenty of affordable areas in New Zealand where you could live a simple and mortgage free life.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Marzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, agree. There are other much more affordable towns in the N.I of NZ which offer a good lifestyle for families. i.e Hamilton, Wanganui (lovely small city, great climate), New Plymouth, Palmerston North and of course Wellington and the Kapiti coast.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 3:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

However, Stephen Jones will need to go where the job offer is.

something comes up for you , somewhere.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Tauranga?
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
However, Stephen Jones will need to go where the job offer is.

something comes up for you , somewhere.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.