Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:37 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Originally Posted by Woodlea
A bit contradictory old chap!

If it wasn't for the Kiwis, Aussies, Indians, Kenyans.........etc etc....and the Yanks....and the Russians, oh and the Brits we'd all be speaking German and Japanese, or then maybe Russian.

I blame the bloody Romans - they started it.
Sure, I get your point, but ……….

I was not referring to the countries that all mucked in, I think you will find that Churchill was the main driving force and the vision for victory.

Nah, I think it was the Greeks mate, they all saw themselves as gods.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

I am sorry that you have taken offence Campbell............the title of the thread is Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?................my offerings were genuinely meant - I don't see how else I could have worded my simple message so that you weren't offended Please go back and re-read my posting re the UAE................I did not mention Dubai and I did not include all employers, my comment was "our last employer" - who, just incidently, does employ thousands of people.
You obviously have no need to know how to make 'friends' with the 'locals' - you obviously have it all sorted....................so why don't you try and help the ones who would like some more information
..............and yes I felt embarrassed by a certain rugby players antics.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:46 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
always give positive answers'
Hey congrats on a possible friendship.

My take on the positive thing is that, yeah initially you would not appreciate someone who has just moved here to start the old : "ooooooo you don't wanna do it like...." story. I mean, how to win friends right?

But if you have lived here for some years in the same environment you should be allowed to voice an opinion....without some kind of backlash - and I speak from personal experience of upsetting the applecart big time!! At work.

I guess im just one of those pesky little poms who has an opinon...

Some, not all, let's not generalise, but a large number of Kiwi's can't handle a brit coming here and voicing negative stuff, even if you are playing devils advocate and don't neccessarily aggree with the views you are presenting.

I also have found kiwi's have a bit of a problem with the "underling" confronting the 'status quo' e.g. questioning authority....
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
Off the cuff remark, I know, but kinda ignorant in so many ways. Is Auckland supposed to be...erm, what exactly?

How are nationalities other than Asian being negatively impacted? How is New Zealand going 'overboard' on Asian immigrants?
Happynz..................I have spent a fair amount of time away from NZ in recent years and each time I come back I notice that the 'face' of NZ is changing. We have generally had a reputation of being open friendly people, for example walking down the street people would at least smile at you and often acknowledge your presence...............I am sorry the most of the Asians I have seen walking around the streets are just plain dour - this is what I mean about changing the 'face' of NZ.
Re the negative impact of on other nationalities - we have a certain number of 'slots' for immigrants each year and more Asians means less other nationalities.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:58 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I think Campbell's reply and quotes sum up perfectly the pompous Brit attitude to the rest of the world. We, as Brits, are not better, superior, nor do we have all (or even any if the state of England is to go by) of the answers. No wonder Kiwis avoid making friends with Brits like you blowing there own trumpet all over the Kiwis homeland!

I for one am here to learn a different way of life not to make NZ into a Little Britain.
Is that because I have an opinion and voice it ?

Sorry, but there are quite a few reasons to be proud of being British
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Thankyou Luvwelly and TeamEmbo .................I know I take my confidence in my hands when replying as a 'local' on an Expat website, but if I can give a hand to even one person I am happy
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Campbells

Well perhaps that is for another thread then Campbells
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Funny thread overall.........

So many here only ever seem to make friends with other ex-pats and worry about how to 'fit in and be accepted' etc etc.

WHAT A LOAD OF TOTAL TOSH.

Be yourself, be friendly, remain British (thats where you come from after all)

Go out join a few clubs that you're into ie. sport etc and you'll be fine.

The way you read things here you'd think some are after their Kiwi Bestest best friend or something.

If a Kiwi doesn't accept the fact you're a Brit than sod em their loss......

I've made some friends or aquaintances through bike racing by finding the local bike club and turning up one night to say hello....its not difficult. I don't need a best mate but i do now have somewhere and a few guys to drink with if i need it which i don't but hey its fun.

Do we all need to change to come here.....?

Do we all need to become identikit Kiwis to fit in.....?

Do we all need to adopt the "BRIT EX-Pat' idea that kiwis are not materialistic and that being so doesn't fit in.......?

Like hell we do.............

Last edited by teambwr47; Oct 22nd 2007 at 7:08 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

sol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura about

I also have found kiwi's have a bit of a problem with the "underling" confronting the 'status quo' e.g. questioning authority....[/QUOTE]

Ooh 'eck....looks like I'm in for some bother!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:08 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Is that because I have an opinion and voice it ?

No. And it gets really tiresome hearing the 'opinion' line.

I found disagreeable the way you attacked the poster, who I believe was actually giving the rest of us who are interested in forging positive and lasting friendships with Kiwis some very useful and informative advice. The poster wasn't laying down any kind of law but simply stating ways in which we could view things from the 'local' perspective. Telling the poster to 'get over it' and such was really not called for especially as she had actually gone to the trouble of answering the OP in a constructive and non-biased way.

This thread really doesn't need to degenerate as so many do.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
No. And it gets really tiresome hearing the 'opinion' line.

I found disagreeable the way you attacked the poster, who I believe was actually giving the rest of us who are interested in forging positive and lasting friendships with Kiwis some very useful and informative advice. The poster wasn't laying down any kind of law but simply stating ways in which we could view things from the 'local' perspective. Telling the poster to 'get over it' and such was really not called for especially as she had actually gone to the trouble of answering the OP in a constructive and non-biased way.

This thread really doesn't need to degenerate as so many do.
Degenerate? Man, I'm loving it. A lively kick arse debate.... a bit of passion!

I am all for Delores - it's great having a kiwi giving an opinion here. Personally I find Campbell really refreshing. It's all good. At least is has livened up the NZ board a bit! How many times can you read a thread where everyone is busy patting themselves smugly on the back?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sol133
I also have found kiwi's have a bit of a problem with the "underling" confronting the 'status quo' e.g. questioning authority....
Ooh 'eck....looks like I'm in for some bother![/QUOTE]

Nah, you're a women you'll be alright.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
Just Joined

As yes Hoyo.................but is it termed a 'debate' if neither side is listening to each other
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dolores
I am sorry that you have taken offence Campbell............the title of the thread is Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?................my offerings were genuinely meant - I don't see how else I could have worded my simple message so that you weren't offended Please go back and re-read my posting re the UAE................I did not mention Dubai and I did not include all employers, my comment was "our last employer" - who, just incidently, does employ thousands of people.
You obviously have no need to know how to make 'friends' with the 'locals' - you obviously have it all sorted....................so why don't you try and help the ones who would like some more information
..............and yes I felt embarrassed by a certain rugby players antics.
Thank you, no offence taken.

Call me whatever, but I am not interested in trying to pretend I am a Kiwi to become accepted. As I said, I will never be Kiwi and that is the cold, hard facts. I am happy with that and if that means that, I can only have friends of non-Kiwi nationality then so be it.

The “certain rugby player’s antics” are most common all over the place in NZ any Friday or Saturday night and your Kiwi sporting ambassador just confirms (to the eyes of the world) that you are no nation of saints.

New Zealand is certainly not short of yobs, otherwise known as lewd & crude (that includes the Kiwiesses).

Re your experience in UAE, the way it was worded

“In fact in our last place of employment (UAE) they refused to employ Brits because that was the way they acted!!”

To me that read that you are stating that the UAE refused to employ Brits because of their attitude.

Cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:34 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Campbells;5452453

Re your experience in UAE, the way it was worded

“In fact in our last place of employment (UAE) they refused to employ Brits because that was the way they acted!!”

To me that read that you are stating that the UAE refused to employ Brits because of their attitude.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Yes I see how some people could be confused by that - I will edit my post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.