MAF wooden things

Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default MAF wooden things

Just been looking at the MAF/biosecurity website where it says that wooden things must be declared. Now I know that if you try to bring a didgeridoo in from Aus then they want to know all about it and will confiscate/destroy it if it doesn't have the right paperwork (it happened to my nephew). But my question is do they need a list of things like Ikea shelving units or wooden bedside lampsand if so how do you prove that they are bug-free?
Thanks,
John.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAF wooden things

all our furniture was wood and we did not have to declare it, our garden furniture and bench the same and yes we did and it was inspected, we also bought lots of cnae and wicker work no problem, the wicker baskets were all in one box and inspected, TBH ikea furniture will not be a problem
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

I think from what I read on the website its mainly untreated wood or unpainted / varnished woods that cause a problem
If its wooden furniture then I guess its either solid and varnished or if its flat pack stuff then its covered with melamine so again it shouldn't be a problem.?
If your bringing in a pallet or a wooden crate then this is a problem as it needs to have a certified stamp to say its been treated properly...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:00 am
Just Joined

alec_lawton will become famous soon enough

When in doubt - declare it.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
I think from what I read on the website its mainly untreated wood or unpainted / varnished woods that cause a problem
If its wooden furniture then I guess its either solid and varnished or if its flat pack stuff then its covered with melamine so again it shouldn't be a problem.?
If your bringing in a pallet or a wooden crate then this is a problem as it needs to have a certified stamp to say its been treated properly...
The Ikea stuff is pine with no paint or varnish - one of their cheaper ranges, but made from sturdy wooden planks and poles like; http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60166573
It says it's untreated in the description.
John.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

We also brought in masses of wooden furniture, both treated and untreated, included a lot of antique furniture. The shipping company told us we didn't have to declare any of it (although it's all listed on the shipping inventory anyway), and there were no issues with bringing any of it in.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:01 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

It totally depends on whether you get an arsey customs officer looking at your container. If they want to be pedantic then they will.

My advise is to declare everything - let them decide if it's a risk item (there is no charge for doing this) - otherwise you could be whacked with a hefty fine.

For example - when I travel to and from UK I always declare fruit, milk, cereals.... even though all I have are Rowntrees fruit pastels, cadbury dairy milk and packets of weetabix. The same rule of thumb applies for MAF and shipping stuff over.