Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:15 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Originally Posted by sky
Actually I wouldn't leave NZ for anything, I like it here :scared: it beats where I came from but I need more money that's all ... where can I get more money???
British food shops are good here if a bit expensive, and I do still crave mushy peas but last time I ordered a uk food parcel online I didn't like any of it ... my taste buds have obviously changed over time
Personally cant understand you love of mushy peas (only tried them the one time & that was more than enough for me ) but do understand your graving for them as something you miss from home. Can you not make your own?? My brother inlaw makes them all the time but my sister always complains about how long it takes. If I remember rightly he has to soak them overnight. Son & I have been craving a good kiwi steak & cheese pie for so long now...finally came across a decent recipe online & last night we sat down to a yummy home made steak & cheese pie. Both felt like we'd died & gone to heaven...that was until the indigestion set in a couple of hours later Oh well at least our craving was satisfied for a while.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shepslady
Personally cant understand you love of mushy peas (only tried them the one time & that was more than enough for me ) but do understand your graving for them as something you miss from home. Can you not make your own?? My brother inlaw makes them all the time but my sister always complains about how long it takes. If I remember rightly he has to soak them overnight. Son & I have been craving a good kiwi steak & cheese pie for so long now...finally came across a decent recipe online & last night we sat down to a yummy home made steak & cheese pie. Both felt like we'd died & gone to heaven...that was until the indigestion set in a couple of hours later Oh well at least our craving was satisfied for a while.

Cheers
Cindy
apparenly new world sells chip shop style mushy peas, check it out, not sure how expensive,

ive thought maybe i should buy the ice cream franchise and open a shop, would make a packet, hehe,

i do think people leave NZ cos of the lack of insulation, its freezing, im sitting on my lovesac (see www.lovesac.com) its nothing pervy, with my hoody on thick wooly socks and a fleece blanket and im only just warm, need to sort out my heating situation,

another thing we should do as we slowly and incideously take over the country (again) is bring in the insulation and double glazing thing
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:22 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugo
apparenly new world sells chip shop style mushy peas, check it out, not sure how expensive,

ive thought maybe i should buy the ice cream franchise and open a shop, would make a packet, hehe,

i do think people leave NZ cos of the lack of insulation, its freezing, im sitting on my lovesac (see www.lovesac.com) its nothing pervy, with my hoody on thick wooly socks and a fleece blanket and im only just warm, need to sort out my heating situation,

another thing we should do as we slowly and incideously take over the country (again) is bring in the insulation and double glazing thing
We've just got the hang of keeping a logburner fire going for a few hours and it does actually warm the house up lovely once it's going, but whilst we're waiting for it to warm up we're all sat in front of it watching. It's like kiwi telly but without the advert breaks every 5 minutes.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Talking Re: the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Originally Posted by bookemjano
We've just got the hang of keeping a logburner fire going for a few hours and it does actually warm the house up lovely once it's going, but whilst we're waiting for it to warm up we're all sat in front of it watching. It's like kiwi telly but without the advert breaks every 5 minutes.
The big secret? Use dry(like about 18 months) wood--Ti tree is best-gum is good as is macrocarpa-pine burns very quick, so use a mix . A properly set up log burner will go all night--up in morning, chuck a couple of smallish bits on, and away you go for another 24 hrs--theoretically it never goes out.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: the main reason people leave new zealand is a lack of.......

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
The big secret? Use dry(like about 18 months) wood--Ti tree is best-gum is good as is macrocarpa-pine burns very quick, so use a mix . A properly set up log burner will go all night--up in morning, chuck a couple of smallish bits on, and away you go for another 24 hrs--theoretically it never goes out.
When I was in the French alps I saw a great idea which doesn't seem to be used in NZ but no reason why it shouldn't - the logs are stacked up in shelves with sides on the sides of the house, so as well as providing log storage, the logs themselves make an extra layer of insulation on the outside of the house. Entire houses were covered with an extra layer of logs. This was really common.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:44 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Insulation & doubling glazing arent new to NZ.....when we built our house back in 1987 we had doubling glazing & loads of insulation which made our home real cosy in the winter & cool in the summer. Not new but something many Kiwis are just too stingy to pay for

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
When I was in the French alps I saw a great idea which doesn't seem to be used in NZ but no reason why it shouldn't - the logs are stacked up in shelves with sides on the sides of the house, so as well as providing log storage, the logs themselves make an extra layer of insulation on the outside of the house. Entire houses were covered with an extra layer of logs. This was really common.

