British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mammogram (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mammogram-553514/)

luvwelly Aug 6th 2008 1:48 am

Mammogram

Most of you will be too young for this to affect you. However get this done in the UK before you come if you need one and don't have private medical cover, as I have just been told this morning that you have to be living in NZ for 2 years before you can go on the national screening programme for ladies aged between 45 and 65 which offers a free two yearly mammogram from Breastscreen NZ http://www.nsu.govt.nz/Current-NSU-Programmes/559.asp.

I registered on the website and then got a phone call. I have private cover so will be going to the Wakefield instead but it makes me very angry, as being forced to wait another year for a mammogram which I am overdue because of my age actually means they are willing to risk higher costs for themselves if there is a problem and a very much worse potential outcome for me. It's almost a form of discrimination against recent arrivals really...I'm new here so my 2 year waiting period has to be served in real time here...an NZ citizen who never went away just has to be the right age.
Why didn't my NZ GP tell me I had to wait 2 years? Why doesn't their leaflet and website say this? Why doesn't NZIS make the patchy entitlement to medical care clearer as well?

Just like the 'Give Blood' stuff, why not say you don't want blood from people who have lived in the UK and stop wasting our time by pretending anyone can give it in your advertising.
I feel like complaining on behalf of others in the future :curse: (and in case she got it wrong) but probably won't, I'll just phone the Wakefield instead.

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 6th 2008 1:58 am

Re: Mammogram

no - you should write to them and email them and send them a complaint in black and white print too ! and keep copies of all of it.

You feel strongly about this and yours may just be the 100th complaint or whatever that WILL make them change their policies or advertising .... and even if it doesn't it will be therapeutic for yourself.

My MIL got diagnosed with breast cancer thanks to early mammogram screening for people over a certain age and she won her battle - as have a fair number of my friend's mums. Others have lost and maybe an earlier mammogram could have saved them ........... it will only take a little of your time to write - time that others may not have, so do it. You are in a position to state your case so don't stop here with us - take it further and good luck to you !!!!!!!!!

love30stm Aug 6th 2008 2:32 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 6649761)
Most of you will be too young for this to affect you. However get this done in the UK before you come if you need one and don't have private medical cover, as I have just been told this morning that you have to be living in NZ for 2 years before you can go on the national screening programme for ladies aged between 45 and 65 which offers a free two yearly mammogram from Breastscreen NZ http://www.nsu.govt.nz/Current-NSU-Programmes/559.asp.

I registered on the website and then got a phone call. I have private cover so will be going to the Wakefield instead but it makes me very angry, as being forced to wait another year for a mammogram which I am overdue because of my age actually means they are willing to risk higher costs for themselves if there is a problem and a very much worse potential outcome for me. It's almost a form of discrimination against recent arrivals really...I'm new here so my 2 year waiting period has to be served in real time here...an NZ citizen who never went away just has to be the right age.
Why didn't my NZ GP tell me I had to wait 2 years? Why doesn't their leaflet and website say this? Why doesn't NZIS make the patchy entitlement to medical care clearer as well?

Just like the 'Give Blood' stuff, why not say you don't want blood from people who have lived in the UK and stop wasting our time by pretending anyone can give it in your advertising.
I feel like complaining on behalf of others in the future :curse: (and in case she got it wrong) but probably won't, I'll just phone the Wakefield instead.

Think you may have this wrong as I have had a letter reminding me to go and have a free mammogram in New zealand....Ive been here a year....

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 6th 2008 2:37 am

I hope you are going.

love30stm Aug 6th 2008 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6649847)
I hope you are going.

I know I have to, but have not gone yet :o

luvwelly Aug 6th 2008 2:39 am

http://www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility
Well I've just done their 'eligibility' thingy and according to that I qualify for free public healthcare as a 3 year work permit holder which is what I would have expected...so a woman on a helpline doing her full-time job has very politely given me misinformation...I think you mean 'she has got it wrong' . Got to go out now - will decide whether to argue about it later.

