Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:19 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Kiwi Mates - What's the Secret?

Originally Posted by Campbells
I was at the dentist the other day, quoted $750 for an hours work and when I questioned, why so expensive (how dare I), the response was that dental costs here are comparable with the US and Canada. My response was, “sure thing but your NZ wages are not on a par with US and Canada so how do you expect people to pay?” The dental nurse nearly choked laughing.
I'm currently in a legal battle with a company in Auckland and am paying my Kiwi lawyers New York rates for...in all honesty....shoddy service and advice.

As I begin to understand this country, it wouldn't surprise me that much to discover that my lawyer and your dentist are one and the same...
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:48 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Of course it isn't a classless society...it's just that the upper classes are quite small .
Yeah right,

(This sound like a beer advert)

Yeah, and so are the number of people that work for a pittance in NZ.

Out of interest, does living in a “posh” area in New Zealand mean that you don’t have people living in the suburb that are on benefit or in a street that has speed humps to slow the boy racers down at 02:00 on a Saturday morning ?

Most of the marinas in & around Auckland have a few dollars worth of weekend toys that cost more than your average house in NZ. Obviously $20 an hour buys a lot of boat.

Stats that were printed a few months back stated that 75% of houses in the Auckland area are rented.

So, would you say the 80/20 rule applies in NZ ?

Perhaps if the Kiwis were more open to sharing the country with other rivals (South Africans and Brits) the country would not be working for Japan & Australia.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:25 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lardyl
well......as Avid intimated the "bullshit" is another type which will have no "gainsayers" - just try doing anything but keeping your mouth shut in the workplace when you see some "shockers" - most ex-Pats here will tell you: "keep your mouth shut, dont complain, dont criticise, dont suggest how you used to do it, just nod and bite your tongue"
and the bureaucracy is different, its there all right and some would say it is worse than the UK!
Almost all of the ex-Pat professionals I know are driven mad by the whole system and I'm joining them in the mad-house. Its not all sweetness and light here, be prepared for a shock, especially if you have to manage safety look at risk and contend with the "she'll be right" culture - talk about tearing your hair out.
That much I agree with, I have heard this from several over recent months you dont notice it until you talk to other ex pats that its actually going on. In fact people who speak out get shot down big style much as I have seen in many New Zealand topic forums. Someone has a beef about something its made out they are in the wrong and should stop complainning. New Zealand smells of scented roses dont you know that? But we all know what roses have on the stems

Although the last week has been a pleasure rubbing the Rugby world cup in the faces
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:35 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell

Although the last week has been a pleasure rubbing the Rugby world cup in the faces
I bet you are dead popular at work...

It's funny, when the Lions were well and truly thrashed last year it was quite all right for the kiwi's at my work to take the piss. Which was alright with me - with one proviso - if you can give it you must be able to take it!!....funny that same rule does not apply now Kiwis in general are not very good at laughing at themselves in terms of sporting prowes whereas yer typical brit has had lots of experience - let's face it we need it...

Still don't you know - the All blacks are still the best in the world!! According to Henry...

Last edited by Hoyo; Oct 16th 2007 at 5:45 am.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:40 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Ha got back up with a few other ex pats

Strange thing we get ignored now, I think the T Bag joke is wearing a bit thin now though
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, does living in a “posh” area in New Zealand mean that you don’t have people living in the suburb that are on benefit or in a street that has speed humps to slow the boy racers down at 02:00 on a Saturday morning ?

So, would you say the 80/20 rule applies in NZ ?

I doubt if anyone on my street is on benefit... though I might be the first one if my legal battle goes on much longer...no speed humps here..or shops...or anything really, except slightly less shabby houses that cost 4 times the average.

I thought the 80/20 rule applied to everything...
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hoorah, there has been more sense and real facts about the real New Zealand spoken on this thread in the past three pages than on most of the rest of the site and others in the past three months......
Glad I am not the only one who is coming to terms with a third class work environment in the Third World!!!
Oh yeah and there are plenty of people around who cant adjust to reality - yes, as Sproutie joked:
next year's Beldisloe is the 7/8th place playoff for the RWC!!!, and its official:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bledisloe_Cup
(end of the History section if you are looking!!)

oh yeah, seems like my "attitude" means that I am never gonna make Kiwi mates - the only true ones I have are about to flit to Oz!!! Doh!

