Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Making the Journey!

Making the Journey!

Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough
Default Making the Journey!

Hi guys,

well, our flights to NZ are booked! We are flying out with Cathay Pacific and having a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong! My question is: Has anyone flown with Cathay before and what were they like? (We flew emirates back in Feb for our recce and found them to be really good apart from the frequent stops!) We are travelling with our two little girls (9 and 7).
Also, has anyone had a stopover in Hong Kong before? Any tips would be much appreciated.

We are gonna be landing in Aukland at beginning of Nov, so what kind of weather can we expect? (Do I need to pack shorts for the flight?)

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

gilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Making the Journey!

Originally Posted by elsieB
Hi guys,

well, our flights to NZ are booked! We are flying out with Cathay Pacific and having a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong! My question is: Has anyone flown with Cathay before and what were they like? (We flew emirates back in Feb for our recce and found them to be really good apart from the frequent stops!) We are travelling with our two little girls (9 and 7).
Also, has anyone had a stopover in Hong Kong before? Any tips would be much appreciated.

We are gonna be landing in Aukland at beginning of Nov, so what kind of weather can we expect? (Do I need to pack shorts for the flight?)

Thanks guys!
Hi elsieB,
Sorry I can't help you with the airline but I did stopover in Hong Kong last month, where are you staying?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough

The South Pacific Hotel. Wanchai. 5 mins walk from Happey Valley apparently! Checked it out on Trip Advisor and it seems to be a nice hotel. Executive Studio.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

Cathay Pacific are pretty good. The only problem is the seats in economy are pretty cramped, which can be a problem if you are tall.

I have done several stopovers in Hong Kong, and its a brilliant place for a few days.

But you have to come out of the airport into the city centre which is a 30-40 minute coach ride.

THE place to stay in Hong Kong (if you can afford it) is the Harbour Plaza Hong Kong in Kowloon, which is next to the Hung Hom Star Ferry terminal (nb not the Harbour Plaza Metropolis).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ng_Region.html

It has easy access to Hong Kong Island on the ferry to either Wanchai or Central. And it runs free shuttles to Tsim Sat Tsui. Not that cheap, but youll love it and the swimming pool is to die for.

The alternative is to find a cheaper place in Wanchai on Hong Kong Island, which is busier, and you could end up staying in party town or the red light district (we did) but this is not a problem, depending on what you are seeking.

When in Hong Kong, Ocean Park is lots of fun for adults and kids, whereas Disneyland will only really suit very young kids. You must visit all the markets in MongKok selling fish, flowers,birds, clothes, junk, you name it.

Taxis in Hong Kong are pretty cheap, so get around!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Weather should be OK, but in 2006, our first year in Auckland, it was cold, wet & windy up until Christmas, so be prepared
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks guys!
I have flown with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong back in 1990 and they were brilliant. The service and food was excellent.

Spent a few days in Hong Kong on a 3 centre holiday and you must go over to Hong Kong Island and get the tram to the top of Victoria Peak, the views are spectacular, plus its an experience going across the harbour on the Star Ferry. Just be aware of the humidity there I know it was 80% when we were there. (end of July 1990)

We have only just emigrated to NZ and flew Emirates in their Business Class all it cost was the price of an economy ticket and the miles we had accumulated from our return trip to NZ in July.

Have a great stop over in Hong Kong and good luck when you arrive in Auckland.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My parents flew with CP earlier this year and more than happy with them.

Weatherwise, its lovely right now but as mickey-d said the really good weather might not have settled in by then.

Good luck with everything!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Weather should be OK, but in 2006, our first year in Auckland, it was cold, wet & windy up until Christmas, so be prepared

As it was in 2004! Last year was stunning from mid November onwards, summer does not generally get off the ground until January / February, so you would be wise to pack some warm clothes, some for wet weather and some for summer.

Been a roasting day in Auckland today and turned decidedly chilly this evening
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys!

As usual, you are all very helpful and honest. Soooooo looking forward to getting to NZ for good.