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 6th 2008 2:40 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6649850)
I know I have to, but have not gone yet :o

it's certainly more than worth it - honestly !

love30stm Aug 6th 2008 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6649856)
it's certainly more than worth it - honestly !

Thanks I will... when I get round to it....:unsure:

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 6th 2008 2:56 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6649885)
Thanks I will... when I get round to it....:unsure:

just don't forget to "get round to it" ..... really. It does make a difference.

If you were pregnant you'd go for all the scans or ultra sounds wouldn't you !

NZBee Aug 6th 2008 9:31 pm

NZ has one of the highest rates of breast cancer in the 'western' world.
This is what my GP told me, and I also read about it. On chatting to him, I am also eligible for free mammograms in 5 years (I am 30) as I am considered high risk as both my mother and my sister had breast cancer.

I would double check with your GP, as mine has been very forthcoming here about getting me checked when I hit 35 regularly. More 'on to it' than they were in the UK.

luvwelly Aug 7th 2008 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by NZBee (Post 6653185)
NZ has one of the highest rates of breast cancer in the 'western' world.
This is what my GP told me, and I also read about it. On chatting to him, I am also eligible for free mammograms in 5 years (I am 30) as I am considered high risk as both my mother and my sister had breast cancer.

I would double check with your GP, as mine has been very forthcoming here about getting me checked when I hit 35 regularly. More 'on to it' than they were in the UK.

Thanks for your interest. I still haven't been able to find out whether or not the info I was given as a holder of a 3 year work permit (not PR) was correct.
I may write a letter to double check on behalf of others. However the good news is that a private mammogram is not very expensive $130ish so I've booked in for next week privately, I've left it long enough and just want to get one done soonest. ;)

luvwelly Aug 12th 2008 11:47 pm

Love30stm and to anyone else putting it off....
Had my mammogram this morning - it was not a big deal but yes I couldn't imagine letting a male radiographer do it for a second :rofl: - they take 4 pics - two of each breast and it was nothing like Germaine Greer's negative description in one of her books....only one of the 4 pics was slightly uncomfortable for me because of the way you have to drape yourself! You stand up the whole time and the machine was a Siemens Mammomat (?)1000 (I think)..the room was pleasant and not darkened at all...will not put it off ever again as it was trivial really.

So don't delay - do it today if you are over 45.

I couldn't help smiling though to see this plug-in free-standing electric heater alongside this piece of medical technology!

shirl Aug 13th 2008 1:11 am

Hi - read this with interest, I had a mammogram earlier this year around Feb time. We have not been here 2 years, I had it on the health system and the only requirement was that I was a permanent resident. I said I was and no one checked my paperwork either to make sure. I had this done in Christchurch. Any woman about to have one please check as I think you will be able to have one if you have residency. Good luck.:confused::ohmy:

luvwelly Aug 13th 2008 4:09 am

Originally Posted by shirl (Post 6674248)
Hi - read this with interest, I had a mammogram earlier this year around Feb time. We have not been here 2 years, I had it on the health system and the only requirement was that I was a permanent resident. I said I was and no one checked my paperwork either to make sure. I had this done in Christchurch. Any woman about to have one please check as I think you will be able to have one if you have residency. Good luck.:confused::ohmy:

Yeah that could be right...I don't have or want residency..just a 3 year work permit which according to the MOH website qualifies me for NZ Health System. I still think I may have been misinformed.

Elsie03 Aug 13th 2008 10:13 am

Hi Luvwelly,

Having arrived in NZ on a visitors visa and subsequently had a medical for a Temp Work Visa, I was informed by the NZ GP who undertook my medical, that I would be entitled to the free Mammogram Service once I was in receipt of a two year temp work visa....

I was also adviced that the national screening programme was for ladies between 45 and 65 years. However, as I have a history of Breast Cancer in my family, I would be entitled from the age of 35 (10 years earlier because of the history), I am now overdue and will be arranging in due course....it can indeed be a life saver for those affected.....

Hope this helps......

LC