Madness?

Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madness?

I think I already know the answer to this one, but to accept a job for $60,000 and move out for 3 or 4 years as an 'adventure', and to rent in Wellington supporting a wife and child (who may be able to find part time work once settled) is financial madness?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madness?

Obviously there are other factors to take into account regarding lifestyle, housing expectations, moving costs, car, savings etc. But do you survive on £23,000 in the UK? Personally we couldn't, but we do live in an expensive part of the UK (e.g work season ticket alone has just rocketed to over £3000 per year now - gulp!).

Checkout trademe.co.nz for rental costs. Try doing your weekly shop on an nz internet shopping site such as woolworths. There are other threads which contain electricity, gas, internet access costs etc.

Good luck in your decision - there's certainly alot to way up.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zetland
I think I already know the answer to this one, but to accept a job for $60,000 and move out for 3 or 4 years as an 'adventure', and to rent in Wellington supporting a wife and child (who may be able to find part time work once settled) is financial madness?
I think rental is going to be the problem. Welly is very expensive for accom. If you get PR you will be eligible for some tax credits that will help, we earn $80ksih p/a and get about $6-7k a year..BUT we have 3 kids..more kids + more$$. Your tax will be about 19.5% up to the 1st $38k then 34% I think for the rest. There is no allowance like in the UK..EVERY cent is charged. there is a 2-3% levy aswell for ACC..a bit like Nat. Ins. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a genius idea- have used the Woolworths online site, done a 'weekly' shop and put it into the salary calculator on emigrate nz site. Along with the other estimates, it does seem okay. Difficult one really. We've always liked NZ but our jobs were never on the wanted list. After our baby was born, we discover that they now make the long term shortage list enabling us to emigrate. Trouble is, now we're only down to one salary! So do we chase our dream blindly, or face up to the fact that we won't be earning the sort of money we'd need to 'enjoy' our adventure, and may in fact be digging a one-way financial tunnel. Hmmm. More pondering. Thank you all for your input....
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

zahirshah is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you zenland.. When we are married and baby is born, we stuck to the past and future.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Madness?

Can you find a position outside of Wellington. Honestly I couldn't live on $60k in Wellington with a family but out in the countryside you can rent some really cheap houses . There are some English folks I know outside of a little town (friendly Fielding) who work in Palmerston North and they rent a very tidy 4 bedroom house with a big garden and garage for under $250 a week .

Is there any flexibility in where you are employed? Just a thought .