Reload this Page >

Making the move in 2021

Making the move in 2021

Old Feb 2nd 2021, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Greendogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making the move in 2021

Hi,

Hoping to make the move this year with my spouse and two young children.

My job is on the skills shortage list and I’ve found a few jobs to start applying to.

With all the difficulties with travel at the moment, are people still finding they are able to make the move?

Is an August target start date achievable (we have no house to sell)?

How much savings have others put aside for the move and initial living costs?

thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 10:53 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the move in 2021

Current border requirements are here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions
Normal border operations not expected to resume any time soon. The managed isolation system is booked out six months in advance so, if you are eligible to travel, you probably want to get on with booking.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 4:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Greendogs
Hi,
Hi and welcome.

Question for you. Does your occupation fall into the critical worker category? Have a read here for further details on that It is for NZ employers but gives an idea of current policy re visas.

Good post Charismatic.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Framps69 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've signed up to the managed quarantine system already, as my wife and I are moving to NZ in November. Checking today, you can only book up to 6th June, which is 4 months in advance, and no further than that, although there are no dates available within that time. We are hoping that by the time we move the managed quarantine will have been lifted, but it will certainly be worth you keeping an eye on when blocks of dates are released in order to get your booking in for August.

We have had quotes for the removals (£6700-£7500 depending on whether our 40' container is full or not), about £1000 for insurance, and £2700 to ship the cat. We have put aside money to buy a car and £11000 to cover rent and living costs for at least 6 months as a backup in case things don't pan out with jobs (I have an NZ passport and my wife a permanent residency visa, so we don't need to go down the skills route).

Good luck!
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody knows, but I reckon NZ might not open it's borders this year. A lot possibly depends on the vaccine rollout and uptake. But that's just a hunch on my part.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Framps69
We've signed up to the managed quarantine system already, as my wife and I are moving to NZ in November. Checking today, you can only book up to 6th June, which is 4 months in advance, and no further than that, although there are no dates available within that time. We are hoping that by the time we move the managed quarantine will have been lifted, but it will certainly be worth you keeping an eye on when blocks of dates are released in order to get your booking in for August.

We have had quotes for the removals (£6700-£7500 depending on whether our 40' container is full or not), about £1000 for insurance, and £2700 to ship the cat. We have put aside money to buy a car and £11000 to cover rent and living costs for at least 6 months as a backup in case things don't pan out with jobs (I have an NZ passport and my wife a permanent residency visa, so we don't need to go down the skills route).

Good luck!

​​​​​​​Thank you. That's helpful. I hadn't appreciated that there would be a quarantine waiting list/ limited spaces. Will have to ensure we factor that into our move.

Thanks for the info re the moving costs too.

Good luck with you move.

Last edited by Greendogs; Feb 7th 2021 at 1:02 pm. Reason: add quote
Old Feb 7th 2021, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi and welcome.

Question for you. Does your occupation fall into the critical worker category?...
Thanks for the useful link. Yes, my occupation falls in the critical worker category.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

My interpretation of the current rules is that ONLY current visa holders or returning kiwis (passport holders) are being let in
No new migrants
Framps would be ok but greendogs wouldn't
Of course I could be wrong but everything seems to point in that direction 🤔

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 7th 2021 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 8:13 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

According to the government, managed isolation facilities have been planned until the middle of 2022. Not to say MIQ will still be around then but I don't think it'll be too far off. I don't think there will be much in the way of quarantine free travel this year (apart from Oz and maybe Pacific Islands). I was under the impression that it's only returning residents allowed in at the moment if they can even get an MIQ space.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Framps69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
According to the government, managed isolation facilities have been planned until the middle of 2022. Not to say MIQ will still be around then but I don't think it'll be too far off. I don't think there will be much in the way of quarantine free travel this year (apart from Oz and maybe Pacific Islands). I was under the impression that it's only returning residents allowed in at the moment if they can even get an MIQ space.
My wife has two sets of friends who have entered NZ during the pandemic with working visas as they are on the skills shortage list, so it's not just limited to citizens and permanent residents.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has two sets of friends who have entered NZ during the pandemic with working visas as they are on the skills shortage list, so it's not just limited to citizens and permanent residents.
did your wife friends have medical occupations?
A few guys at my work are on WTR visas and there wifes and kids are stuck at home and can't get them into NZ because of the covid restrictions.
I think its a bit of luck aswell.
We had a lad go back to China on holiday over Xmas in 2019 and couldn't get back to NZ. He just came back a few weeks ago. was stuck in China for over a year.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
If I was you and you have fulltime jobs in the UK. I would stay put in the UK. Especially if you work in construction. By the time the end of the year comes I don't think there will be much work next year.
Going be tough year or two ahead in NZ aswell.
If you aren't already established you may find it very diffcult to find work.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 11:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by garethwm
Nobody knows, but I reckon NZ might not open it's borders this year. A lot possibly depends on the vaccine rollout and uptake. But that's just a hunch on my part.
I totally agree with your post. NZ will continue to apply common sense re borders for 2021 I would very much hope. NZ is a safe country. Much of the rest of rhe world lags behind. NZ populace needs to be mostly vaccinated however even with that countries outside its borders needs to get control of covid. Relying on vaccination is simply not enough.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
If I was you and you have fulltime jobs in the UK. I would stay put in the UK. Especially if you work in construction. By the time the end of the year comes I don't think there will be much work next year.
Going be tough year or two ahead in NZ aswell.
If you aren't already established you may find it very diffcult to find work.
I think we'll be crying out for Tradies again soon, there seems to me to be a heck of a lot of building work going on currently, the housing market is still going gangbusters and every spare section around Auckland seems to be being built on with multiple townhouses and apartment blocks popping up on sections replacing what was previously just one house and garden. Government is also pumping quite a lot into infrastructure works to keep economy going.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:33 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

When roughly did they enter NZ? Up until just before Christmas MIQ spaces were much easier to get. Now not so much and that will be your main hurdle as you have found.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Feb 8th 2021 at 1:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.