Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Manchester to Christchurch in May - few questions

Manchester to Christchurch in May - few questions

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:04 am
Just Joined

damosingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manchester to Christchurch in May - few questions

Hi im new to the forum and thought id join to try source some advice for my imminent move to Christchurch (mid-late May).

I have secured a job on the rebuild from an accredited employer so coming over on a talent visa (residency after 2 years if all good). I have signed the job contracts etc just waiting for visa to be sorted now so all done unless I fail a medical or what have you.

I have arranged for somewhere to stay for a month on arrival (airbnb job), so hopefully ill be able to find a flat/apartment once im in NZ.

I could do with some advice with the following though:

1) Where would be a good area to look for a flat/apartment if working bang in the centre of Chch?

2) Apart from high rents and the seemingly high cost of cars, are most other things similar to the UK with regards to cost of living? My salary is a great improvement to what it is in the UK atm however still unsure what my quality of life would be like in NZ (Salary will be 62k dollars). Bearing in mind im on my own.

3) Is it best to open a bank account prior to coming out? even if its just putting a couple of quid in to keep it open, then put more money in when in NZ?

4) Are there tax implications for bringing a certain amount of money to NZ. Like if you transfer over a certain amount do you get taxed? Unsure whether to leave some money in UK or just bring everything over.

5) Mobile phones - if i bring my iphone can I just get a NZ simcard or month to month contract and stick it in my UK phone? Save me having to buy a new handset over there?

6) Obviously NZ is a rugby/cricket nation but are there many local 'soccer' teams like sunday league etc for a bit of home comfort and making new friends etc

So many questions but these are all I can think of atm!

Appreciation in advance for any help

Cheers

Damien
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Manchester to Christchurch in May - few questions

1. City Centre - you'll easily get a one bedroom/two bedroom place there

2. I'd say just food is the big difference between here and UK especially when winter comes round. Clothing varies, pay for what you get

3. The decision is yours. All banks provide migrant services. Check out ASB, Westpac and ANZ sites to get more information. The majority have a migrant branch in London

4. Nope (although pension changes are happening soon). I've transfered all my house sale and only had to pay a $25 charge for it to be received by the bank. No such thing as free banking here

5. Once arrive, note this place koolzone. Situated in Riccarton Mall by the cinema. They'll sort your phone out so you can have a NZ sim inside it.

6. No such thing as soccer. There is a sunday football league or an indoor football league held at actionsports. Sometimes I play on Tuesday nights there in the Mens tuesday evening league. Generally good fun

----

Lastly don't worry about being on your own. With your food and rental payments being a wee bit cheaper (plus other bills), you shouldn't have any worries about quality of life. I'll not comment about Immigration New Zealand if your coming over on the Talent visa (Accredited Employer). You can look forward to the whole experience in 2 years time...

What I will say is if during the time of stay, you qualify for a skilled migrant visa - apply for it!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Hi Tom

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:44 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

There is also Saturday football for all abilities as well. Just look for a club local to where you are based.
I play for Ferrymead Bays which is based around Mount Pleasant to Sumner.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can I just say it's lovely to see the laughing mouse .
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by damosingo
Hi im new to the forum and thought id join to try source some advice for my imminent move to Christchurch (mid-late May).

I have secured a job on the rebuild from an accredited employer so coming over on a talent visa (residency after 2 years if all good). I have signed the job contracts etc just waiting for visa to be sorted now so all done unless I fail a medical or what have you.

I have arranged for somewhere to stay for a month on arrival (airbnb job), so hopefully ill be able to find a flat/apartment once im in NZ.

I could do with some advice with the following though:

2) Apart from high rents and the seemingly high cost of cars, are most other things similar to the UK with regards to cost of living? My salary is a great improvement to what it is in the UK atm however still unsure what my quality of life would be like in NZ (Salary will be 62k dollars). Bearing in mind im on my own.

see my blog, there's a cost of living comparison. I'm not chch but it will give you an idea.

3) Is it best to open a bank account prior to coming out? even if its just putting a couple of quid in to keep it open, then put more money in when in NZ?

