Mammogram

Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:17 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Mammogram

Originally Posted by luvwelly

Just like the 'Give Blood' stuff, why not say you don't want blood from people who have lived in the UK and stop wasting our time by pretending anyone can give it in your advertising.

I was under the impression that if you came from the UK you couldn't give blood for 5 years because of the mad cow disease.

Thanks for the info on Mammograms

Pauline
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howden40
I was under the impression that if you came from the UK you couldn't give blood for 5 years because of the mad cow disease.

Thanks for the info on Mammograms

Pauline
Is it only for 5 years? I thought the problem was they didn't know how long mad cow disease incubates for - it must be a problem though to exclude donors given the large number of kiwis who go to UK for several years. The website link is here: www.nzblood.co.nz/

Eligibility criteria:
You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.

On the mammograms, the Breastscreen NZ leaflet describes it as 'uncomfortable for most and painful for some'...an unnecessarily off-putting description I'd say based on my experience.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 13th 2008 at 9:04 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

On the mammograms, the Breastscreen NZ leaflet describes it as 'uncomfortable for most and painful for some'...an unnecessarily off-putting description I'd say based on my experience.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO THE DESCRIPTION - My dear mum avoided mammograms when she really shouldn't have; listened to too many people saying it was painful...sadly it cost her her life....I agree with Luvwelly; it really annoys me when people refer to it as uncomfortable and painful...in my experience IT IS NOT, and when Mum finally went and had one (which was too late) she said it was no bother at all......

Sorry...hit a nerve.......

LC x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Is it only for 5 years? I thought the problem was they didn't know how long mad cow disease incubates for - it must be a problem though to exclude donors given the large number of kiwis who go to UK for several years. The website link is here: www.nzblood.co.nz/

Eligibility criteria:
You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.

On the mammograms, the Breastscreen NZ leaflet describes it as 'uncomfortable for most and painful for some'...an unnecessarily off-putting description I'd say based on my experience.
You would think, with so many Brits in NZ, we could set up our own blood Bank! I'd feel more than happy receiving blood from a fellow Brit, even the ones that are 'Mad Cows'!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
You would think, with so many Brits in NZ, we could set up our own blood Bank! I'd feel more than happy receiving blood from a fellow Brit, even the ones that are 'Mad Cows'!
I suppose it may well have to come to that!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elsie03
PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO THE DESCRIPTION - My dear mum avoided mammograms when she really shouldn't have; listened to too many people saying it was painful...sadly it cost her her life....I agree with Luvwelly; it really annoys me when people refer to it as uncomfortable and painful...in my experience IT IS NOT, and when Mum finally went and had one (which was too late) she said it was no bother at all......
Sorry...hit a nerve.......
Sorry if I stirred unpleasant memories...certainly having googled it some more, Germaine Greer (Feminist and Cambridge Don) deserves even more condemnation than your mother's friends for contributing to this vicarious learning of unfounded fear.

Apparently she has got into hot water with Aussie government for claiming PAP smear and mammogram programmes are not in women's interest because of the stress caused by false positives....reminds me of those who argue that contraception is not in women's best interests as well....and I'm sure she wouldn't go along with that.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 14th 2008 at 12:09 am.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth! I used to take mammograms (radiographer, you see) and agree that they can be VIEWED as an embarassing and painful procedure but I would urge all ladies to go and get it done! It can be a life saver.

A couple of tips that might help - pardon the expression!
-the nearer you are to the end of your cycle, ie just before your period, it will be more uncomfortable as the breast tissue is denser.
-if you are not very well endowed, it may be more uncomfortable as your ribs and collar bone 'get in the way'!
-the breast tissue is compressed to enable one exposure to be taken in each position (otherwise you have thin bits and thicker bits and more likelyhood of movement blur)
-the breast tissue extends right up into the armpit (for us mums out there, remember when your milk came in) so the 'board has to go right into the armpit for one of the views.
-the radiographer will be female too and will understand totally if you're nervous. Please ask her to talk you through the mammogram before she starts - hopefully she will take a couple of minutes to put you at your ease!

If anyone has any questions about the xrays, please PM me and I'll try to answer them.

Hey luvwelly, I think the heater was for the radiographers hands!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth! I used to take mammograms (radiographer, you see) and agree that they can be VIEWED as an embarassing and painful procedure but I would urge all ladies to go and get it done! It can be a life saver.