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 16th 2007 at 7:47 am.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:42 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hoyo
Some interesting posts there Campbell!

If I understand you correctly you are going over to the UK soon to test the water with a view to returning. I am teetering on the brink of going back to the UK myself. Not because I think the UK is great, but I don't think NZ is better. I will probably stay though cos I want to retrain....
A few reasons for the trip, one is that our son hasn’t met the family in the UK.

Did some research via the net on salaries etc plus cost of real estate in Scotland versus here in Auckland and concluded that NZ is a very expensive place when looking at the big picture.

Looking at some potential business opportunities between NZ and UK, potentially seeking out UK companies looking for representation here and / or Oz. Would be an ace to live here and earn BPS ( well, at least from the earn side of things).

Hoping to do a couple of hops into Europe as have some great friends in Germany, Switzerland and Italy. We are there for nearly the whole of Jan and is nearly ten years since been to UK. As usual try to squeeze the most of these and have this great list of to-do. That is a huge plus of the UK is the close proximity to EU.

BUT

We just got our son ( four y o ) accepted to a very good school starting next year. Regardless of all my comments re Kiwis etc our wee nipper is thriving here and yes, he does speak like a Kiwi ( yeah yeah yeah).

We went to a great beach last weekend ( Shakespeare Park) and there was maybe 30 people there in total. We didn’t have to queue up or drive 50 miles to get there and the wee ones run around pretty free.

I love the fact ( after many years in South Africa) that where we live we can sleep with the windows open, without security bars or alarms systems on.

Conclusion:
Yes, will be having a look at the UK but must admit that for our wee lad this place has a lot to offer in terms of freedom. To be really honest I am hoping that I will see the UK as no option as it will maybe put things in place for me.

We intend to do a few trips next year to Oz ( have several friends there too) and have a look – see there. For sure the weather will be a big pull, my missus is South African . Funny enough, this last winter got to me more than her ( I grew up in Scotland and no stranger to cold).

I have been known to say that I wish I had never left Scotland and never have known any better because sh*t man, it is tiring all this moving around.

South Africa was awesome but a tad wild west ( dodging bullets) now. Now THAT is lifestyle. If SA sorted out the crime, we would probably go back but the reality of that happening is not in the near future.

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:39 pm

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

A few reasons for the trip, one is that our son hasn’t met the family in the UK.

Did some research via the net on salaries etc plus cost of real estate in Scotland versus here in Auckland and concluded that NZ is a very expensive place when looking at the big picture.

Looking at some potential business opportunities between NZ and UK, potentially seeking out UK companies looking for representation here and / or Oz. Would be an ace to live here and earn BPS ( well, at least from the earn side of things).

Hoping to do a couple of hops into Europe as have some great friends in Germany, Switzerland and Italy. We are there for nearly the whole of Jan and is nearly ten years since been to UK. As usual try to squeeze the most of these and have this great list of to-do. That is a huge plus of the UK is the close proximity to EU.

BUT

We just got our son ( four y o ) accepted to a very good school starting next year. Regardless of all my comments re Kiwis etc our wee nipper is thriving here and yes, he does speak like a Kiwi ( yeah yeah yeah).

We went to a great beach last weekend ( Shakespeare Park) and there was maybe 30 people there in total. We didn’t have to queue up or drive 50 miles to get there and the wee ones run around pretty free.

I love the fact ( after many years in South Africa) that where we live we can sleep with the windows open, without security bars or alarms systems on.

Conclusion:
Yes, will be having a look at the UK but must admit that for our wee lad this place has a lot to offer in terms of freedom. To be really honest I am hoping that I will see the UK as no option as it will maybe put things in place for me.

We intend to do a few trips next year to Oz ( have several friends there too) and have a look – see there. For sure the weather will be a big pull, my missus is South African . Funny enough, this last winter got to me more than her ( I grew up in Scotland and no stranger to cold).

I have been known to say that I wish I had never left Scotland and never have known any better because sh*t man, it is tiring all this moving around.

South Africa was awesome but a tad wild west ( dodging bullets) now. Now THAT is lifestyle. If SA sorted out the crime, we would probably go back but the reality of that happening is not in the near future.