I opened a westpac account before I left then sent a bit of cash over, getting a card from the bank on arrival was instant because they have the odd eftpos system! I have since changed banks but it was useful in the transition phase

4) Are there tax implications for bringing a certain amount of money to NZ. Like if you transfer over a certain amount do you get taxed? Unsure whether to leave some money in UK or just bring everything over.

remember exchange rates, be wise and leave it where it will gain u most

5) Mobile phones - if i bring my iphone can I just get a NZ simcard or month to month contract and stick it in my UK phone? Save me having to buy a new handset over there?

yes. Get your iPhone unlocked by your service provider before you leave the UK. Here, most ppl use pay as you go, it is way cheaper. In fact, my mobile bill is a fraction of what it was and I use the phone the same way. A Vodafone SIM card will cost u $20 with $10 top up on it. Then look at the freebies data deal for pay as you go.

6) Obviously NZ is a rugby/cricket nation but are there many local 'soccer' teams like sunday league etc for a bit of home comfort and making new friends etc

silly game (lol) football (rugby) is better! I love how the terminology itself de-ranks its importance! Yes you will find Sunday leagues, but why not start playing rugby? !

So many questions but these are all I can think of atm!

Appreciation in advance for any help

Cheers

Damien
see above for my answers

Last edited by M_and_M; Mar 26th 2014 at 8:11 am.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Hi JJG, ahh cool sounds good once im set up somewhere properly ill defo look into that thanks very much.

Hi M and M - Thanks for all the advice ill make sure to check out your blog also. Good news then regarding the banks, better than here where you have to wait about 10 working days for a card lol.

Im sport mad so wouldnt rule out rugby! plus I used to play that when I was younger, I just prefer the football (round ball lol) thats all! The only thing ill be gutted about is that live prem games will be on in the early hours in NZ! cant win them all though!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Hi JJG, ahh cool sounds good once im set up somewhere properly ill defo look into that thanks very much.

Hi M and M - Thanks for all the advice ill make sure to check out your blog also. Good news then regarding the banks, better than here where you have to wait about 10 working days for a card lol.

Im sport mad so wouldnt rule out rugby! plus I used to play that when I was younger, I just prefer the football (round ball lol) thats all! The only thing ill be gutted about is that live prem games will be on in the early hours in NZ! cant win them all though!
some pub's open up early door's and show the games if your prepared to sacrifice sleep for football, I'm going to take it on agame by game bases although the way utd's season's gone it may not be a bad thing for me to miss the games
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Premier league games aren't shown here anymore on the box

You need to register with the service provider Telecom (to get the best deal) and then sign up to a website (tiger something I think). This streams all the games, I'm unsure if it shows them at anytime of the day, perhaps someone who's signed up to it may shed light

They always show a full game Sunday midday.

Sky have packages where you can watch Man City, Spurs, Arsenal or Man Utd games and info. It's a bit like ChelseaTV. It's been a barrel of laughs watching Man Utd TV, all this about the crowd staying on etc. Must be worried that shirt sales will decline rapidly yet sales of Chelsea or Liverpool shirts increase?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Yea i would just get the sleep if I were you Alan at the moment lol.

Thats good that the clubs have their own tv channel ill probably subscribe to that if i can then

Thanks guys
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Premier league games aren't shown here anymore on the box

You need to register with the service provider Telecom (to get the best deal) and then sign up to a website (tiger something I think). This streams all the games, I'm unsure if it shows them at anytime of the day, perhaps someone who's signed up to it may shed light

They always show a full game Sunday midday.

Sky have packages where you can watch Man City, Spurs, Arsenal or Man Utd games and info. It's a bit like ChelseaTV. It's been a barrel of laughs watching Man Utd TV, all this about the crowd staying on etc. Must be worried that shirt sales will decline rapidly yet sales of Chelsea or Liverpool shirts increase?
Me & the OH had a hilarious time watching the Manchester derby on MUTV. OH couldn't believe how many ad breaks there were compared to City TV. Man U must be short of the readies

CTID
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Manchester to Christchurch in May - few questions

Nice to know there is another city fan about!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know there is another city fan about!
Quite a few of us in NZ.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Thats good then, thought its all be united and liverpool fans if im honest!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Me & the OH had a hilarious time watching the Manchester derby on MUTV. OH couldn't believe how many ad breaks there were compared to City TV. Man U must be short of the readies

CTID
It's a great programme - even better when Higginbotham and Macari at the end started blaming the board and SAF for not investing in defence as the golden age has beens are almost at the end of their careers. Even Higginbotham said to replace Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra will cost money. I'm looking forward to a defence of Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling. I might put myself forward for a right back position if Rafael becomes their number one full back. He's making Wes Brown look world class!

Oh and dam, you'll be surprised - most Kiwis here support Arsenal because they are the first team you can select on Fifa games. That made me laugh big time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.