British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Madeline,3yr old,missing in Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/madeline-3yr-old-missing-portugal-448338/)

danny.f May 7th 2007 11:38 pm

Madeline,3yr old,missing in Portugal

Dunno if anyone here wants to be involved-but I understand there is a number of ExPats involved in the search for this girl-still believed to be alive.

Just thought,if we're the 'Expat family' we think we are,it wouldn't hurt to wish them luck on the Portugal site,no matter how stupid the parents have been.:(

Avid May 7th 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Madeline,3yr old,missing in Portugal

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4750235)
Dunno if anyone here wants to be involved-but I understand there is a number of ExPats involved in the search for this girl-still believed to be alive.

Just thought,if we're the 'Expat family' we think we are,it wouldn't hurt to wish them luck on the Portugal site,no matter how stupid the parents have been.:(

Have you read the thread on the Portugal site? I thought it was going to be hundreds of well-wishers offering their prayers for the missing girl but instead it's a big Internet cat fight about whether the parents are guilty of negligence!

Shameful.

tootsie May 8th 2007 12:29 am

Really?! that's so sad :( .

danny.f May 8th 2007 3:06 am

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 4750379)
Really?! that's so sad :( .

Did read it,yes. There's some amazing slanging matches going on,it's taken 5 pages for someone to ask what they can do!!

kwprwn May 8th 2007 3:28 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4750647)
Did read it,yes. There's some amazing slanging matches going on,it's taken 5 pages for someone to ask what they can do!!

its so sad that people are arguing over it, I am sure the parents now regret leaving the children alone and as someone said Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but surely the best thing to do is help if you live near rather than argue over the rights or wrongs of it

danny.f May 8th 2007 3:31 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4750686)
its so sad that people are arguing over it, I am sure the parents now regret leaving the children alone and as someone said Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but surely the best thing to do is help if you live near rather than argue over the rights or wrongs of it

Indeed love. Nice to see some supportive messages from our site though eh?
Nice to see some worldwide unity!
Would die if it was mine though.

kwprwn May 8th 2007 3:42 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4750697)
Indeed love. Nice to see some supportive messages from our site though eh?
Nice to see some worldwide unity!
Would die if it was mine though.

it is nice to see some posts from NZ

even though I dont have kids, if it happened to anyone I know with kids or my sister, it would be just awful, my heart goes out to them, it does sound like a kidnapping as the other two kids were left alone as far as I can see

lapsed kiwi May 8th 2007 6:56 am

It's a bit sad when parents get called negligent for leaving the kids in a locked room in a nice hotel and checking on them frequently, just shows the level of paranoia - justified or otherwise - that exists. We went on many of that sort of holiday while living in UK, and nearly everyone with kids used baby monitors or the kid-watching service to enjoy the evenings. Very sad if this has to stop because of one loony.

zoej May 8th 2007 7:39 am

Whats done is done.

Lets just hope they find her ok, my daughter is the same age and just as pretty - my heart does go out to them, they will be feeling guilty enough without others pointing fingers.

ezzkazz May 8th 2007 10:57 am

I feel very sad for the little girl and I too have one at that age. Whilst I have expressed my opinions on the Portugal site, I have said what I wanted to say there and wont bring it on this thread to start any ill feeling.
I do feel we all have a right to express our opinions and although some may feel strongly that it was ok to leave a child, some are bound to disagree.

The parents will have to live with whats happened and this will be painful enough for them and although I am one of the ones that disagree I still would like to say that I am thinking of them and to wish them a happy outcome and that their little girl returns safely, as many so rightly say, this is the most important thing.

I hope today brings better news. :zzz:

simonmarkellis May 8th 2007 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ezzkazz (Post 4751687)
I feel very sad for the little girl and I too have one at that age. Whilst I have expressed my opinions on the Portugal site, I have said what I wanted to say there and wont bring it on this thread to start any ill feeling.
I do feel we all have a right to express our opinions and although some may feel strongly that it was ok to leave a child, some are bound to disagree.

The parents will have to live with whats happened and this will be painful enough for them and although I am one of the ones that disagree I still would like to say that I am thinking of them and to wish them a happy outcome and that their little girl returns safely, as many so rightly say, this is the most important thing.

I hope today brings better news. :zzz:

I totally agree

Sleeping Beauty May 8th 2007 11:30 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 4751704)
I totally agree

i have been reading the post(s) on this since it happened. i am sat here upset and very teary thinking about that poor little one and what might happen to her/has happened to her. i cannot believe some comments on here, debating the issue. at the end of the day, a 3 year old is missing. i cant seem to get this awful situation out of my head since thursday, the poor little thing. god only knows what her parents are going through. i keep trying to get more info, but the tv in australia is not very forthcoming on life in europe :(. i just hope and pray, and then hope and pray some more, for her safe return, and hope that whoever has taken her comes to his/her senses soon. sorry to but in on your nz forum guys.

Divine Comedy May 8th 2007 12:25 pm

I dont think anyone can sit in judgement about the parents of ANY abducted child. We all do our best as parents 'everyday' and it is not down to our parenting that some sick individuals decide to act out there abhorrent fantastys. The ONLY people that should take any blame are those sick individuals that blight any society [not just the UK] .

My prayers go to the family of Madeline and any other family to be thrown into that situation.x.

Leighlou May 8th 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy (Post 4751977)
I dont think anyone can sit in judgement about the parents of ANY abducted child. We all do our best as parents 'everyday' and it is not down to our parenting that some sick individuals decide to act out there abhorrent fantastys. The ONLY people that should take any blame are those sick individuals that blight any society [not just the UK] .

My prayers go to the family of Madeline and any other family to be thrown into that situation.x.

Here, here.
That family are going through enough hell without having to put up with the condemnation of others. Save it for when she is found alive and well. And, if not.... well just save it! They do not need any further punishment (if indeed deserve any at all).
They and Madeleine are in my prayers.

ezzkazz May 9th 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4753590)
Here, here.
That family are going through enough hell without having to put up with the condemnation of others. Save it for when she is found alive and well. And, if not.... well just save it! They do not need any further punishment (if indeed deserve any at all).
They and Madeleine are in my prayers.

I think many of us will have to agree to disagree regarding Maddies parents. Atleast that will be one thing we agree on. ;)