Good luck to you.
And to you. I may end up back in Africa myself in a few years - like you say, you want an expat experience - go to Africa - it is indescribable - especially if you are looking for some adventure. SOmehow the sleepy burbs of NZ don't have the same appeal.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:52 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubstar
avid,

Jacky its soo very true.

I'm afraid i have many Kiwi aquaintances but no kiwi friends, my friends are 98% British, the rest, fillipino, cambodian and chinese.

I find kiwi women hard to talk to, its like they give vibes off, and you dare not argue with them.
After a recent poll they don't have time to do much talking

But seriously do friends have to be of an ethnic background? You may not have alot in common with certain people now but give it time you may and if not your sure to make friends with other like minded people.

My best man was dutch my friends are mainly european or asian immigrants (who think of themselves as Kiwis).

And for the comment about Maoris and islanders you obviously have not seen the whole side.

Kiwi
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
After a recent poll they don't have time to do much talking

But seriously do friends have to be of an ethnic background? You may not have alot in common with certain people now but give it time you may and if not your sure to make friends with other like minded people.

My best man was dutch my friends are mainly european or asian immigrants (who think of themselves as Kiwis).

And for the comment about Maoris and islanders you obviously have not seen the whole side.

Kiwi
Not sure what you mean about the Maori and islander comment, don't think it was made by me lol

My OH best bud over here is maori, he is a fab guy, we also have dutch mates in Nelson. God I have more mates than I thought, here's me thinking I am Billy no mates

Think your right about the like minds though
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Wiz'n'ton..........I have just read through your thread (and as a NZ born Kiwi) I feel embarrased by the behaviour of my compatriotes ............but in their defense - once you have your 'lifestyle' established it is hard to bring new people into it. My suggestion would be for you to pick out some people from work, and or school, that you think you might like to know better - have a barbeque (the weather should be getting better soon) and invite them all, including kids because they are a great ice-breaker.
At present we are living the expat lifestyle overseas but we are due to return to live in Christchurch (a first for us) in June next year so we might get a chance to meet up then
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Dolores and welcome to this little NZ forum.

Loads of rain here right now but looking forward to better weather soon.

Whereabouts are you living your ex-pat lifestyle? Dead nosey me
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Have lived the 'expat' lifestyle in 5 different countries BEV............but presently rattliing around the Middle East

So I do understand how hard it is to go into a new country and make friends with the 'locals'....................the one thing I have found however, is that when a 'local' asks how you like their country - they only want to hear a 'good' reply!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

most Kiwi's I know (including myself ) would get a heck of a laff just reading this thread.

I am married to a Brit (not that he would admit to it these days though ) and this is what I have found.

If you want to make true Kiwi friends then I suggest you consider taking some time to find out what actually makes Kiwi's tick. They are not bottom of the world dwelling Brits. They are Kiwi's and they go hand and hand with NZ. They do not like being treated like some little outpost 20 years behind your time, in fact most Kiwi's don't fancy your so called 20 years ahead the times and in many aspects think their way of life is 20 years ahead.

If you learn the real history of NZ you will understand why there may be some resistance still around Mother England coming here and stamping her Empire all over this country, especially if you start telling us we all need central heating and wear what you conmsider to be fashionable.

If you expect to get a red carpet laid out for you that wont happen, but if you hang in there and work at it I am sure that in no time at all you will have many loyal Kiwi friends. Really it is up to you, we rightly or wrongly think you are here to enjoy our way of life, not turn it into your way of life.

The biggest obstacle for MOH has been coming to grips with the fact that you don't need a formal invite to visit. Just pop in when passing or a phone call to invite yourself over for a drink is the norm.

And most of all just remember, just as Kiwi's send out vibes, so do you !

Traditionally we know you as immigrants who choose to stick together and never ask but always tell us. The fact that we are so far away from the rest of the world actually equates to a large number of us having enjoyed considerable OE.

Other factors you may like to consider ... Brits have been immigrating here since the early 1800's in fairly big numbers and many of you never lose your accents so we often have no idea if you have been here 5 minutes or 50 years. We are a nation who make great friends but that doesn't mean we feel obliged to "spill our guts to you" and what you like to chat about may be nothing more than idle chat to a Kiwi. We are not on the whole big chatters, if you get my gist.

We all create our own destiny, best wishes to you all whatever your future holds.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Oct 22nd 2007 at 3:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.