Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Make the move? take the risk - honest opinions sought

Make the move? take the risk - honest opinions sought

Old Mar 29th 2015, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make the move? take the risk - honest opinions sought

If you can buy, then do so. In some areas prices have risen around $5000 a week, thats right...a week !!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Some statistics, courtesy of google, relating to this thread. POPULATION : 1 million (1900), 3.3 mil (1990), 4.5 mil (2015). IMMIGRANT COUNTRY OF BIRTH (2013 census) : 256,164 - UK, 96,441 - China, 67,176 - India, 62,712 - Australia, 54,279 - South Africa. NATIVE FOREST : 24% of NZs land area is covered in native forest. On top of that I would guess 20% to be covered with the snow capped mountains of the Sth I, or the desert landscape of Tongariro, meaning more than 40% of NZs landscape remains untouched from pre human days. In regards immigration, Mr Google says there wasnt a policy other than allowing Brits and the occasional Dutchman in until 1987, when an open policy was introduced to accept immigrants from all countries. Since then, immigration numbers have been at peak, on average, and allowing for yearly variations. Population could be 20 million by now, im sure, if immigration was not managed. Also while Weezer concentrates on what she believes to be negatives about some things relating to NZ, nowhere does she mention any of the advantages of the same element. For example, the remoteness and smallness of the country, besides the negatives, also has many positives, in my opinion. It also means we are more isolated from the big problems of the world. Plus the only way of getting here is through the airport, hence illegal immigration is not an issue. We can always find a quiet spot on a beach somewhere, and often without another person in sight. And so on, and so on. You may think there is some sort of govt conspiracy to keep the population uninformed about the monster in the closet. If so, Im happy to remain blissfully ignorant
The 24% native forest cover includes all land area, including all mountains. Fiordland, because of its remoteness and rugged mountains retains native bush to a greater degree than other parts of New Zealand. Also bear in mind the 24% native bush remaining includes mangroves, which live in saline marine environments. Mangroves have been increasing since the second half of the last century. There's some debate as to why, but some theories include the increase in nutrient rich agricultural runoff into the estuaries.

You don't need to live in New Zealand to visit nearly empty beaches even in summer. I've been to some just north of Malibu, and some lovely barrier island beaches off the east coast of the US. The beaches in NZ are very nice, though.

I don't believe living in New Zealand shields you from the worst of the world's problems, whatever you might mean by that. There are significant problems with violence towards children and infants, a serious obesity problem, a large gap between rich and poor, plenty of crime, gang problems, drug problems, teen pregnancies, teen suicide, etc. In other words, not really different than anywhere else, and in some cases worse, for instance teen suicide and rates of childhood asthma.

Please note I'm responding to the above post. I don't mean to imply New Zealand is a really horrid place. I just don't happen to think it's much different than places with much more dense populations, as far as social problems go. Whether you live in New Zealand, or the UK, or the US, if you are a hard working law abiding citizen with a good job, you will be shielded from most of the above, just as you will find less crime, etc., in less populated rural areas in many places, not just New Zealand.

One of the reasons New Zealand might have a low population is so many Kiwis live in Australia. Nearly 700,000 live there, which is a significant chunk of the population.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

The Weezer, you may not think you are implying that NZ is a horrid place but thats the impression I get from reading your posts (my impression only, and you may not mean it to sound that way). Anyone can cherry pick things about a country and use it in a negatively biased way. For example, why mention teen suicide specifically when NZs overall suicide rate is below that of your new destination, the United States? Do the 12 to 19 year olds matter more than the 5 to 11 year olds, or the 30 to 40 year olds, or even worth a migrant considering when there is 1 person per 100000 difference or whatever over a particular time period. The same can be said for asthma. From what I can tell the asthma rates in the UK, NZ and Australia are virtually identical and it appears to be an anglo saxon genetic thing going on. Are you going to mention, say, that the rate of Hepatitis C (far more deadly than asthma) in NZ is 1/6th of the US and use that as something for NZ to be proud of? Do people repeat that stat ad nauseum in the US forum? And why speak of crime in NZ when the US has 5 times the rate of the worst crime of all, murder, compared to the UK and NZ. See, I can cherry pick too.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

By the way Weezer, youre moving to a country with one of the highest levels of deforestation in the world. (wink) In all honesty, I wish you well on your move to the US. Be happy. Wherever that may be as we are only here once. Same goes for Engineer.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stop press I underguessed. NZ landmass is made up of 50% native forest and native flora including mountains. 39% grassland.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
The Weezer, you may not think you are implying that NZ is a horrid place but thats the impression I get from reading your posts (my impression only, and you may not mean it to sound that way). Anyone can cherry pick things about a country and use it in a negatively biased way. For example, why mention teen suicide specifically when NZs overall suicide rate is below that of your new destination, the United States? Do the 12 to 19 year olds matter more than the 5 to 11 year olds, or the 30 to 40 year olds, or even worth a migrant considering when there is 1 person per 100000 difference or whatever over a particular time period. The same can be said for asthma. From what I can tell the asthma rates in the UK, NZ and Australia are virtually identical and it appears to be an anglo saxon genetic thing going on. Are you going to mention, say, that the rate of Hepatitis C (far more deadly than asthma) in NZ is 1/6th of the US and use that as something for NZ to be proud of? Do people repeat that stat ad nauseum in the US forum? And why speak of crime in NZ when the US has 5 times the rate of the worst crime of all, murder, compared to the UK and NZ. See, I can cherry pick too.
I wasn't trying to compare the US to NZ specifically. My point is you'll find the same societal problems in NZ as elsewhere.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As has been already stated. It is all about a family/individual finding the right balance for them.

