Manchester, again

Old May 9th 2009, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

NDerby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manchester, again

I am a Kiwi returning to NZ after twenty years. I noticed many changes but the one that really bugged me was the "Manchester" sign in Department Stores. I asked people about this and was told 'Oh well, towels used to come from Manchester" as if that explained it. I am fairly sure there was no such thing as "Manchester" when I lived here twenty years ago. I wanted to find out who started the name, and when and why? Nobody knows. I logged on to the forum here and was told "Oh, Manchester. Towels came from there." And Thread Closed. Very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:20 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manchester, again

Originally Posted by NDerby
I am a Kiwi returning to NZ after twenty years. I noticed many changes but the one that really bugged me was the "Manchester" sign in Department Stores. I asked people about this and was told 'Oh well, towels used to come from Manchester" as if that explained it. I am fairly sure there was no such thing as "Manchester" when I lived here twenty years ago. I wanted to find out who started the name, and when and why? Nobody knows. I logged on to the forum here and was told "Oh, Manchester. Towels came from there." And Thread Closed. Very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.
haha I wonder also why they are called Manchester, if you find out let me know
Old May 9th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
haha I wonder also why they are called Manchester, if you find out let me know
So do I.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee
So do I.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea either but it 'bugs' me as a term. Anyway, most of the cotton mills were in Lancashire so perhaps they should call it that
Old May 9th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I have no idea either but it 'bugs' me as a term. Anyway, most of the cotton mills were in Lancashire so perhaps they should call it that
Its either because the "no 1" company that made them was Called 'Manchester'..or because of the strong links of mills up t'north.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its either because the "no 1" company that made them was Called 'Manchester'..or because of the strong links of mills up t'north.
Just googled it and apparently its the former..the company that makes them is called ' Manchester'.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just googled it and apparently its the former..the company that makes them is called ' Manchester'.
Still bugs me
Old May 9th 2009, 11:49 pm

god how b o r i n g ....
Old May 9th 2009, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Still bugs me
me too!!
Old May 10th 2009, 6:46 am
Just Joined

NDerby is an unknown quantity at this point

Genesis says: "Just googled it and apparently its the former..the company that makes them is called ' Manchester'."

Can you give a few more details, please? What - full company name?, when - are they still operating?, why - hundreds of company make towels and stuff, why them?

Can any NZ'er say when was the first time they had the term "Manchester"?

Thanks, nderby
Old May 10th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Helps a bit, but not a lot...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manchester
Old May 10th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia says

"Much of Manchester's history is concerned with textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution. The great majority of cotton spinning took place in the towns of south Lancashire and north Cheshire, and Manchester was for a time the most productive centre of cotton processing,and later the world's largest marketplace for cotton goods.

Manchester was dubbed "Cottonopolis" and "Warehouse City" during the Victorian era.

In Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the term "manchester" is used for household linen : sheets, pillow cases, towels, etc."
Old May 11th 2009, 6:13 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NDerby

Hate to break it to you but it's not a new term in the slightest. My grandmother uses it and only that. Maybe you just never noticed it before?
Old May 11th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Manchester, again

How about china or a sandwich? Or Turkish delight, Indian summer and so on? It's not just manchester that is named after a place it is associated with, even though I admit it does sound a bit funny to me...

(As a curiosity: my home town Tampere was known for its cotton mills and textile industry in the 19th and early 20th century, and it is still frequently and quite affectionately referred as Manse, after Manchester, due to M's reputation as the cotton capital of the world.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.