Maf etc

Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Maf etc

Our container arrived in NZ today and is at NZ Van lines in Auckland it seems, which is good news but.........

The delivery address for the container is classed as rural so NZ van lines are saying the Maf inspection has to be done at the NZ van lines depot. Has anyone else had this as i thought the inspection was done at your home when the crate was opened?

I would have prefered to see the crate when first opened myself but NZ van lines say the area the inspection is done is customs/maff only.

I smell a lot of BS..........

Last edited by teambwr47; Sep 25th 2007 at 12:47 am.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Team Embos OH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maf etc

That is BS, we were told that because we were in Rangiora it would be classed as rural, which would mean that MAF would charge extra to come all that way.
It cost us an extra $140 i think, but they still came to the house and inspected it
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Also got told by NZ Van Lines yesterday that ALL containers get MAF inspected which if i remember from numerous posts here is not the case.

Sounds like a way to charge for an inspection in every case but maybe the inspection never takes place a certain number or times and the 'fee' goes to NZ Van Lines....
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Anybody know what the turn around time is for the crates as another line we were fed yesterday was that as we don't want our stuff until 3 weeks after its arrival that it would need to be unpacked to avoid a late return charge on the crate.

Going to call Maf and get some answers.....

Last edited by teambwr47; Sep 25th 2007 at 2:09 am.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Our stuff was inspected by MAF at the NZ van lines depot, and we paid the fee to NZ van lines, now we dont live in a rural or didnt at the time, but I was talking to Michelle at weekend and we thought that it may have been that we had a part container (as we shared it) so they had to unpack at depot so to send to correct peoples...were as she had a full one to herself and her tribe so there MAF inspection was at the house

dont know whether this does or doesnt make any difference but thought I would offer my 2c worth or is it 10c worth now

hope this helps a bit

dawn
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently, this is a common scam pulled by removal companies....
If I may quote from another site.... (I'd put the link but it's not allowed)
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just spoke to Citizens Advice and their advice is to check with MAF (I've been emailing them and they're faxing me their invoice) and then go to the delivery company and ask them to account for the difference.

CAB went to the Consummer's Institute lawyers on my behalf and this was their advice to me.

1. Get a copy of the invoice from MAF. If you think you have overpaid then-
2. Phone up the company, ask to speak to the OWNER, they stressed this. Ask why him/her there is a difference.
3. If you are not satisfied with the response say that you have advice from the consumer's institute that you are entiled to be paid back the amount you have overpaid. If you paid in cash you are entitled to ask for it back in cash.
4. Keep things nice but if they refuse to pay out say that you have no option but to take the matter to a tribunal.

Tribunal charges are $30.
.................................................. ....................................

I've just spoken to our company, didn't get as far as the owner but spoke to the regional manager who will look into it. He said they may have added on a handling charge for getting the stuff off the container for MAF. When I explained that there was no handling - the guys just put the MAF stuff to one side as it came off the container, he backed off on that one. Seemed very keen that I didn't speak to the owner, who was based in Wellington.

CAB would be interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else, the consumers institute would like to know too. Sounds to me like it's quite common practice for our company to just charge a standard fee from all its customers, pay MAF and then pocket the difference.

Anonymous

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants to query their fee with MAF this is the link
http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/enquir...-programme.htm.

You'll need to enter the correct title in the "subject" field though!

Still no response from the regional manager so I've phoned up the Wellington Head office and spoke to the owner's PA who will look into it.
Hope this helps - don't know if the link still works, but make sure you get a receipt for any money paid to your removal company and what it's supposed to be paying for - then double check with MAF that the amount you paid is correct.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

To those who had a container for their sole use.......

How long after the container arriving in NZ did you take delivery of it to your home?

The ship with our container onboard arrived today the 25th Sept and we are looking to have it delivered out to us on the 16th Oct so in all 21 days after the ship docked.

If you had a delay like ours did you have to pay any charges or have the container unpacked at the removal company?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH

How long after the container arriving in NZ did you take delivery of it to your home?

The ship with our container onboard arrived today the 25th Sept and we are looking to have it delivered out to us on the 16th Oct so in all 21 days after the ship docked.

If you had a delay like ours did you have to pay any charges or have the container unpacked at the removal company?
Let me guess who you're dealing with there ... would it be someone by the name of TT ?? I so pity you if it is!

My stuff was being sent to CHRISTCHURCH - I live in Auckland !!!
I paid for Customs/MAF clearance - I cleared them both!
I paid for full pack & unpack service inc. building ALL beds - they opened about 4-5 boxes and left!
TT invoiced me for their services and MAF - MAF took CASH when they came to my house to clear stuff

I got onto UK about this and received a cheque payment from them apologising for their mistakes and haven't asked for a payment for the $81 I refused to pay lol

Our stuff landed on the Tuesday and I gave him so much grief about the Christchurch thing, I had it on the Saturday!

Don't take any crap!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep its T..o T...... and no we won't be taking any crap as i've made enqs with MAF directly about what we've been told today.

We can't actually move until the 16th as i'm going to be in Oz and we only get the house on the 13th...so timescales are not the issue its the BS you get fed about what they have to do and MAF will not go out to a rural address etc.

Whitford is just 11 miles as the crow flies from NZVL's depot and ok its a bit more rural than nearby Howick etc but its hardly the back of beyond.

I think i have many interesting discussions with TT to come........
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:42 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH

We asked for a 2 week delay on our container to be delivered. Had to pay a handling fee & storage fees. Standard I think as containers are actually the property of the shipping company NOT the movers.

We used Crown, so can't help re MAF, as they dealt with all the hassle & the costs were covered in their fee
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Maf cleared ours at the depot, but like S & K it was a shared container, we had no choice and we are definitely not rural! We got it 3 weeks after it arrived in the country, their fault not ours plus bank holidays etc. We were told we had 4 weeks once we received it to inform them of any damages. We also had paid for unpacking etc but with hindsight we wanted to unpack our own stuff so it was a waste of money to pay for that. Maf did check our stuff as the kids bikes weren't cleaned well enough and we had to pay charges - our fault
donnaf