So. The OP - if he is still awake - seems the more concerned about his wife's ability to settle in Auckland rather than what land mass is or is not covered in indigenous forest.

Originally Posted by BEVS
"
The OP appears to have lived and worked in many countries. We have no idea what monies he may have to invest in property here. He may well be able to buy outright for all we know. We also have no idea of his NZ salary for Auckland and his current family lifestyle.

For those that live in the Auckland area, would the OPs wife incur any probs ? Is there a good Indonesian community and clubs? Much might depend on language ability. "
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, saying NZ has little native flora left would be a damning indictment on the country. Suffer from pride in NZ syndrome. Sorry. Stickler for accuracy and cant have that flying around the ether without correcting. On whether an Indonesian woman would have any problems in Auckland, my partner is from Hong Kong and he has been the recipient of some racist comment, although nothing major or constant. Just little comments occasionally by ignorant and snobbish people. Generally though race isnt an issue and in my experience most people in the workplace mix in happily. There really isnt much to say about it. Auckland is an ethnically diverse city. But there may be some encounters with racists, yes.

Last edited by garethwm; Mar 29th 2015 at 11:42 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Sadly, idiots aren't confined to one country.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I think you should consider the move very carefully before doing anything. Auckland has many problems - housing costs being the main one. Like you, we have worked and lived in many places overseas and are used to moving around, and can honestly say that for us, this was not a wise move to come here.

We have never felt that we could stay here for the rest of our lives.
For us Auckland is simply a group of country towns joined together and doesn't have the buzz that most cities have, and after living in many different parts of the world, like us, you may find it quite stifling and boring in many ways.

I would say beware the hype, as NZ is hyped up way beyond the reality. There are many exciting, interesting places around the world which offer a better lifestyle.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enginner 1
Hi there, I am looking for advice from expats who are recently moved to or away from Auckland, NZ.

I have been an expat for quite a few years, living in Africa, Dubai, Hong Kong, Asia etc. and have been offered a really good job in Auckland, with a company I think I could get along with, however reading various web site I really get mixed reviews on the quality of life in Auckland and negativity relating to incomers.

For me this move would be long term with property purchase and personal investment.

I was hoping to get some honest feedback on the high cost of living scenario in Auckland and real opinion on quality of life there before I make a decision. Moving there would be a substantial drop in salary but worth if for the quality of life and my daughters future.

Also - after reading through this forum, there definitely is negativity towards non-kiwis, which doesn't bother me, but I am afraid for my Indonesian wife and 2year old daughter.

Am heading down to Auckland in April at the invitation of the company, before I have to make a decision so guess I will see a little first hand then.

very emotive all this and thanks for the interest

NZ to win the Cricket?
Unfortunately there are racists everywhere, part and parcel of life sadly. This board is full of them. Just read any post criticizing the local driving standards - racists the lot (including me)

As you've lived in Hong Kong and Dubai during your life, then Auckland in terms of living costs I think is similar. I know Hong Kong is very expensive - Aucklands main expense is the housing market. There are cheaper areas around Auckland but as with any city, the cheaper areas tend to be for a reason. You may really enjoy it there though.. New Brighton in Paradise City for example is OK and that's a heavily ran down area.

Oh and a huge word of advice, never ever read the comments section on any of the media sites such as Stuff.co.nz. It's almost like you're reading comments from the Daily Mail.

Lastly, the mountains, hills, beaches, views, roads, lifestyle, parks etc are so beautiful that it would attract anyone to come and live. There's plenty in Auckland. Driving into work or catching the train, and seeing the beautiful figure of Sky Tower. Where else in the world would you get stunning scenery like that... You have Auckland airport where you could catch a plane to the South Island and literally ejaculate at the amazing scenery on offer when flying over. Stuff your France, Scotland, Chile and other places that have exceptionally similar characteristics - none of them are New Zealand...

Good luck whatever decision you make.. Enjoy your time over in Auckland this month.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Unfortunately there are racists everywhere, part and parcel of life sadly. This board is full of them. Just read any post criticizing the local driving standards - racists the lot (including me)

As you've lived in Hong Kong and Dubai during your life, then Auckland in terms of living costs I think is similar. I know Hong Kong is very expensive - Aucklands main expense is the housing market. There are cheaper areas around Auckland but as with any city, the cheaper areas tend to be for a reason. You may really enjoy it there though.. New Brighton in Paradise City for example is OK and that's a heavily ran down area.

Oh and a huge word of advice, never ever read the comments section on any of the media sites such as Stuff.co.nz. It's almost like you're reading comments from the Daily Mail.

Lastly, the mountains, hills, beaches, views, roads, lifestyle, parks etc are so beautiful that it would attract anyone to come and live. There's plenty in Auckland. Driving into work or catching the train, and seeing the beautiful figure of Sky Tower. Where else in the world would you get stunning scenery like that... You have Auckland airport where you could catch a plane to the South Island and literally ejaculate at the amazing scenery on offer when flying over. Stuff your France, Scotland, Chile and other places that have exceptionally similar characteristics - none of them are New Zealand...

Good luck whatever decision you make.. Enjoy your time over in Auckland this month.
Racists for criticizing the local driving standards I think you can be happy anywhere and just depends what type of person you are. Personally I wouldn't move all the way to New Zealand for scenery and then move to Auckland, but we're all different. I'm sure Scotland is amazing too and it certainly is an option for Europeans who like open space/nature without the stress of a visa.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you can buy, then do so. In some areas prices have risen around $5000 a week, thats right...a week !!
Well that's still cheaper than $50,000 per month
Old Apr 7th 2015, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Enginner 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone who replied - first hand feedback is always the most valuable
thank you