A couple of tips that might help - pardon the expression!
-the nearer you are to the end of your cycle, ie just before your period, it will be more uncomfortable as the breast tissue is denser.
-if you are not very well endowed, it may be more uncomfortable as your ribs and collar bone 'get in the way'!
-the breast tissue is compressed to enable one exposure to be taken in each position (otherwise you have thin bits and thicker bits and more likelyhood of movement blur)
-the breast tissue extends right up into the armpit (for us mums out there, remember when your milk came in) so the 'board has to go right into the armpit for one of the views.
-the radiographer will be female too and will understand totally if you're nervous. Please ask her to talk you through the mammogram before she starts - hopefully she will take a couple of minutes to put you at your ease!

If anyone has any questions about the xrays, please PM me and I'll try to answer them.

Hey luvwelly, I think the heater was for the radiographers hands!
The heater.......well yes maybe....she certainly didn't have cold hands! I found it far less embarassing than I expected as she stood behind and to my side...but hey when I was learning to breastfeed my kids in hospital I had midwives grabbing my boobs! I'd say it was better than that.

Do you know if that machine I quoted was 'state of the art' at all....the top plate was not obviously an x-ray plate at all...just a clear plastic thing. The pressure was minimal and lasted a couple of seconds only...you get lots of breaks as you have to re-position for each shot.
Wilma - totally by fluke I did go just post my period so I'll remember that tip for next time.
I asked the radiographer if she was doing mammograms all day ....thinking that would be a bit trying for her....she said not!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

Sorry if I stirred unpleasant memories...certainly having googled it some more, Germaine Greer (Feminist and Cambridge Don) deserves even more condemnation than your mother's friends for contributing to this vicarious learning of unfounded fear.

Apparently she has got into hot water with Aussie government for claiming PAP smear and mammogram programmes are not in women's interest because of the stress caused by false positives....reminds me of those who argue that contraception is not in women's best interests as well....and I'm sure she wouldn't go along with that.
I concur Luvwelly....in my opinion, the woman is barking

Appreciate your apology but no need...honestly; I get just a tad passionate about the whole thing because of the ineptness of individuals like Ms Greer
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

The heater.......well yes maybe....she certainly didn't have cold hands! I found it far less embarassing than I expected as she stood behind and to my side...but hey when I was learning to breastfeed my kids in hospital I had midwives grabbing my boobs! I'd say it was better than that.

Do you know if that machine I quoted was 'state of the art' at all....the top plate was not obviously an x-ray plate at all...just a clear plastic thing. The pressure was minimal and lasted a couple of seconds only...you get lots of breaks as you have to re-position for each shot.
Wilma - totally by fluke I did go just post my period so I'll remember that tip for next time.
I asked the radiographer if she was doing mammograms all day ....thinking that would be a bit trying for her....she said not!
Just had a quick peek at the Siemens website and they describe the Mammomat 1000 as a 'mid-tier' piece of equipment so I would expect it has a few 'bells and whistles' but not the whole range of fancy bits.

The clear plastic bit you mention is known as the compression devise (la-de-da!) as it basically squashes - gently!- the breast against the lower 'plate'. The x-ray film cassette will be in the bottom piece - you will notice the radiographer change this after each picture.

I found it took a while for me to get used to grabbing other ladies boobs but you soon view it as a technical exercise - you have to get all the breast tissue on the picture so the more thorough you are at positioning the breast in the first place (by pulling it around a bit) the better image you obtain. You also learn to lean a little into the lady's back so that she can't reverse as the compression devise is used!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:45 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My mum had one recently and said that it was not a problem at all .... the only slightly uncomfortable moment she had was when the press had finished it's business kind of thing and when it got removed from her breast it kind of made a suction noise and the underside of her breast had to prised almost from the pad ......... my mum has quite large sloppy breasts.
The radiography said she did a great job - my mum just remebers a bit of suction.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, large and 'less firm' boobs (being diplomatic there ) can be as much of a challenge as small ones. Makes the job a bit more interesting tho'! Pleased that your Mum didn't find the whole experience too bad and great to hear that the radiographer was supportive
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:03 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant ............. I say "sloppy" and you say "less firm" !!!!

You can tell who is the professional here !
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:05 pm

anyway - for all those still having to do it ......... even bigger and floppier older breasts are not a problem as it STILL needs doing - and if my mum didn't complain then it does not hurt.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
anyway - for all those still having to do it ......... even bigger and floppier older breasts are not a problem as it STILL needs doing - and if my mum didn't complain then it does not hurt.
Exactly! And don't worry if your boobs are big, small, pert, floppy, white, spotty, different sizes, hairy, tattooed or anything else, the radiographer is a professional and doesn't give two hoots frankly! She is there to produce good quality images to make sure you are healthy NOT judge your boobs so stop using their size/shape or your embarassment as an excuse - JUST GET IT DONE!

Here endeth my sermon on mammography!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.