British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Manchester????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/manchester-655958/)

Lee Lee Feb 21st 2010 5:05 pm

Manchester?????

I remember listening to a radio station over there and it said they had so much percentage off of all manchester, I'm sure at the time someone explained what it was but I've forgotten so could someone please tell me what is manchester :confused:

Jan n Neil Feb 21st 2010 5:34 pm

Re: Manchester?????

Bedding, towels ect and i have no idea why they call it that ?

Neil

TeamEmbo Feb 21st 2010 5:46 pm

Thinks it's cos originally all such goods came from Manchester cotton mills

RobDon Feb 21st 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 8362853)
Thinks it's cos originally all such goods came from Manchester cotton mills

I was told more or less the same! Its appears to be anything imported originally from Manchester and made of cotton. ;)

Lee Lee Feb 21st 2010 10:26 pm

Seems a bit strange i must say :huh: Odd to have one name that covers all those items but I'm sure who ever came up with it thought it was a good idea at the time ;)

Thanks everyone for letting me know :thumbsup:

kiwinow Feb 22nd 2010 2:44 am

Yes, it's all linen (which is also an all emcompassing word, is it not?) - towels, sheets, tablecloths, bed covers, tea towels....
My Mum was tickled by it when we arrived here, as she's from Manchester, and had never heard the term. No more odd than China is it?

Matewx Feb 22nd 2010 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Lee Lee (Post 8363432)
Seems a bit strange i must say :huh: Odd to have one name that covers all those items but I'm sure who ever came up with it thought it was a good idea at the time ;)

Thanks everyone for letting me know :thumbsup:

No it's not strange...

It's like you say cutlery/silverware for all you forks, knifes n spoons or underwear for all you briefs, pants, boxer, strings, jock etc... :unsure:

Lee Lee Feb 22nd 2010 10:02 am

I suppose there will be lots of things that will seem different. I have to say I dont call my underwear underwear because thats where it came from, I call it underwear because of where I wear it :p

Thanks for answering my question anyway, all stuff like towels, bedding etc. comes under the term manchester - got it :thumbup:

Matewx Feb 22nd 2010 10:16 am

And plenty more "unusual" things to come...

mickey_d Feb 22nd 2010 10:35 am

My Kiwi historian friend reliably informs me the term 'Manchester' should only refer to bedroom linen.
"Shops that refer to Towels & Tablecloths as Manchester must be run by Foreigners"
Her words not mine:rofl:

Lee Lee Feb 22nd 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8364648)
My Kiwi historian friend reliably informs me the term 'Manchester' should only refer to bedroom linen.
"Shops that refer to Towels & Tablecloths as Manchester must be run by Foreigners"
Her words not mine:rofl:

Well that makes more sense to have one thing referred too as manchester. I think what I found strange was something like a tea towel or tablecloth being in the same category as bedding :confused:

Thanks mickey_d :)

j19fmm Feb 22nd 2010 8:09 pm

Always makes me think of dear old Brentfords...as was Brentford Nylons when we were kids, memoeries of enormous amounts of static by morning!!!!:rofl: