Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:11 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
most Kiwi's I know (including myself ) would get a heck of a laff just reading this thread.

I am married to a Brit (not that he would admit to it these days though ) and this is what I have found.

If you want to make true Kiwi friends then I suggest you consider taking some time to find out what actually makes Kiwi's tick. They are not bottom of the world dwelling Brits. They are Kiwi's and they go hand and hand with NZ. They do not like being treated like some little outpost 20 years behind your time, in fact most Kiwi's don't fancy your so called 20 years ahead the times and in many aspects think their way of life is 20 years ahead.

If you learn the real history of NZ you will understand why there may be some resistance still around Mother England coming here and stamping her Empire all over this country, especially if you start telling us we all need central heating and wear what you conmsider to be fashionable.

If you expect to get a red carpet laid out for you that wont happen, but if you hang in there and work at it I am sure that in no time at all you will have many loyal Kiwi friends. Really it is up to you, we rightly or wrongly think you are here to enjoy our way of life, not turn it into your way of life.

The biggest obstacle for MOH has been coming to grips with the fact that you don't need a formal invite to visit. Just pop in when passing or a phone call to invite yourself over for a drink is the norm.

And most of all just remember, just as Kiwi's send out vibes, so do you !

Traditionally we know you as immigrants who choose to stick together and never ask but always tell us. The fact that we are so far away from the rest of the world actually equates to a large number of us having enjoyed considerable OE.

Other factors you may like to consider ... Brits have been immigrating here since the early 1800's in fairly big numbers and many of you never lose your accents so we often have no idea if you have been here 5 minutes or 50 years. We are a nation who make great friends but that doesn't mean we feel obliged to "spill our guts to you" and what you like to chat about may be nothing more than idle chat to a Kiwi. We are not on the whole big chatters, if you get my gist.

We all create our own destiny, best wishes to you all whatever your future holds.
So, given all you have said, what is the best way to make mates here? Cos I for one am dying to know the secret!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Ohhh Bellasmum....................very eloquently put It had just occured to me yesterday to post about not 'making an appointment' to go and visit someone!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Hoyo.............did you read my first post? - have you tried that?

Funny that you should all be complaining about Kiwis though - we spent 2 and a half years in the UK (as an expat) and found it very hard to make friends there as well...................and in fact left with no what you would call 'life-long' friends .............same in Australia
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:23 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

most Kiwi's I know (including myself ) would get a heck of a laff just reading this thread.

I am married to a Brit (not that he would admit to it these days though ) and this is what I have found. .
Why is that ?

If you learn the real history of NZ you will understand why
So what is the real history ? Did someone kick someone’s ass a hundred years ago ? Get over it and get on with it. The world experienced two world wars and had to move on from grudges. Perhaps there is something to learn from the rest of the world. Can you imagine that as being a possibility ?

If you want to make true Kiwi friends then I suggest you consider taking some time to find out what actually makes Kiwi's tick.
So why don’t you tell us. ?

They are Kiwi's and they go hand and hand with NZ.
A given !

They do not like being treated like some little outpost 20 years behind your time, in fact most Kiwi's don't fancy your so called 20 years ahead the times and in many aspects think their way of life is 20 years ahead.
Well you said it !

in many aspects think their way of life is 20 years ahead.
Personally I think this is the real problem. That’s why we have “everything” according to the Kiwi way.

And most of all just remember, just as Kiwi's send out vibes, so do you !.
Some nations have learnt how to express their vibes and hearing things you may not want to hear is just like understanding that losing is a part of winning.

If you expect to get a red carpet laid out for you that wont happen, but if you hang in there and work at it I am sure that in no time at all you will have many loyal Kiwi friends. Really it is up to you, we rightly or wrongly think you are here to enjoy our way of life, not turn it into your way of life.
Actually friendship ( the topic of the post) is about two parties as is any relationship otherwise it is just dictatorship. Actually I believe that attitude is a big part of the problem. Most ex-pats come here to New Zealand with a lot to offer the country in ways of skills etcetera. This is what is commonly known as a win / win situation. In other words you have something I want and I offer you something in return.

You also have to remember that New Zealanders a country has a marketing drive on to “invite” people to the country. The picture is not offered as come and fit in “or else”.

The marketing of New Zealand is that Kiwi’s are open to other cultures and opinions.

Other factors you may like to consider ... Brits have been immigrating here since the early 1800's in fairly big numbers and many of you never lose your accents so we often have no idea if you have been here 5 minutes or 50 years. .
That’s pretty simple to solve. Just be friendly Kiwi’s and just ask.

: We are a nation who make great friends but that doesn't mean we feel obliged to "spill our guts to you" and what you like to chat about may be nothing more than idle chat to a Kiwi. We are not on the whole big chatters, if you get my gist. .
Not according to the majority of this thread. You should not have to feel obliged, as once again, that is not what true friendship is about. So what is it that Kiwi’s like to get into deep conversation about, share that with us instead of trying to bang us on the heads and try to convert us to Kiwi’s. It is something I cannot be and that should be acceptable to you and other Kiwis.

So if you are not a nation of chatters, what do the Kiwis do whilst they hang around the coffee shops during the day?

It sounds like you feel there is some form of distaste about being a Brit because of some of history in New Zealand. It always amazes me that most countries tend to chose what they remember and that is that if it wasn’t for great British people like Churchill Kiwis would be speaking Japanese.

So perhaps selective memory is part of the problem.

Perhaps if Kiwi’s could be more friendly to Brits the centre of Auckland would start to look European rather than Asian.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:44 am
Just Joined

I agree 100% with your last statement Campbells...................I personally think that NZ has gone 'overboard' on the Asian immigrants to the detriment of other nationalites!!
But you are still exhibiting the same behaviour patterns that we (as Kiwis) find so irritating "...........a lot to offer the country....." - we have worked with Brits all around the world and, even if you don't realise you do it, you send out strong signals of 'superiority' - which doesn't tie in with our News led perception of the UK ...............In fact in our last place of employment (in the UAE) they refused to employ Brits because that was the way they acted!!
So, if you really want to make NZ your 'home' - what to do.
a. Arrange a casual party/barbeque (invite the kids) invite the people you would like to know better.
b. On a Saturday/Sunday ring up someone in the morning and say "we are going to such and such a Mall (near them) this morning and though we might pop in and see you guys after - will you be there?"
c. Tell a family you know "we are going to such and such a beach on Saturday/Sunday would you and your family like to come as well?" - if they are busy on Saturday - offer to change the day to Sunday.
d. .........or we are going to such and such a forest for a picnic would you like to come - same as for above.
There are some suggestions for you to try - but above all else remember our 'social life' is casual. NZers are also generally reticient so until you know someone REALLY well lay off the rude/crude and lewd jokes - they will only make us feel uncomfortable!!

Last edited by Dolores; Oct 22nd 2007 at 7:35 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:00 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
Perhaps if Kiwi’s could be more friendly to Brits the centre of Auckland would start to look European rather than Asian.
Off the cuff remark, I know, but kinda ignorant in so many ways. Is Auckland supposed to be...erm, what exactly?

Originally Posted by Dolores
I agree 100% with your last statement Campbells...................I personally think that NZ has gone 'overboard' on the Asian immigrants to the detriment of other nationalities!!
How are nationalities other than Asian being negatively impacted? How is New Zealand going 'overboard' on Asian immigrants?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by happynz
How is New Zealand going 'overboard' on Asian immigrants?
Have you ever been to Auckland?

In a few years time they will outnumber the Maoris........

Is that a bad thing?

I don't think so, but Winston Peters sure does!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:17 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dolores
I agree 100% with your last statement Campbells...................I personally think that NZ has gone 'overboard' on the Asian immigrants to the detriment of other nationalites!!
But you are still exhibiting the same behaviour patterns that we (as Kiwis) find so irritating "...........a lot to offer the country....." - we have worked with Brits all around the world and, even if you don't realise you do it, you send out strong signals of 'superiority' - which doesn't tie in with our News led perception of the UK ...............In fact in our last place of employment (UAE) they refused to employ Brits because that was the way they acted!!
So, if you really want to make NZ your 'home' - what to do.
a. Arrange a casual party/barbeque (invite the kids) invite the people you would like to know better.
b. On a Saturday/Sunday ring up someone in the morning and say "we are going to such and such a Mall (near them) this morning and though we might pop in and see you guys after - will you be there?"
c. Tell a family you know "we are going to such and such a beach on Saturday/Sunday would you and your family like to come as well?" - if they are busy on Saturday - offer to change the day to Sunday.
d. .........or we are going to such and such a forest for a picnic would you like to come - same as for above.
There are some suggestions for you to try - but above all else remember our 'social life' is casual. NZers are also generally reticient so until you know someone REALLY well lay off the rude/crude and lewd jokes - they will only make us feel uncomfortable!!
Ahem!

A quick Google does not back up your comment re Brits in UAE http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...bai_lifestyle/

“The inimitable Dubai lifestyle is being enjoyed by greater numbers of Britons annually and according to the latest statistics from the British embassy in the UAE the number of Britons living in Dubai has doubled in just four short years to reach 100,000 in the emirate and 120,000 in the UAE as a whole.”

Thanks for your input but exactly what you have done in your post is what is so irritating.

We have friends dotted around the planet and certainly do not see ourselves as anti-social or lacking the social skills to make new friends. On the other hand, your response is how I would address our four-year-old son.

This for me is typical, instead of opening up to the possibility that perhaps Kiwis could do better at opening themselves up to other cultures (non-Kiwi) you would rather offer a lecture in how to invite someone for a barbecue.

Come on, admit it!

In terms of the serious skills shortage in the country that is a major handbrake for the economy “perhaps” if you tried seeing immigrants as offering something for the country it could be a completely new concept that could work better.

What you think?

Re the rude & crude, does that include jumping on cars in host countries?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:20 am

Why is that ?
Dynamite post!

My overall opinion on how to make kiwi mates is....become an identikit Kiwi!!!!

That means, losing your accent, losing an "Opinion", losing the desire to "talk shite or take the piss" - keep yer mouth SHUT and you'll be right, losing your "British" identity, losing any strong opinions you may have, after all we don't want any poms coming here and telling us how to run the show...losing so very much.....for so very very little.I could go further, but I understand this is a family affair....

Nah, stuff that, i am happy with my very small expat friendships. I was interested in this thread cos I have been through it myself. But even before I posted I knew my opinion : I don't want kiwi mates. I am happy with my ex pat friends where we don't have to be "staunch" can have a "laugh" can take the "piss' and don't "get our knickers in a twist" when we here controversial "opinions".

And that is just my opinion....
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by happynz
Off the cuff remark, I know, but kinda ignorant in so many ways. Is Auckland supposed to be...erm, what exactly?
English speaking for 1 !
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:21 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Campbell's reply and quotes sum up perfectly the pompous Brit attitude to the rest of the world. We, as Brits, are not better, superior, nor do we have all (or even any if the state of England is to go by) of the answers. No wonder Kiwis avoid making friends with Brits like you blowing there own trumpet all over the Kiwis homeland!

I for one am here to learn a different way of life not to make NZ into a Little Britain.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the real history ? Did someone kick someone’s ass a hundred years ago ? Get over it and get on with it. The world experienced two world wars and had to move on from grudges. Perhaps there is something to learn from the rest of the world. Can you imagine that as being a possibility ?

It sounds like you feel there is some form of distaste about being a Brit because of some of history in New Zealand. It always amazes me that most countries tend to chose what they remember and that is that if it wasn’t for great British people like Churchill Kiwis would be speaking Japanese.

So perhaps selective memory is part of the problem.
A bit contradictory old chap!

If it wasn't for the Kiwis, Aussies, Indians, Kenyans.........etc etc....and the Yanks....and the Russians, oh and the Brits we'd all be speaking German and Japanese, or then maybe Russian.

I blame the bloody Romans - they started it.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea
A bit contradictory old chap!

If it wasn't for the Kiwis, Aussies, Indians, Kenyans.........etc etc....and the Yanks....and the Russians, oh and the Brits we'd all be speaking German and Japanese, or then maybe Russian.

I blame the bloody Romans - they started it.
mainly the russians I would have thought....I'd hardly compare 12000 kiwi losses (no matter how tragic) to 24 millions russians.

Last edited by Hoyo; Oct 22nd 2007 at 6:31 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:35 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

English speaking for 1 !
Many of the Asians that you see in Auckland's CBD are English language students, so I think at least they are having a go at learning English. How's your Chinese, bub?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Dolores
Thanks for your honesty about the 'superiority' thing....it's all useful information from where I am standing. Just as valid as the 'always give positive answers' idea which I know I always felt myself when asking people if they liked the UK.
I firmly believe that people have to have a reason to want to make friends with you...hence why so often you have to make the first move as the newcomer...I think this applies to most western cultures where people lead busy lives.
I had a long chat with a lady in the park the other day while our kids were playing, at the end of it she suggested exchanging phone numbers and addresses which I was pleased to do but I know it will be me who will have to make the next move for it to progress, which I will do. I am an older mother however and so was she, so that was our connection...I think you always need some kind of connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.