Cheers

Buzzy

Some people do this but with so many people changing from fires to electric it isnt such a common sight anymore. Cant say I ever saw entire houses covered with a layer of logs though
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Sugo
I don't understand how it's so cold, I thought it is still summer.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boopy
Sugo
I don't understand how it's so cold, I thought it is still summer.
its just coming to the end but weve had hurricane winds from the artic, bit scary how cold it turned, must be cold cos the kiwis have put coats on, apparently it shoudl still be warm at this time but last few days bloody cold, was very pleased to have a huge wool quilt last night cos it was chilly,

apparently it will pass soon and be back to warm sun, some feel its going to be a bad winter,

would be kewl to summer in NZ and winter in Oz, maybe should start playing the lottery
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

its just coming to the end but weve had hurricane winds from the artic, bit scary how cold it turned, must be cold cos the kiwis have put coats on, apparently it shoudl still be warm at this time but last few days bloody cold, was very pleased to have a huge wool quilt last night cos it was chilly,

apparently it will pass soon and be back to warm sun, some feel its going to be a bad winter,

would be kewl to summer in NZ and winter in Oz, maybe should start playing the lottery
Don't say its going to be a bad winter. We are coming over in 5 wks & won't see summer til about christmas it's freezing in UK (-4 this morning, and its spring!!!). I'll go to M&S and get my thermals tomorrow!!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

camelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant future

tip top is ok but its no B&J or haagen Daz,
Oh man, Haagen Daz is The Best!! Especially from that Haagen Daz ice cream parlour in Leicester Square, London. They make the best deserts with it. Dunno if it's still there but when I lived in London and had a night on the tiles with me mates we always ended up in that place (b4 hitting the pubs, that is).
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

camelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's not a market leader.

Once you have tasted Ben and Jerrys you will NEVER consider any other ice cream to be as good.
Agreed to your first sentence. I don't understand how someone hasn't heard of B&J's. I haven't even tried it but I know it's a big brand ice-cream in the USA. I didn't know they even sold it in the UK. They never used to when I was back home.

I wanna try it - because my absolute fave is still Haagen Daz. They sell it here but not the best flavours.

I don't think Movenpick compares to Haagen Daz. But that's just my opinion, 'spose it comes down to your own personal taste at the end of the day.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwichild

The BIG U.S. Ice cream here is Baskins and Robbins and they retail through ice cream parlours and are a very good quality. Do you get Baskins and Robbins in NZ?
No, don't get B&R here.

NZ has got some good ice-cream producers, though, like Killinchy Gold, that's quite nice stuff - the Banoffee is good but the container is crap, it's a mission to get the lid of the tub! They need to seriously re-design their packaging!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky

British food shops are good here if a bit expensive, and I do still crave mushy peas but last time I ordered a uk food parcel online I didn't like any of it ... my taste buds have obviously changed over time

I LOVE mushy peas too! And when you get that craving nothing else will do!

But I hate those tinned mushy peas - yuck, they are disgusting. The best mushy peas are made from scratch by soaking and then cooking to a mush. Like the ones you get in most chippies back home.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Interesting: You can buy mushy peas here in oz, BUT they tend to be sold in particular supermarket chains. I'd recommend trying a few diff supermarkets and asking the store manager if they carry or can get them. Another option might be to briefly blend a can of peas (it might work!)

Hope that helps
Ta for the pea tip, but I tried that and the peas have an icky after-taste. They sell tinned mush peas here but I prefer made from scratch, personally.

I miss being able to go to the local chippy and get chips and mushy peas.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camelot
Ta for the pea tip, but I tried that and the peas have an icky after-taste. They sell tinned mush peas here but I prefer made from scratch, personally.

I miss being able to go to the local chippy and get chips and mushy peas.
Are mushy peas the same as Marrowfat peas? If so, I love them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.